The East London Line extension

PN33

Hello,

I realise that this is not an original thread but it is (i think) an original question.... has there been an 'official' announcement of the date that the line extension will come to Peckham/Denmark Hill? Does anyone know? The best info I've found out is 'late this year' and I want more accuracy!

Thanks

Ok great, thanks for that. Would anyone know if these predictions are usually accurate? I'm thinking about organising an event to celebrate the new line so will need 100% faith that it will open on the 9th; not before or after. Sounds promising that they've already done test runs

edcam Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> PN33 - it's already well behind schedule so I

> wouldn't depend on the accuracy of 9th December.

> Hope it does open then though!

Actually edcam, the project is ahead of schedule and currently undergoing train drivers training. They could run the service tomorrow if they wanted, similar to ELLX1, but the 9th December date is when the train timetable changes for all rail companies in the UK.

Previous ELLX2 deadlines were missed because the project was delayed because of the government's comprehensive spending review 2010 where all UK projects were reviewed for possible spending cuts. Fortunately, the ELLX2 was given the all clear back in October 2010 and building commenced for the first time shortly after.

Undisputedtruth Wrote:

> edcam Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > PN33 - it's already well behind schedule so I

> > wouldn't depend on the accuracy of 9th December.

>

> > Hope it does open then though!

>

> Actually edcam, the project is ahead of schedule

> and currently undergoing train drivers training.

> They could run the service tomorrow if they

> wanted, similar to ELLX1, but the 9th December

> date is when the train timetable changes for all

> rail companies in the UK.

>

> Previous ELLX2 deadlines were missed because the

> project was delayed because of the government's

> comprehensive spending review 2010 where all UK

> projects were reviewed for possible spending cuts.

> Fortunately, the ELLX2 was given the all clear

> back in October 2010 and building commenced for

> the first time shortly after.

I do hope you're right. The last delay was very long indeed. It would be great to see this up and running on time.

Undisputedtruth Wrote:

> Actually edcam, the project is ahead of schedule

> and currently undergoing train drivers training.

> They could run the service tomorrow if they

> wanted, similar to ELLX1, but the 9th December

> date is when the train timetable changes for all

> rail companies in the UK.

>

> Previous ELLX2 deadlines were missed because the

> project was delayed because of the government's

> comprehensive spending review 2010 where all UK

> projects were reviewed for possible spending cuts.

> Fortunately, the ELLX2 was given the all clear

> back in October 2010 and building commenced for

> the first time shortly after.

Just to clarify, the train timetable changes for the whole of the UK in May and December each year. Since the introduction of a full service is dependent on a few changes, they must wait until December.

In the meantime they could run a partial service, bit there's not really much point and it would just lead to confusion and extra cost.

Which is why you'll continue to see test trains runing until then

Undisputedtruth Wrote:

> So the rather distinctive East London line train

> seen running through Queens Road Peckham along the

> whole of the ELLX2 route as part of the testing

> process is not enough to convince you then, edcam?

I'm not being doom and gloom about it, I want it to happen as soon as possible. I haven't seen the test train and don't know if that's a guarantee, that's all!

I'm rather angry at the removal of the South London Line. A very useful line running since 1867 and gives access to central London areas. I am fully aware of transport matters but that doesn't make me a trainspotter in the real sense of the word. That term was dreamt up by Bic Bash because he was unable to argue on facts and so resorted to insults. Not surprising really as there are enough dim people willing to believe him.

However, I'd suggest you don't try to work out what type of a person I am as you would only confuse yourself or get upset because I know a lot. Stick to the topic for a calmer self.

I agree the SLL is very useful. Do we know how many London Bridge trains and how many Victoria trains there will be after the changeover? I'm not up to date with the latest news. I know at one point there was talk of no Victoria trains at all.

By the way I'm not interested in working out what type of person you are but just pointing out that it takes less effort to be civil!

Surely the whole point of the ELLE is to allow routes into central London to be reduced? London Bridge and Victoria are already overloaded and just cant take anymore passenger growth.

ELLE allows people to avoid central London and so reduce that pressure.

We will still have connections to central London and will have new connections to east and west central London.

The current set up is indeed useful, but reducing traffic through London Bridge and Victoria is vital.

