I heard the news today, oh boy..

SeanMacGabhann

Clare

I sincerely doubt he is "evil" but even as a Labour member I think I can safely say he is a complete wally. How, or why, he didn't think either this was important or that he wouldn't get found out is ridiculous. He's not only shamed himself but the Party and the Government. How high and far this goes is anyone's guess?

Of course things are always different when family is involved. I'm sure Peter, as an individual, is a lovely chap and the crime of the son is not the crime of the father (or you!). But this is a crime, and his resignation will end his political career. I feel sorry for him but it is probably what he deserved. The general public are cynical about politics at the best of times. This sort of corruption does no one any favours.

And if you hear any Tories or LibDems banging on about this too loudly, they have equally dirty secrets when it comes to party funding.

You'd have thought with the stench of cash for honours still pungently lingering, that there might have been efforts to be a bit more scrupulous about party funding.

I guess being almost bankrupt can do funny things...desperate times and so forth.

I refer of course to financial bankruptcy, I take labour's moral bankruptcy as read ;-)

ANd I'm sure he is a nice chap clare, he sort looks like an X Factor contestant in the BBC photos!

in other news, I see the old dear is at it again

Moz (Irish parents, resident in US and Italy) and them bleedin foreigners

Quote: "Although I don't have anything against people from other countries, the higher the influx into England the more the British identity disappears. So the price is enormous. Travel to England and you have no idea where you are. It matters because the British identity is very attractive. I grew up into it and I find it very quaint and amusing. Other countries have held on to their basic identity, yet it seems to me that England was thrown away."

Leaving aside that other countries take proportionally more immigrants than the UK - sorry moz, the ENGLISH - England has lost it's identity a long time ago to faceless US style shopping malls (among other things). Which is fine and dandy of that's what people want, but no point blaming East Europeans

• 2 weeks later...

Times Leading Quote today

?I came to rid Basra of its enemies, I now hand it back to its friends? - Major-General Graham Binns, commanding officer of British Forces in southern Iraq

Guardian Leading Quote today

?UK has left behind murder and chaos? - Major General Jalil Khalaf, Basra police commander

So whose opinion is more important? The man on his way home (after what I am sure his press office and the state controlled media will paint as a job well done) or the man who is left behind to deal with the chaos.

I guess Major-General Graham Binns was giving a sound bite, he probably would have been happier saying

"That was a bit of a sh!tter, glad we're getting the hell out of here, next time give us some decent equipment and enough troops to do the job right, though next time you choose to invade someone illegally and pointlessly, don't"

But he's a career to think of.

Oh I have no doubt about it Mockney. I am sure that the military over there who face the stark realities every day are very aware of and jaded from what they have been made to deal with.

I was just pointing out the different pictures our supposedly independent and objective press can paint.

When I was a kid our cat actually attacked a man who was snooping around outside our house one night. I watched it from the window. I saw this strange person in our garden trying to get into the shed when our lazy couch potato of a cat dropped, screeching and spitting, off the garden wall and onto his shoulders. The guy shrieked and ran for it. The cat padded off, licked its paws a few times and went right back to doing pretty much nothing for the next 10 years.