CPZ's

Hi,

Does anyone know when the parking controls will return ?

There is nothing about this on the Southwark council web site.

I did speak to a traffic warden last week who told me they were to re introduced today 010620.

• 2 weeks later...

Proving the parking levels have absolutely nothing to do with commuters...a key premise of the rationale for introducing it. This flawed, anti-democratic project should be cancelled but won?t be as we all know what it is really about: raising money. And local businesses and the majority of residents can go hang.

roywj Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Traffic & parking levels are almost back to pre

> Covid levels - when is the East Dulwich parking

> zone going to get back on track and implemented?

I don't agree with you sporthuntor but maybe different for your area. There was no traffic/parking issues where I live whilst people were in lockdown. Since people have begun to return to normality the traffic and parking has begun to increase. CPZ East Dulwich needs to go ahead as planned as will only get worse as things return to normal.

Parking seems to be classed as an issue if you are unable to park on your own street but can find space on streets close by. This seems a poor reason to cause mass CPZ, which is what the ED rollout around the station has triggered.

The reality is there is currently enough space for residents to park, but perhaps not always or even often on their own street, a walk to the car may be necessary. Granted, the council has also systematically tried to reduce resident parking by whatever means they can. But, the demand for CPZ seems to have been largely driven by those, some living close to the station, who expect a parking space on their street close to their home as a matter of course. How ironic that this apparently anti- car council is facilitating and supporting the mindset that a parking space outside our home is a right.

It's not about being able to park in one's own street. It's being able to reliably park within 3 or 4 streets which is hardly ever possible where we live under normal circumstances. Since March I haven't once had to park more than a street away. So clearly the absence of commuters has made a significant difference.

That the council has manufactured its own, self-serving, post-consultation rationale for creating a sole zone on the west side of LL and not the east is a craven and deliberate act that will haunt it forever.

But then why was it seen as necessary to put in an all day CPZ around the station and not just a few hours to deter commuters?

Surely the reason the council did not roll out CPZ everywhere was because consultation revealed a majority of roads did not want it? However, by putting in the above they know it will create parking pressure elsewhere.

If I went out early in the morning, I could rarely park in our street when returning home. We're not *that* close to the station so I was surprised that the CPZ has made such a difference.

This is Bellenden Road just after the signs went up. I agree that parking outside your house isn't a right, but it's nice to park nearby when you're juggling shopping, a 4-year-old and all of his stuff.

I can also confirm that the traffic wardens have been out in force this week. Haven't noticed any parking tickets on Bellenden Road, but plenty on Muschamp, Marsden, Ondine, etc.

Those photos don't confirm that the cars which were there were all commuter's cars though.

I live on a road that rejected the CPZ and parking is the same as it was before March - you can usually get a space near home but often you have to park two or three roads away.

That might indicate that some people who live in the new CPZs have simply moved their cars ot oru roads. Which would please the council enormously no doubt.

We're not *that* close to the station so I was surprised that the CPZ has made such a difference.

That is because you believed the propaganda that it was all filthy outsiders coming to our streets and stealing our parking places as they caught trains into the City for their jobs in banking and stock trading.

In fact we do have commuters - these are the people commuting into ED so they can teach our children, serve in our shops, work in our hospitals and health centres etc. etc. And now it's so much more difficult for them. So they'll be looking for jobs where they can drive to work and park (after all, why would they be using the poor public transport we do have, given the Covid-19 situation?)

Not that the apparat in Tooley St will care - they don't like us - neither do the councillors we elected, it appears.

"In fact we do have commuters - these are the people commuting into ED so they can teach our children, serve in our shops, work in our hospitals and health centres etc. etc. And now it's so much more difficult for them. So they'll be looking for jobs where they can drive to work and park (after all, why would they be using the poor public transport we do have, given the Covid-19 situation?)"

Why are these wonderful blessed sainted types not using public transport like mere mortals do?

I remember a local nursery near us bleating that their staff drove to work and they'd have to close if a CPZ came in as apparently none of their staff could use public transport.

Three years later and the same nursery is busier than ever. Consider me shocked...

Why are these wonderful blessed sainted types not using public transport like mere mortals do?

Putting aside the requests from government and TfL not to use public transport at the moment; the reason may be that unless they are travelling broadly north:south then their journey, if it can be made at all, will be a nightmare. Public transport is not optimised east:west for us, where there are buses they tend to be slow and very circuitous. I used to work in Greenwich; driving took 20-25 minutes in the rush hour, 17 minutes outside (door to door). Public transport's best times were around 90 minutes (worse outside the rush hour when frequency reduced) and often plagued by cancellations. I can drive to Ladywell in 12 minutes, the bus (amazingly there is one) takes 40.

When I travelled into town, then public transport (except when it was cancelled!) was a great option, and it would have been silly to have chosen differently.

Therein lies the issue with the public transport headbangers - I am not sure many of them have actually used it - or certainly not tried to use it in anything other than a north/south capacity. London developed on traditional linear conurbation lines as the rail and tube networks were built out - it wasn't built for mass transit for anything other than a north to south/in and out of London manner and not much has improved in the last 100 years - look at the trouble they are having with CrossRail.