Big Issue sellers in ED

david_carnell Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If you give to Oxfam do you demand to know

> precisely what they've done with your ?20 or do

> you assume that in some small way your money is

> being used for a "good thing" and feel better

> about yourself.

That's a good analogy David. I would assume that it is going towards a "good thing".

If I subsequently found that Oxfam were spending money on "not good things" or "unnecessary things", then I would possibly ask for an explanation. I may also decide not to donate to them again.

Keef Wrote:

> is that if someone is a bogus vendor, then that is out or order.

Keep it up Keef! Soon I'll have East Dulwich all to myself, as everyone else migrates to Nunhead.

Sean, there are bogus vendors, REALLY!!!! One could argue that they are still in need, but the fact is, there are people who will steal bundles, and sell them, without having paid for them upfront. They may be just as needy, but they get less of my sympathy than someone who has gone about it the correct way.

The Big Issue have previously said (will try to find a link) that bogus salespeople are a massive problem for them (and those legitimately selling the magazine). I'm not sure how they get hold of the mags - but if they haven't got a Big Issue bib or ID, they're not legit.

Edited to add link - http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/220/220329_rooney_falls_for_big_issue_scam.html

> If a mate comes to me and asks for a loan of ?100

> because he's short at the end of the month I don't

> demand a spreadsheet of his accounts and want to

> know what he's spending it on.

>

But surely, if he pleaded genuine poverty and your generosity was prompted by a belief that he was really in a sticky situation (which is what is implied in the case of TBI sellers) and you went into your local to find him sitting there swilling beer and sticking money into a pinball machine you might well feel your generosity had been exploited and think twice about giving him cash again in future, no?

It was probably my initial comment on another thread that prompted this one.

Yes, I feel for the homeless. There was a guy that used to sell the Big Issue on Lordship Lane just on a Saturday and he was a lovely guy and always in a positive mood, no matter what the weather, but he appears to have disappeared since Christmas. I would frequently buy from him, and even bought him a cup of tea too as he was by the cafe.

Sadly, the BI seelers outside Somerfield cannot possibly be genuine in my opinion. Their total lack of effort at trying to persuade me to part with my hard earned cash, combined with them owning a car, having new-ish clothes on, and the various other bits and pieces mentioned above, make me look at them with disgust rather than sympathy. I just cant imagine they are homeless. Sorry. Harsh perhaps, but they are doing little more than taking the p*ss in my view.

pepsi Wrote:

> Crikey - this really is like the Daily Mail! Some

> astonishingly ignorant and prejudiced comments

> here. I think it would do a few people good to be

> in someone else's shoes for a bit.

As long as they weren't new-ish shoes.

Big Issue vendors should not be allowed to take pride in their appearance or try and look smart and presentable, according to some. Attempts at this shall be met with looks of disgust.

Yes I agree Pepsi. I don't believe that anyone would choose to sit outside Somerfield selling the BI if they didn't need to, it must be really hard. I am surprised people feel they have any right to question what they spend their very hard earned money on. It makes me feel a bit sad that so many people sound rather mean spirited.....obviously not sad enough to move to Nunhead! :))

I dont question what they spend their money on (although others have), Im just saying, I dont approve of being made to feel guilty when I dont hand over money too them, they are clearly not as poor as they would like us to believe ... and most importantly, they are not homeless yet sell the Big Issue ??

I always ignore the woman hanging around at the front of Somerfields esp when she's with a child or handing out something...I can't abide with projecting some emotional blackmail...I hate it!

The guy outside Sainsburys selling Big Issues though is not a problem to me, as he seems like a nice man....not pushy & also polite. Bought once from him but ever since just politely declining to buy again.

pepsi Wrote:

> Crikey - this really is like the Daily Mail! Some

> astonishingly ignorant and prejudiced comments

> here. I think it would do a few people good to be

> in someone else's shoes for a bit.

As long as they weren't new-ish shoes.

Big Issue vendors should not be allowed to take pride in their appearance or try and look smart and presentable, according to some. Attempts at this shall be met with looks of disgust.

And they must seem nice ,be polite and not be pushy .

intexasatthe moment Wrote:

> pepsi Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Crikey - this really is like the Daily Mail!

> Some

> > astonishingly ignorant and prejudiced comments

> > here. I think it would do a few people good to

> be

> > in someone else's shoes for a bit.

