Is East Dulwich up for a Photo / Arts festival?

Have you looked at the disused lavatory block on the lower part of Peckham Rye Common? It might be worth approaching the council to see if you could rent it for peanuts for a fixed time. I know they wanted it to be used for some sort of community based project.

If you get the go ahead, I'm sure a bunch of us could turn up with cleaning materials to sort it out.

Hi All - Considering the lack of venues, what about organising some kind of one off quick street art festival, like those flash mob things (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_mob). And then capturing it in photos, which could then be used to form some sort of east dulwich festival / exhibit in the future, or be shown at the other local arts festivals mentioned in this thread.

Having thought about this for no time whatsoever, two ideas come to my mind, 1) a 1 hour photography exhibition on goose green, consisting of local people coming along with their favorite photos and arranging them on goose green somehow for 1 hour only. This could then be photographed as a flash mob ED arts fest! 2) Green geese on goose green' where people come along as green geese, or have their faces painted on entry. Just imagine a photo of 100 green geese on goose green. Again this could be photographed for further festivals.

Anyway, just some thoughts, an ED arts fest seems like a great idea, such a shame to not do it just because of lack of venue, when there are many ways to do such things. I am up for being involved in organising such an event. Let me know.

S

Hi there,

My name is Abi, I am new to the forum and have been having a little scout around, and found this!

I used to live in New Cross, and whilst I was there I helped set up run events for the Young Friends of Telegraph Hill Park...this event came out of no where and with a very limiited budget. We managed to get funding from CCF, and working in conjunction with Glendale who ran the park. It was great, we had a nature day with pond dipping, a teddy bears picnic and lots of sporting events with Millwall Community Team taking part.....

This event sounds great and I would really love to get involved....feel free to email me at [email protected]!

Abi

We already met up with Darrell, so I was disappointed to hear that not enough local venues are interested.

If anything does eventually come of this, either via him or via any others who have posted on this thread, the Goose would be interested in being involved in providing music.

www.thegooseisout.com

We have a growing list of excellent local musicians, and one idea which was discussed was to have some of them playing appropriate background music at some of the festival venues.

Sid & Abi - That sounds great ;-) If you would like to take on the idea, then please do let me know and I'll give you some contacts and I'll try and help out where I can. Please do look out for some of the contacts off here too...

It would be unfair to name and shame, but were a few possible venues who may help out and Sue&Nyge from Goose Is Out will be really helpful with idea's and support. BTW -

Sue - Thanks for the advice and support. Hopefully we'll get to put on something still in the future, though it may be a little further afield ;-)

Thanks again to all in East Dulwich for being positive about this idea and hopefully you can still find room for a photo/art festival ;-)

Darrell

Have you given up on trying to organise anything then Darrell?

I work full time, and am studying for an MA and do other voluntary work in two museums so not sure whether I have enough time to take on a massive project like this. But I sure would like to get involved in anyway I could if someone else was in the driving seat!

Abi

Fair enough Abi,

I won't go into what various demands that currently take up my time, but I would be willing to help out with this in a more minor role. I have received messages from people who would be willing to help out on this project, so I would be happy to see the event still go ahead. I would say that there would be alot of work to do, if it was to be organised for September.

Great news eater81 your going on holiday !!

East Dulwich Festival 7th to 16th May.

It?s festival time! Once a year Dulwich opens up its venues and plays host to a myriad of artistic

activities. Started in 1993, Dulwich Festival is run as an independent charity and aims to make

a variety of artistic and cultural events easily available to the whole Dulwich community.

http://www.dulwichfestival.co.uk/2010/index.asp

Have a great time, hope you can get a flight.

PS: don't forget to turn off the gas.

hi There,

I think this is a fantastic idea and i would love to help out in any way that i can. Originally from Liverpool i have helped arrange comunity art events, and have been involved in the Liverpool Biennial for the past few years. I also helped the Albany Theatre at last years Lewisham People's Day.

7th to 16th of May eh? Fortunately it looks like it is mostly contained within indoor venues, so I might be able to stay around the area without getting too irate.... although it does seem to have taken over my nearest ale house, the Crown and Greyhound.

Just had a look at the programme, never seen a bigger collection of complete tosh in my entire life! Complete waste of time.

eater81 - if you don't want to be part of the East Dulwich Festival then just avoid it, easily done. But why post such puerile comments? There's a body of people locally who are into it and who put a huge amount of time and effort into it. And a lot of people do enjoy it so what's the problem. Sorry if I'm ranting but it's like people who complain about tv programmes - if you don't like it, change the channel. No-one's forcing you to get involved

Hi Darrell,

know this is way past your posting dates, but i too am a local photographer and if there was anything at all in future you were organising on the photo front, would be good to get involved/stay in contact with other photographers - shame it's been a no go so far. so if you ever manage to put together a mailing list etc.. for future events let me know at this email. i haven't been so active lately as literally about to give birth to baby number 2, but all in good time once again. my website is: www.elizabeth-clancy.com

Cheers Elizabeth. Yes, definitely. I have just been taking a look at you're website and love you're work. Hopefully, I will be still be putting something on in the future. If this is going to be in East Dulwich or sometime this year at present is anyone's guess.

Good luck with Baby No2 ;-)