Is Camberwell allowed?

theatreaaron

There was a campaign in Ireland recently to turn my home county into a lake being as it wasn't worth keeping and there was a lot of excess water at the time. Perhaps this type of thing could be considered for Camberwell. Word was that it would open up a lot of tourist attractions like fishing, boating,diving etc. Just a thought.

You're all such a painfully smug bunch of petit-bourgeoise buffoons...You all really need to get over yourselves...seriously

If Camberwell can generate as much local community support from within and all it's environs there is a real chance that we may well be able to secure the ex-Gala Bingo Hall as an arts/cultural/community centre - which could be an opportunity to instigate real change in the area. There is no coherent planning document for Camberwell. Between Southwark Council and TFL they have put in place a legacy which makes it impossible for things to function on an even keel here. A centre would be of benefit not just to Camberwell but to Dulwich,Elephant,Herne Hill,Peckham,Walworth and beyond. But everyone on here would rather take cheap pot shots and talk nonsense.

I suggest you take a look at our webpage...You may like what we've got to say for ourselves. Also follow the link to our facebook page - There are 5 photos of the Odeon Cinema in East Dulwich which was demolished as recently as 2001. Would you all have allowed that to happen if it was still there today? Imagine you still had a facility like that? Well?

Here are the links:

http://www.camberwellcommunitycinema.webs.com/

"You're all a bunch of smug pricks.

Please support my campaign."

How does that work?

(PS I think it's a worthy campaign, but until your last post nobody had made the case for it at any length. Smug is a two way street)

(PPS Tessa Jowell's office has a presence on here. TJMP is the username. If Hatty is still not picking up the phone, perhaps a nudge to Tessa?)

Why are all the alternatives on that Camberwell Community Cinema site associated with art, selling art, performing art or chatting about art over an arty latte????

What is the point in asking people what they want if you?re going to list a load of building uses associated with one particular field? A cultural hub...inside a larger cultural hub? Oh I get it, one is supposed to have a roof!

I'm sure the Arts College down the road will be happy to let out some space to the minority.

If we don't want a Church there, we could have a mixed development of residential and commercial units. That is something that is truly in demand at the moment and would make better use of the space than a Church or an Exhibition Space.

"Why are all the alternatives on that Camberwell Community Cinema site associated with art, selling art, performing art or chatting about art over an arty latte"

They're not.

If you follow Eusebiovic's link you'll read the following:

"This is what we are looking for. Camberwell is an area of London full of talent and desire to have something to be proud of. If this building falls into private hands and is not accessible to the community.

As well as the above it could be all of the following:

A place with accessible exhibition space

Mixed use for performing arts / opera / theatre / dance / performance / poetry

A cultural hub

A space for retail arts and crafts

It could provide a permanent base and shop front for several community organisations like the SE5 Forum or the Camberwell Arts Festival.

There would be enormous potential for running educational programmes through the facilities.

I'd even bet the library could be transferred and shops freed up on Camberwell Church Street.

What do you want it to be?"

Just ideas, Bizzy, to make it a space everyone can be part of and enjoy; and not one that houses a religious sect.

Taper...Thank You...Much Appreciated

That's all we want - Not too much to ask is it?

Apologies for the earlier rant (Well, maybe not the smug bit, that was partly correct ;-))

It's just that there are so many reasons why Camberwell isn't working and nobody seems to appreciate why that is. In East Dulwich, you have off-street parking and your independent start-up businesses are given every chance to thrive - because you have a coherent town centre policy - you insist and Southwark listens - Camberwell insists and gets silence, every time! - It has been a poor afterthought in Southwark Council's priorities for over 25 years - TFL don't listen either - It's frustrating, everybody who lives here wants it to change and improve - but it's not allowed to...That's the point.

Kind Regards

Cinema for Camberwell Green

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

We are starting a campaign to save the last remaining purpose-built Cinema/Theatre left in Camberwell (The Gala Bingo Hall) and preserve it as a secular Arts/Cultural Venue and unique Community Hub. This is one of the last Grade II listed cinemas/theatres left in Southwark.

It has been sold by GalaCoral group in private to an Evangelical Christian Church - with no wider local community consultation whatsoever. A total neglect of their "commitment" to Corporate Responsibility has been excercised here. This remember is an organization which has numerous betting shop outlets in the local area and throughout Southwark.

Many of our venues have been demolished over the past 25 years. 3 in Camberwell,East Dulwich, Elephant & Peckham Odeon's have all been lost forever. Visit our Facebook Page and webpage below for more details.

I hope you will all support this embryonic campaign and see where it can take us! If you are interested then spread the word! A poster can be printed from the website and displayed in the windows of all the local homes,shops,colleges and businesses in Camberwell and environs.

Our Webpage:-

www.CamberwellVillageHall.com

or Facebook Group "Cinema for Camberwell Green"

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Camberwell-United-Kingdom/Cinema-for-Camberwell-Green/314480941967

Kindest Regards,

Victor Ferreiro