The Anatolia to become .... ?

Don't talk to me about that Sea Cow, its a great chippie if you like your chips and fish freshly defrosted. An over priced over-rated fast food joint for the mindless masses who have never eaten a decent fish supper.

Emily's fish bar on North Cross Road is the best in the area. I always get a fresh fish cooked every time I walk in.

There is another one on Half Moon lane, Ken's fish bar or something. He has a couple of spurious 'awards' on the wall claiming he is the best chip shop in the world or something. He isnt.

I like the Sea Cow, I've always had fresh fish cooked to order. It doesn't seem much more expensive than Emily's (probably cheaper if you go for the coley), and the batter is much more crispy. Personal taste, I guess.

si mangia Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> its usually jeremy or one or two others.

I only remember commenting on your restaurant a couple of times, so not sure that it's usually me! It's just my opinion - I've nothing against the place, and if most people like it then great.

Do you still have that dreadful very loud singer with the guitar in the restaurant?

We went to Si Mangia once, thought the food was brilliant but were so put off by the terrible music (snuffing out any chance of conversation too) that we've never been back.

si mangia Wrote:

> i wouldn't worry too much. its usually jeremy or

> one or two others. i got 5 - 6 hundred people a

> week that quite like it. thanks for your support

> though, colonelchips.:))

It's on their shop front sign but I forget, sorry. What they also have is a job ad in the window for Waitresses, Female Only.

Apart from the absence of male waitresses in the first place I'm not convinced they're allowed to advertise like that!

colonelchips Wrote:

> As an aside, Si Mangia gets run down on here every

> so often when we've always found it to be really

> good

I'd second this. Was in there last night with son no 2 - it does what it does really well. It's a local, family run Italian that provides good food at good prices with friendly staff. The occasional Limoncello provided with the bill is always a nice touch.

• 1 year later...

"Bald Bloke" was Giuseppe my son loved him. I believe he has gone to Sicily to open a restaurant.

And Si Mangia is the best. And good value! And Music is rarely there. The should open their Garden. Pity they can't get the canopy to work any more . Now its winter we don't need to wind it back though! Sea monster never seems to have customers its good to have an 'unpretentious' food place I suppose but cant see them surviving.

Si Mangia is a brilliant local restaurant, don't knock it!!!! We don't need another chippy. A good bistro/wine bar would be good though, one with lit candles and good red wine serving coq au vin and beef bourgignon. (very 70's retro) Somewhere inviting on a cold Winter's night. Or somewhere like the 'Real Greek' yummy.

That parade of shops could certainly do with a tidy up, although it's definitely an improvement on a year or so ago.

FHR is better than before, but the strip is let down by the scruffy looking blue and yellow place next to the barber's and the corner shop that has been left seemingly abandoned for years. I like the coloured bollards but think a few more trees could break up the monotonous concrete paving.

I agree more trees. More were planted originally but some have died. Why is there never a maintenance programme for anything it seems in this country? If something dies replace it ??????, plants need tending to until they become established. It's false economies as they will probably now have another planting programme 5 years down the line when someone in the Council realises that there aren't as many trees as they had planned for.

I do.....?

Si Mangia OK...seafood pasta great, service outstanding, but other than that....meh.

Yellow and blue restaurant I used to go to loads when it was open and that was amazing but no-one liked it. Guess Fish and chips is the catchment's preference.

French Cafe ditto: excellent service, food ok. they let dogs in but I wouldn't take mine dining so that's not a good enough selling point for me.

Best place for food without doubt is The Herne (at least on Forest Hill Road...)