Bellenden Belle Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Mark's spot on ...it's not a dodgy area at all -

> far from it.

> I actually make a point of walking back from

> Peckham Rye station rather than East Dulwich

> station because there are more people about so,

> for me at least, it feels safer.

I completely agree. Boswell..scaremongering!

I live just off East Dulwich Road and it really is perfect - 5 mins walk to Lordship Lane, 10 min walk to ED station, 15 min walk to Peckham and Peckham Rye station, 10 min walk to Peckham Rye park, 20 min walk to Dulwich Park. Plus as I live off the main road there's practically no traffic noise. Though I think ED is under a flight path as I seem to notce airplane noises a lot more than when I lived in Kent!

I like Peckham but wouldn't want to live there, the one way roads confuse me!!!

Horses for courses, all those roads mentioned above are nice, and to be honest as long as you stay the ED side of Bellenden area then most of them are fine. If want SE22 (to say you live in Ed rather than Peckham) and lordship lane then any road the Lordship Lane side of Barry Road is fine.

I used to live on Peckham Rye and its true there are more frequent trains, however, Peckham propoer IS a dump and therefore you get a different mix of people thank you do in ED - I certainly did not feel safer getting off there compared to ED.

If you are coming from London Bridge late (its also my station), the 40 bus takes 30 mins and goes past Odine and up Lordship so its not a problem - I get it in and back everyday as its only 45 in the morning and dropps me outside work on Fenchurch - plus always get a seat!!

Best of luck

Or there is the top end of lordship lane which is also very quiet, nice and green i.e. near Dulwich park and library e.g. Overhill, dunstans, friern road would probably be cheaper than the other side of lordship lane, which are mostly large houses e.g. townley, woodwarde, eynella. It is still a 10 minute walk to main shops on lordship lane but there are some local shops too. peckham rye park is still closeby. short bus ride to forest hill, peckham rye or east dulwich.

comment re video:

beautiful gardens and a very special place; doesn't represent the whole of peckham but i am sure there are many other pockets like this around. This shows u that community spirit is not just for those living in the countryside and is present all over London. The music was a bit much...had me almost in tears

bil Wrote:

> Or there is the top end of lordship lane which is

> also very quiet, nice and green

Where I am, few minutes walk to Dulwich Park, Sydenham Hill woods etc. It is quite different though to Lordship Lane further north. I just spent six months living a minute from Liquorish and life style changed, a lot more "just popping out" for stuff. Back home to Melford Road and I know all that's there for when I want it.

So it kinda depends if you want to be either in the middle of or just be accessible to which bit of ED you like. Obviously really.

That video is beautiful; I've always been curious about what's behind the gate.

However, that vacation wouldn't exactly match that travel brochure would it?

When we moved here from overseas we had an agent looking for rentals for us in "East Dulwich". Names and postal codes meant nothing to me and so thought nothing of finding a house in SE 15, in Peckham (there is a special place in hell for estate agents!)

Anyway, yes I have grown to appreciate the depth and complexity of Peckham and there are areas that are lovely, some nicer than ED in fact, but let's call it what it is.....

You can imagine my *gulp* surprise when I went to check out my new high street and found Rye Lane. Now, I get a kick out of it as much as the next person and I have a soft spot for all it represents....... the grace and warts of humanity.......

BUT it takes a bit of getting used to.

East Dulwich stretches quite a long way. I would rather be near good transport and at least one or two shops than somewhere where it took ages to get back to, especially if walking and carrying shopping. I believe the Bellenden area is still considered ED. For example, Ondine Road and Oglander Road have the SE15 postcode however Grove Vale, which runs at the bottom of both those roads is SE22. St. John's Church on Goose Green is SE22 but the school on Adys is SE15. The new house and flats off Coplestone Road (behind Grove Vale) are SE22 but Coplestone is SE15. Weird.

PeckhamRose Wrote:

> "Peckham Proper IS a dump".

> yeah. Right. uh huh.

>

Choumert Sq is full of curtain-twitchers who don't like you walking down there even though it's a public right of way. I think the cloying tweeness would send me under.

Asylum Road, Clifton Crescent for the architecture, Friary Road, there's plenty of nice bits in Peckham.

According to the land registry, the East Dulwich end of Bellenden Road, despite its SE15 postcode, is actually East Dulwich, or at least is was in 1876!

As a Bellednen Rd resident I think this is the best place to live - 5 mins walk to ED and Peckham Rye station and one day the East London Line, a good selection of shops on the door step and lordship lane a 10 min walk away. Peckham high street is not my fave place, Ive lived here all my life and love Peckham, but and I dont find it charmingly 'colourful', I think its just smelly, but it is useful to have a Boots, Mothercare, Dixons within walking distance.

thebestnameshavegone Wrote:

> I'm afraid of black people and all that weird

> stuff that they eat, and Rye Lane doesn't fit in

> with my aspirational view of what a High Street

> should look like.

That is a very generalised statement. Are all black people scary in your opinion? Do you eat Indian, Chinese or Italian, French food because all other cultures eat unusual meat, vegetables incl horse, crocodile, snails, dog etc

back to the subject; for convenience (walking distance to ED station) pick the lower end of lordship lane incl bellenden, if you like green-parks and woodland e.g. runner or dog walker, then upper end of LL. The east london line will be at Forest hill in the next 1-2 months and can take you directly to canada water (for canary wharf) or shoreditch (spitalfields market which I love)

bil Wrote:

> thebestnameshavegone Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I'm afraid of black people and all that weird

> > stuff that they eat, and Rye Lane doesn't fit

> in

> > with my aspirational view of what a High Street

> > should look like.

>

>

> That is a very generalised statement. Are all

> black people scary in your opinion? Do you eat

> Indian, Chinese or Italian, French food because

> all other cultures eat unusual meat, vegetables

> incl horse, crocodile, snails, dog etc

>

> back to the subject; for convenience (walking

> distance to ED station) pick the lower end of

> lordship lane incl bellenden, if you like

> green-parks and woodland e.g. runner or dog

> walker, then upper end of LL. The east london line

> will be at Forest hill in the next 1-2 months and

> can take you directly to canada water (for canary

> wharf) or shoreditch (spitalfields market which

> I love)

Ummm - I think TBNHG was being somewhat tongue in cheek.

Back on topic, for green spaces you don't need to be at the upper (presumably southern) end of LL. You've got Dulwich Park (or East Dulwich park as a lot of people on here seem to call it...) and Sydenham Woods at that end, but if you're near ED or PR stations you've got Goose Green, Peckham Rye common and Peckham Rye Park on your doorstep, and if you're up the hill towards Camberwell/Denmark Hill you've got Ruskin Park next to Kings.

Basically, wherever you are in the ED/Bellenden Rd area, you will be (a) near to decent shops, pubs and bars, (b) near to some great parks and open spaces and © not too far from some pretty average transport connections into London. So once you've decided how far you're prepared to be from a train station, I would just find a house/flat you like within that radius and sit back confident that you'll love it when you move in.