Forum Sponsors

All Round Renovation

https://sjbsashwindows.co.uk/

https://www.gokayfitness.com/3-months-body-transformation

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your builder, plumber, electrician or carpenter?
Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
messageRe: Alleyns Junior School - planning
Posted by Orange owl 10 November, 2019 22:18

You should choose your friends more carefully

Posted by gkb 10 November, 2019 22:34

It is clear to anyone who lives locally that when the Foundation schools are on holiday the local traffic reduces considerably. Increased traffic at school opening and closing times is due to the success of the local state schools which serve the local catchment areas, resulting in the Foundation schools having to attract pupils from further afield causing increased traffic transporting children into our local area. There is a huge amount of local resentment towards Alleyns in particular and their continued lack of consideration over the number of cars owned by their staff and pupils that park in the neighbouring residential roads. This planning application is totally selfish and of course just to enable the school to make more profits irrespective of the local community and local environment.

Posted by Asset 11 November, 2019 11:12

We're talking about pollution and traffic levels - it's not a debate about private v state education. That's for another thread.

By the school's own admission on the impact statements over 40% of junior pupils and staff drive to the school. Much higher than for the local state schools (on less than 10%)

You cannot deny that the foundation school traffic causes a huge problem in the area.

Posted by DuncanW 14 November, 2019 18:18

To be fair, there has been a significant increase in demand for both junior and senior school places in the area. The state sector has increased capacity with whole new schools being built and some existing schools increasing intake from 2 form to 3 form entry.
Although the independent system is unpopular with some, as it stands there is no compelling reason why the independent sector should not also increase capacity.

There is an issue though with volume of traffic and a worrying level of inconsiderate and dangerous driving and parking around these schools though. As has been mentioned already, the nature of these schools means a higher proportion travel in, plus they are more likely to have siblings attending different schools which means itís more likely they are driven to school, so most of the issues that also exist at local state schools are multiplied.

I believe the council are looking closely at traffic management specifically around Calton and Townley Road. I hope they are bold enough to implement the solutions that are needed to address this quite serious problem.

Posted by hammerman 14 November, 2019 22:57

Yes Alleyns really do need to addresss the parking situation in the area as do the new Charter School.

It was also a sad day when the local scouts hut/teenage get together/todder group was suddenly taken over by Alleyns a few years ago with not a lot of warning to these groups. This caused a loss of a local venue with a detriment effect on the local community.

Posted by alice 14 November, 2019 23:11

D. The solution to the parking problem at alleyns involves using the massive space they have between the school building and the public road. This would be much safer for students and those using townley road.

Posted by goldilocks 15 November, 2019 07:40

I don't think there's only a 'parking problem' for Alleyn's and the other independents, rather there's a 'driving problem'. Gridlocked roads making it dangerous to cycle on or cross as a pedestrian and illegal levels of air quality are a huge concern, the parking for me is a secondary issue (though also a problem).

As above, I think that they should be able to expand from a commercial perspective, but not to the extent this brings harm to the rest of the community - ie this commercial need shouldn't come above all else!

Hammerman - interested to understand why you commented on the new Charter school - it was my understanding that their figures for how kids get to school had in excess of 90% walking - does this not seem accurate?

Posted by James Barber 15 November, 2019 09:20

Hi Hammerman,
I think you're talking about JAGS and the Sea Cadets and the hut they rented from the Dulwich Estate.

--------------------
Regards jamesvbarber@gmail.com
former Liberal Democrat Councillor for East Dulwich Ward (2006-2018)
[www.jamesbarber.org.uk]
[twitter.com]

Posted by macutd 15 November, 2019 11:46

James, I hope that you're up for election. I would defiantly vote for you

Posted by Penguin68 15 November, 2019 12:11

I would defiantly vote for you

That would be defiantly ignoring the electoral pact with the Greens, would it?

Posted by alice 15 November, 2019 12:52

Goldilocks there is a parking problem caused by the many coaches that park along that road.

Posted by goldilocks 15 November, 2019 19:52

I agree that the ridiculous parking of multiple coaches along Townley is a problem - and the foundation schools really ought to look to a solution that isn't huge coaches travelling through and parking on wholly unsuitable roads. EV minibuses might be a better option - or a central drop off point with a 'walking bus to the school' from that point.

I guess the main problem is that there is no mechanism at the moment to force any change. The roads are providing free parking for everyone and there isn't really a way of restricting it only for foundation coaches much as we might want to do that. I'm also torn - as I definitely wouldn't want more foundation school parents to drive their offspring to the schools so the coaches are a necessary evil to a certain extent (though as per above - they could be much improved).

