What was Franklins called in the early 90s?

I think it was, Franklin's moved into the pub, kept the front half as a pub and moved the back half (and downstairs) into a restaurant. Rodney Franklin had previously run a restaurant (with his late wife, a fine actress) as part of his Antiques Market in the Walworth Road, which I think was closed for redevelopment. Franklin's was always, with him and his partners, a pub and a restaurant, not a 'gastro-pub'.

In the early 90s the site where Franklins is now was used I think for storage.

I had seen signs up about hazardous chemicals / warning signs.

There is an old sign above the Franklin sign which says the name of the old pub, but that pub was not operational immediately before Franklins opened for some years that I know of, certainly not after 1990.

I think you can still see the old name in the tiling over the awning - The Victory. It was SE22 Bar at the end of the 90s with good, affordable bar snacks. And then it became Franklin's and, though good, the prices pushed it well outside the casual cheap lunch option that I thought I was signing up for when I moved to ED. Little did I realise then how much more of this stuff there would be coming down the line. (I do like Franklin's bar nd still go there, but it is a bit pricey. Go on, admit it.)

Probably good quality bacon and decent bread, with real butter and some extras. Sounds a fair price. If you don't think it's a fair price you can go to one of the many caffs and have a slice of mass-produced bacon between some crappy sliced white with a smear of marg for ?3.50.

If I liked bacon sandwiches I know which one I'd go for if I wasn't making my own.

I used to go to the Franklin's restaurant in the Walworth road Antiques store for Sunday lunch after a big Saturday night in the early 90s. Was such a fantastic place, massive portions and cheap with the added bonus of people browsing for antiques around your table while you ate.

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Bacon Sandwich ?6.75.

>

> I am not sure if they charge service charge on

> top of that.

No they don't.

And their bacon sandwich is massive, made with proper bread and really good bacon, and I'd happily pay more than that for it. It's absolutely delicious.

As with all their bar snacks, it is excellent value.

I remember it was a car tyre fitters before it was Franklins and the new cheese shop, next door, I think, was a charity shop where the two women working there used to smoke like chimneys. That was probably late 90s maybe. Mr Franklin originally had his restaurant in the Woolworth Road before he came to ED as someone already pointed out.

Cheers.