>

> As long as they weren't new-ish shoes.

> Big Issue vendors should not be allowed to take

> pride in their appearance or try and look smart

> and presentable, according to some. Attempts at

> this shall be met with looks of disgust.

>

> And they must seem nice ,be polite and not be

> pushy .

I think the issue is not about pride in one's appearance or the like. It is the fact (which a number of people seem to want to stray away from) that owning a car, phones and being able to dress in what are cited as being new and fashionable clothes is simply not consistent with someone being homeless, hard-up or destitute. And those who are homeless or destitute are the people who TBI was established to help. I think posters are wondering whether someone who can afford to run a motor etc etc is really entitled to be selling TBI or has managed to get round whatever vetting or criteria there are and is effectively doing a genuinely needy person out of a pitch.

By analogy, if you saw someone well dressed and groomed, with a car and phone, mess up their hair a little, rub a bit of grime under their finger nails, put on a scruffy coat and, mournful expression in place, nip into a homeless soup kitchen to get a free meal you might feel that they were taking the p*** a little and taking advantage of the charity offered.

Domitianus Wrote:

> intexasatthe moment Wrote:

> -----

> > pepsi Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > Crikey - this really is like the Daily Mail!

> > Some

> > > astonishingly ignorant and prejudiced comments

>

> > > here. I think it would do a few people good

> to

> > be

> > > in someone else's shoes for a bit.

> >

> > As long as they weren't new-ish shoes.

> > Big Issue vendors should not be allowed to take

> > pride in their appearance or try and look smart

> > and presentable, according to some. Attempts at

> > this shall be met with looks of disgust.

> >

> > And they must seem nice ,be polite and not be

> > pushy .

>

> I think the issue is not about pride in one's

> appearance or the like. It is the fact (which a

> number of people seem to want to stray away from)

> that owning a car, phones and being able to dress

> in what are cited as being new and fashionable

> clothes is simply not consistent with someone

> being homeless, hard-up or destitute. And those

> who are homeless or destitute are the people who

> TBI was established to help. I think posters are

> wondering whether someone who can afford to run a

> motor etc etc is really entitled to be selling TBI

> or has managed to get round whatever vetting or

> criteria there are and is effectively doing a

> genuinely needy person out of a pitch.

>

> By analogy, if you saw someone well dressed and

> groomed, with a car and phone, mess up their hair

> a little, rub a bit of grime under their finger

> nails, put on a scruffy coat and, mournful

> expression in place, nip into a homeless soup

> kitchen to get a free meal you might feel that

> they were taking the p*** a little and taking

> advantage of the charity offered.

At last! Some sense!!!

Been out for the day and amazed that a thread simply wondering if a BI seller is real or not turns into a debate as to whether you can dictate what a person earning money should spend it on (don't believe anyone suggested this to be the case).

For the record I entirely agree that everyone (Including BI sellers)earning money can spend it on whatever they choose!

Maybe some people buy the BI for its content, in which case the transaction is similiar to that of buying a paper from a newsagent as Keef mentioned. For me personally, I give the money but do not take the magazine since I have no interest in the magazine but wish to support a worthy charitable cause. I do not have an infinite supply of money available for charitable donations (charitable in my personal circumstances not the "newsagent" situation), therefore choose where the money available goes - If it makes me prejudice donating to causes that on the face of it appear to be in more need then quite frankly I am happy to be prejudice!!

We are only able to draw conclusions from what we see, I have no idea if that woman is genuinely needy or not, however she does not come across that way from the circumstantial evidence available. If I were to choose to give her money, I would not in any way shape or form expect to dictate how she spent that money. The way she does spend her money means I choose to donate the money I have to causes that appear more needy. Is it so wrong to want to help those that appear to need it most?

I really do think certain people on here are constantly looking for a fight / to take offence and purposely misconstrue what is being said!

Let the barrage begin.....

jeez. If someone is at a stage in their life that they need to stand outside somerfeild in the cold an rain to raise a few pounds then does it really matter if they are bonafide B.I vender or not? Its ok for people like you to sit in your nice warm comfortable houses in Dulwich but you still wanna cause someone and snitch on some poor misreable person. I hope you sleep well at night. Alltough I dont doubt for one second that you do.