Withdrawal of South London Line and train service in 2013

There'll be four trains per hour to London Bridge. However, there may be periods where no trains will travel to London Bridge because of the rebuilding project.

No direct trains to Victoria on Sunday or after 7pm during Monday to Sunday. Two trains per hour during peak times and saturday service with no early morning trains.

The term civil has nothing to do with what I've said earlier on. You only said that as a means to cover up for your ignorance by shifting the blame on to me. I merely questioned you because it seem you wanted a cast iron guarantee which doesn't happen in infrastructure projects like the ELLX2. Most people would be convinced by seeing test ELL trains on the new route, timetable changes in December and official TfL news release that new service will start in December. Not you, apparently.

Removal of the SLL in no way compensates for ELL2. Its about Boris making outer London residents happier at the expense ?7M pa of Southwark and Lambeth residents. It's also about Southwark COuncil granting planning permission for a new London ridger station that wont have enough platforms to keep SLL. Orignal permision granted in 2002 and now in 2012 has this affect.

Hi UDT,

Is your post related to Peckham Rye?

Many ED residents from the west side use Denmark Hill - Victoria.

Thank you Undisputed, I'd been wondering about that.

The trouble is, it won't reduce traffic through LB or Victoria - I will still need to travel through Victoria each day, I shall just be trying to cram myself onto a more crowded train. Am not looking forward to these changes at all. Two trains an hour to Victoria is going to be a nightmare, but it's a bit late now.

@James Barber,

In answer to your question, yes, as I mainly use Nunhead, Peckham Rye and Queens Rd stations.

The Victoria service from Peckham Rye will be identical to the service from Denmark Hill as they basically use the same train but will travel directly to Victoria only. Denmark Hill rail users will lose their direct link to London Bridge after 8 December this year.

I have heard that London Bridge once had 22 platforms but each redevelopment have reduced the numbers. Perhaps if they could remove their cushy office block next to platform 16 and revise the track layouts then there would be enough space for platforms.

@Twirly,

Victoria trains will be crammed once SLL has ended. Also, this particular service isn't reliable compared to the SLL. There is a possibility for a four trains an hour to Victoria from 2014 but this is subjected to franchise agreements.

Undisputedtruth Wrote:

> Withdrawal of South London Line and train service

> in 2013

>

> There'll be six trains per hour at peak times and

> four trains per hour on Sunday to London Bridge.

> However, there may be periods where no trains will

> travel to London Bridge because of the rebuilding

> project.

>

> No direct trains to Victoria on Sunday or after

> 7pm during Monday to Sunday. Two trains per hour

> during peak times and saturday service with no

> early morning trains.

>

> The term civil has nothing to do with what I've

> said earlier on. You only said that as a means to

> cover up for your ignorance by shifting the blame

> on to me. I merely questioned you because it seem

> you wanted a cast iron guarantee which doesn't

> happen in infrastructure projects like the ELLX2.

> Most people would be convinced by seeing test ELL

> trains on the new route, timetable changes in

> December and official TfL news release that new

> service will start in December. Not you,

> apparently.

Thank you for the information. Regarding your aggressive tone, I merely said that nobody could guarantee that the ELL would open at the (already delayed) projected date, a statement you now seem to agree with. I haven't asked for a cast iron guarantee. At the same time calling me ignorant and making bizarre claims.

In relation to your earlier post, I am by the way perfectly calm, just not willing to be accept such rudeness without calling you out on it.

edcam Wrote:

>

> I'm not being doom and gloom about it, I want it

> to happen as soon as possible. I haven't seen the

> test train and don't know if that's a guarantee,

> that's all!

I didn't make it up you know...unless I've been seeing ghost trains!

@edcam,

It is you who have caused anxiety issues for yourself by reading more than what I actually said and not making sense of the information made available to you. Please end your blame game as I fear you are only making the situation worse for yourself and I see nothing wrong with my tone or langaguage. I simply spelled out the situation to you since you decided to use the blame game as a way to cover up for your ignorance. Ignorance means a lack of knowledge so please tell me how you know more about the ELLX2 than me?

As I said before, the ELLX2 was subjected to the Comprehensive Spending Review 2010 after the Tories had won the general election. Perhaps the real issue here is that you don't know what is a Comprehensive Spending Review and how it led to timescales changing for ELLX2. In terms of physically building the extension, it was ahead of schedule.