M&S on Lordship Lane

Callie

LM I don't believe I've been knowingly pessimistic about the new M&S. I've wandered in more than once, just giving my observations on where they can improve the offering. There seems to be an obsession on this forum with talking up things they like, and talking down things they don't. I much prefer to take the central route which is more constructive. M&S can take any constructive criticism on the chin I'm sure. Also, judging by James Barbers comments on the other thread the whole planning process is under question again. Don't recall any such issues when Iceland were around.

Louisa.

Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

There seems to be an

> obsession on this forum with talking up things

> they like, and talking down things they don't. I

> much prefer to take the central route which is

> more constructive...

'lolz'

Sorry, sorry - I know you're still on a yellow. You're doing well btw!

For goodness sakes! I do not have any issue with well behaved children walking around a supermarket with their parent/guardian. But are you honestly telling me Jeremy, in a small supermarket with limited space in the aisles, it is appropriate for some parents to allow their children to run around like they're in a playground? Btw it's not the fault of the child, it's the parent who seems transfixed with being in a high end supermarket and not caring about other members of the public around them being confronted with trip hazards. One family who were in their the other day literally took over an entire aisle, grandparents (presumably), mother and father - two kids one in a pram another one walking. They act like no one else exists. It's just ignorance.

Louisa.

Louisa Wrote:

> I do not have any issue with well behaved children

That's what everyone without kids says! (apologies if I got the wrong end of that particular stick). Most little kids are well behaved... up until they decide to freak out and scream/cry/run away from you/etc. It happens...

*Bob* Wrote:

> Louisa Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> There seems to be an

> > obsession on this forum with talking up things

> > they like, and talking down things they don't.

> I

> > much prefer to take the central route which is

> > more constructive...

>

> 'lolz'

>

> Sorry, sorry - I know you're still on a yellow.

> You're doing well btw!

Great stuff.

Mick Mac Wrote:

> monica Wrote:

> -----

> > I went into Coop at 6pm, its normally packed

> and

> > have to wait a while to pay, it was empty.

>

> Ooh. It may be on borrowed time, will close and

> reopen as a little Waitrose.

I heard a refurb is in the pipeline? Too late in my book

ed_pete Wrote:

> Louisa Wrote:

> -----

> > LM I don't believe I've been knowingly

> pessimistic

> > about the new M&S.

>

> But you did say "I'm with foxy, I wonder how long

> this will last."

>

> In my book that's pessimistic

A shop with empty shelves, lorries parked on LL despite promises this wouldn't happen, some staff who appear untrained, a rubbish layout, relatively small range. I could go on. I'm just stating fact surely? That's not pessimism, it's encouraging them to sort it out. None of the above comments applied to the previous occupant, who so many of you on here took joy out of slagging off.

Louisa.

I don't think all older people moan! I think after a certain age though you've earned the right to moan about the state of the world without criticism (which is exactly what I said in my post).

Peckhampam Wrote:

> London Mix....shame on you for "Louisa and Fox and

> just looking for something to moan about which is

> their right at their age I suppose.." I don't

> know their age but from things they have said

> suspect it is near to mine....and I don't moan.

> Moaning is nothing to do with age, if you moaned

> when you were young you will moan when you are old

> and vice versa.

Let it go Louisa.

Iceland was no longer attractive to the majority of the local community. M and S is attractive to most, so there you go.

My one experience of the staff has been good.

I see the lady who used to run the Castle has a job there, which is nice.

I have to say I have been posting on here for the last 8 years, and there have always been the posters who moan, those who moan about the moaners and lil ol me who just laughs at the craziness of it all.

Move on let it go, the moment has passed we have what the majority had asked for, enjoy it. If you don't like it, don't go there if you do then go. Simple really

Louisa Wrote:

> A shop with empty shelves, lorries parked on LL

> despite promises this wouldn't happen, some staff

> who appear untrained, a rubbish layout, relatively

> small range. I could go on. I'm just stating fact

> surely? That's not pessimism, it's encouraging

> them to sort it out. None of the above comments

> applied to the previous occupant, who so many of

> you on here took joy out of slagging off.

>

> Louisa.

I really don't recognise this picture at all. So it is interesting how our pre-dispositions inform our value-judgements (and this is NOT to say my value judgements are superior, but they are certainly different).

For me the range is excellent (I've had three meals in the last three days I've not had before even though shopping at M and S in Walworth occasionally). Importantly, the quality of the food is first rate (particularly when compared to the competition). Of course the shelves were empty after the gold rush last week - but that is obviously a temporary disequilibrium. I am mystified by the criticism of delivery lorries parked in LL - this saves a lot of hassle for Chesterfield residents, no? And the lorries park north of the pedestrian crossing, so no obvious safety problem. The Co-op always has such deliveries.

I watched an amusing attention-seeking rant by a customer at the weekend, saying a member of staff had ignored him. The obvious conclusion was that you could see the staff member's point :-). I find the staff helpful and welcoming (they are also working very hard restocking after the higher than expected demand.

If we compare this with supermarkets ten years ago, and current competitors we see a first rate, modern, convenient, varied and interesting range of foods to eat. And all with no background music. What more could one want?

My only gripe is the usual one in ED: parents parking their buggies mid aisle whilst they engage in food tourism. Please desist!

I went there on Monday.

Found staff helpful and friendly.

Only minor niggle is slightly confusing layout..but hey! it was my first visit.

Could perhaps do with better veg selection.

However I came out with superb quality produce at a fair price for the quality.

Its a great asset to the area.

Feel a bit sorry for M&S this morning. Someone (guessing Environmental Health) monitoring sound of truck unloading. With the planes flying overhead,buses, a busy LL and another lorry screeching down the lane, I found the M&S truck unloading the quietest thing there. And, they always say hi and are very polite as I pass every morning.

"I am mystified by the criticism of delivery lorries parked in LL"

Because it's space that's needed by buses, cyclists, people who want to park while using neighbourhood shops - which is why it's not zoned as a lorry loading bay.

Because it's another example of how big business do whatever they want and rarely get held to account by government (central or local) - just like how the site got developed in the first place.

Dogkennelhillbilly Wrote:

> "I am mystified by the criticism of delivery

> lorries parked in LL"

>

> Because it's space that's needed by buses,

> cyclists, people who want to park while using

> neighbourhood shops - which is why it's not zoned

> as a lorry loading bay.

>

> Because it's another example of how big business

> do whatever they want and rarely get held to

> account by government (central or local) - just

> like how the site got developed in the first

> place.

'Evil' Big Buisness makes a profit by supplying goods and services that people want.....