Are the East Dulwich Deli Sausage Rolls the best?

After extensive trials and a personal campaign, earlier this year, to see them return to the EDD I vote their Organic Gloucester Old Spot sausage rolls the best I have ever tasted. Crisp, flaky pastry enclosing moist, perfectly seasoned pork meat. If you're lucky enough to get one that is still warm from the oven it's a gastronomic triumph and a perfect lunchtime snack for ?1.35.

The sausage rolls sold on Northcross Road bread and cake stall come a very close second with their organic pork meat seasoned with sage and dried apricot - but my vote goes to the EDD.

And before anyone asks - I am not associated in any way with the EDD, beyond being a customer for their sausgae rolls (and the chilli chocolat is pretty good too)

spadetownboy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> have they put them sausage rolls up they were only

> ?1.25 at lunchtime, i was almost tempted to get

> one but not at ?1.35, i presume thats just for

> one?

My mistake - they are ?1.35 but have treid buying a snack for less than that anywhere - Nero's, Starbucks??

>>PS: Dried apricot in a sausage roll??!!<<

Yes, and it is a triumph! Highly recommeneded although I wish they did a slightly small size too. I suppose now words is getting around they will sell out as quickly as the lovely mini-quiches that stall does too....(6)

A long time since I went, but Ayres in Nunhead used to do wonderfully peppery sausage rolls...

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I've seen a bowl of sausage rolls on the counter

> in The Bishop - are they sourced from EDD or just

> a generic ACME sausage roll?

I've asked before at the Bishop whether they source from EDD and the answer is generally no, they make everything on their own premises.