Painted bollards on Forest Hill road

BQC

Just wanted to post a thank you to the council for cheering up the stretch of road by the shops with brightly painted bollards. Great idea and real shows our council is in touch with it's residents.

Renata Hamvas Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I believe this was funded by cleaner greener

> safer.

How does Painting these bollards make them Cleaner Greener or Safer. ???

Bollards should be clearly visible. Camoflauging them in certain instances could make them less visible and

thus a hazard.

As well as turning the area into a Ghetto by incouraging othes to paint everything that dont move..

It just looks rather half hearted now,unfinished and a disappointment.I agree what is cleaner and greener about using aerosol paints anyway? And the bus stop building...yikes- Who chose this? I thought the seating was going to be re-instated

Whoever was responsible for putting the topiary dogs on dog kennel hill,they would have been better in a park,not on the

highway.

When i first saw them passing in the car,I thought it was a dog about to run on the road very distracting and dangerous.

The thing about those topiary dog breeds is that they are renowned for just staying where they are. In one position only. So don't fret Tarot. There was probably a reason for placing topiary dogs (of all things!!) on Dog Kennel Hill.

Honestly, the way things are heading, it'll likely be topiary geese on Goose Green next.

The bollard thing is cute, but not something that will last, or that will still seem charming when it gets tatty. That area really needs work. Why campaign against having the area sorted out? Do we need a petition against the petition?

Love the topiary dogs, love the painted bollards and love the decorative lamp posts in Bellenden. Why not spend a little bit of money on brightening up our neighbourhood. A pleasant environment is good for the soul. Saying that, if this was at the expense of creating mould free, spacious homes for people on low incomes I know which one I would support.

The bollards are cool, funky colours and something to look at other than the co-op shack. Mind you I almost crashed my bike into that little building next to the bus stop: wtf? It looks like some granny has just taken her first acid and gone bonkers with the finger paints.

kitwhitfield Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Bad news on that front: the council are now

> thinking of bulldozing them to re-design the whole

> pavement area! There's a petition to save them in

> the Co-op - everyone please sign it. Also please

> write to the council and protest at this e-mail:

> [email protected].

Alternately if anyone wants to ensure the area does not lose the funding and ensure that it does get its long awaited re vamp mail the above address!

will the new revamp result in pavement/lamp-posts and bollards similar to those in Bellenden/Goose green/SE15 side of ED?...whenever I go to those areas especially bellenden road, I think wow...the curving lamp-posts are so unique and dramatic.. this makes all the difference. Many of the shops are regular shops that people use and need such as chippy, dry cleaners and newsagent which adds to the character..

On FH road; Peckham rye park is beautiful, the post office and chippy are good and the Herne tavern is a great pub (I haven't been to the french cafe yet)..but the vacant and unkempt shops & constant trolleys outside co-cop make this part of the road look grotty.

Dear All

The bollards and the sub-station have been paid for through CGS money - the idea being that this area got a bit of a revamp.

The bollard painting has been put on hold (rather than cancelled) because Forest Hill Road is going to be the subject of ?400K improvements over 2011/12 and 2012/13 (TfL money) and this might make other improvements to the pavement area outside the shops.

I'm meeting the with Public Realm Officer (in charge of the ?400K scheme) and the CGS Officer (in charge to the ?20K scheme) next week to see whether we can make an decision about the bollards going ahead asap, safe in the knowledge they won't be changed soon afterwards, or alternatively whether we can incorporate some/all of the bollards or some of the artist's designs in whatever improvements might be made by the bigger scheme.

I'll update as soon as we've had the meeting.

Vikki.

Cllr Victoria Mills

Labour Councillor For Peckham Rye Ward

[email protected]

www.peckhamryelabour.blogspot.com

Just a thought and, without wanting to be a killjoy, you could probably have let the kids from Goodrich loose on the sub station and bollards with some paint (with supervision of course). The result would probably have been a lot more endearing (not sure about the present "jungle theme"...) and would not have cost nearly as much...

I am used to seeing them now,it was dark at night when I first saw it and it was a bit unerving.

The one on the corner further up the hill I thought was a fox.

Good topiary really just in the wrong places.