Posted by macutd 16 November, 2019 08:48

park the coaches on site. Alleyns has plenty of land. They just need a little tarmac.

Posted by Townleygreen 16 November, 2019 17:32

macutd said "park the coaches on site. Alleyns has plenty of land. They just need a little tarmac."

Alleyns land is Metropolitan Open Land - you can't tarmac it even.

Posted by alice 16 November, 2019 17:57

Weíve heard this before - outdated rubbish. In front of the school is half tarmac anyway if there was a will it would be done. there isnít.

Posted by Townleygreen 16 November, 2019 18:21

No, Alice you are wrong. Southwark have not allowed car parking on any of the open land at the school. It's zoned as MOL. Take it up with Southwark but they won't agree.

Posted by alice 16 November, 2019 18:25

The land in front of the school does not fulfil any of the criteria for MOL.

Posted by Townleygreen 16 November, 2019 21:01

I can assure you that that is what Southwark has classified it as

Posted by alice 16 November, 2019 21:13

I donít doubt you. There are grounds to get it reclassified. Iím trying to look for mol maps.

Posted by sillywoman 16 November, 2019 21:13

...and the school staff car park used to be in the quadrangle (behind the main building). Anyway, regardless the point is that they have plenty of land, and plenty of clout - Im sure Southwark could be persuaded to agree to use some of Alleyn's MOL acres for a coach park as and when it becomes convenient for Alleyns (which I suspect will probably be pretty soon, once the streets around them have been forced into having CPZ's so Alleyn's teachers can't park their cars there anymore, and the yummy's and nanny's can't park to collect the darlings). Watching with interest.

Posted by intexasatthe moment 16 November, 2019 22:20

Wasn't the planning application for the theatre building orginally refused by Southwark because it was to be built on MOL ? I know it was appealed and that it was dealt with by ? public enquiry .

Anyone remember the details ?

Posted by MarkT 16 November, 2019 23:02

MOL is shown on Southwark Policies map:
[www.southwark.gov.uk]
MarkT

Posted by alice 16 November, 2019 23:06

TG A precedent was set in September 2012 when the building on the MOL at Alleyns was approved.
MT. thanks for that

Posted by Townleygreen 18 November, 2019 13:43

Interesting - that shows the area in front of the main school building is NOT MOL in fact. BUT it is a conservation area.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2019:11:18:13:46:56 by Townleygreen.

Posted by goldilocks 18 November, 2019 14:11

I don't think that there has been a suggestion that the sweeping driveway was MOL - more that the playing fields were. In either event there are 2 points really with the application - one of the coaches and parking issues that may be alleviated by making better parking provision, but the other and bigger issue in my view is the impact on air quality.

Calton Avenue monitoring showed pollution levels way in excess of legal limits. The gridlocked congestion that is in place every day the independent schools are in is clear as to the reason for this. Increasing junior school (for clarity - actually infant places here) is very likely to further compound this issue as a majority are likely to be driven.

We need urgent changes to the way the independent school pupils travel to school - more appropriate coaches and routing and less ability for parents to drop off at the gates. Once addressed, then consideration could be given to increased numbers, but not before!

Posted by intexasatthe moment 18 November, 2019 18:45

I think it was TownleyGreen that suggested that car parking could not be allowed on any of the open land ( inc the area fronting the main school building ) because it was zoned as MOL .

Posted by James Barber 25 November, 2019 20:42

Creating more parking begets more traffic. Which then begets more pressure for parking.....
The key is to stop creating more parking demand for the extra parents and staff this planning proposal would create.
The new CPZ will alleviate some of the pressure for residents. It is likely to displace parking pressure from school staff and parents onto Townley Road / Calton Avenue etc.

--------------------
Regards jamesvbarber@gmail.com
former Liberal Democrat Councillor for East Dulwich Ward (2006-2018)
[www.jamesbarber.org.uk]
[twitter.com]

Posted by creditwheredue 20 December, 2019 12:32

Letter through the postbox today. Work commences 6th January.

Posted by Melihoople 20 December, 2019 12:52

Really? What does the letter say exactly, I can see anything on Southwark planning. Thanks

messageRe: Alleyns Junior School - planningattachment
Posted by creditwheredue 20 December, 2019 15:13

Hereís the letter

Attachments: EC1C76DD-57F7-41E6-B138-E5F7893028E1.jpeg (18.3KB)  
Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum