Alleyns Junior School - planning

Bicknell

I don't think that there has been a suggestion that the sweeping driveway was MOL - more that the playing fields were. In either event there are 2 points really with the application - one of the coaches and parking issues that may be alleviated by making better parking provision, but the other and bigger issue in my view is the impact on air quality.

Calton Avenue monitoring showed pollution levels way in excess of legal limits. The gridlocked congestion that is in place every day the independent schools are in is clear as to the reason for this. Increasing junior school (for clarity - actually infant places here) is very likely to further compound this issue as a majority are likely to be driven.

We need urgent changes to the way the independent school pupils travel to school - more appropriate coaches and routing and less ability for parents to drop off at the gates. Once addressed, then consideration could be given to increased numbers, but not before!

Creating more parking begets more traffic. Which then begets more pressure for parking.....

The key is to stop creating more parking demand for the extra parents and staff this planning proposal would create.

The new CPZ will alleviate some of the pressure for residents. It is likely to displace parking pressure from school staff and parents onto Townley Road / Calton Avenue etc.

• 4 weeks later...

It's not to do with the Junior school expansion. They are installing a Multi-Use Games Area next to the sport's hall.

Interesting that we have had zero notification of this planning application, no signs up on the lampposts etc. Work will take 3 months.

It's the 400th Celebration of the Foundation of Edward Alleyn's Foundation this year- how long have you been here? you can move. I've been surrounded by building works in my residence for 5 years- so 3 months is nothing. People forego expensive holidays, cars etc to send their children to these schools...unless you are as well off as Bob Geldof or Paul Greengrass, or Timothy West and Prunella Scales....

Just because an institution has been in place for a while doesn't mean it can do what it likes seenbeen. It's good that through threads like this Alleyns can be held somewhat to account (they don't seem to listen to individual local residents for sure). If it was clear that the ED community was getting something back from this parasite squatting in our midst then personally I would feel more favourably inclined toward their ever encroaching expansion plans.

As for the "people make sacrifices" nonsense ... I don't know what kind of cars or holidays you imagine folk are giving up to afford the ?15k plus per annum school fees, but I can state that even if we took no holidays and went carless it wouldn't even touch one years worth of fees, I would guess that there are many, many others in the same boat. Don't kid yourself - you have to be rich to send your children there full stop.

Saying Alleyn?s is a parasite squatting in our midst is quite a strong statement. As you were wondering if they give anything back to the community I thought I?d sent you this, which is on their website.

https://www.alleyns.org.uk/community-partnership

https://www.alleyns.org.uk/community-partnership/sharing-facilities

https://www.schoolstogether.org/case-studies/?schoolId=81899&page=1 (7 pages)

Alleyn?s gets a lot of bad publicity on this forum and some of it is well justified. However, they also do good and I think that?s sometimes worth mentioning as well.

• 4 weeks later...

I have received an email from Southwark planning to say that there is updated information from the applicant for this.

I don't time to look in detail this week but, from a first-pass, I *think* that they've got some smart consultants in to say that there's no problem whatsoever with pollution or congestion created by their school

Would be interested to read anybodys views who has time to properly understand what theyre doing here

https://planning.southwark.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=PYNGQHKBIKR00

ok, so I've started to get drawn into looking at this in more detail.

It looks like they have got Hoare Lea to do an air quality assessment. To paraphrase: theyre saying that the air quality standards in the area aren't above acceptable limits and that the delta from Alleyns expansion isn't significant.

Without even reading it in detail, I've already spotted that theyre basing their assessment on data from a range of monitoring sites that are nowhere near the school. I would say that its likely that nobody going to this school passes any of the sites they reference - they may as well used monitoring points in Sunderland. And, from that, they extrapolate that the air quality is fine around Alleyns

As I say, this is only from a first pass - my guess is that there is plenty of other twisting of data and false extrapolations going on. Interested to see what others think/find

I've also had a brief look through this and there really isn't anything that would change the concerns to the previous application - least of all the air quality report uses the results of monitors up to well over 1km away, yet ignores the readings of those on Calton Avenue.

One thing I noticed in the information submitted is that there will be two 'walking busses' starting in January 2020. One from Sainsburys on Dog Kennel Hill, via Greendale and one from Dulwich park. Has anyone see these? I haven't noticed any walking busses on Greendale, so assuming they haven't started it yet?

The recent documents submitted by Alleyns are intended to address the concerns raised in the objections to the initial plans.

The date for responding to these additional documents is very short - it closes on the 29th of January which really doesn't give any reasonable time for responding to them.

As noted by posters above, Alleyn's have submitted additional documents in support of their application. The timescale for submitting comments has been extended to 12 February. Based on the documents uploaded to the council site there doesn't seem to be anything that addresses the concerns already raised.

Please click on the link below to see our short film showing why we don't believe that any further expansion should be permitted which could worsen the existing situation:

https://twitter.com/CleanAirDulwich/status/1220453205718511616

There seems to be a lot of confusion about what's happening at Alleyns. From what I understand they are expanding their intake at 4 (reception) and reducing it at 7 (year 3). The school will essentially be two-form throughout rather than starting as one-form and then growing to two-form from year 3.

The total number of pupils moving the secondary school will therefore be unchanged.

Children aren't allowed to take the coaches until Year 3 from what I understand and as year 3 total pupil numbers won't increase, there should be no impact on the total number of coaches either.

The expansion in pupil numbers may result in people driving for the reception intake. However, that intake is usually quite local. To the poster who suggested the geographical spread is widening as locals are foregoing the school for state options should keep in mind that demand for all school places has gone up. Alleyns has about 200 applications currently for the 18 reception places.