bus journey to central london from LL

bil

Asset - I'm genuinely curious to know why you think the train is more hygienic than the bus?

I work by the Tate Modern and used to take the bus/train/walk. Now, I find it more relaxing to take the 63/343 - the journey time's a bit longer but it gives me time for a good read and I'm more chilled by the time I get off. It's also cheaper.

I go with everyone else, it depends a lot on the time of day and also where you are getting the bus from. I get the 12 from Barry Road which means I always get a seat as its one of the first stops. I don't get off until Oxford street which means I get a whole journey to read / doze! It is also considerably cheaper than the train/tube options. However, timings are its downside - if I get the bus at 7.15 I can be at work within an hour, if I leave at 730 its at least 1.30 door to door and 745 is more like 2 hours mostly due to the number of school kids getting on and off the buses and general traffic.

Hope that helps, I say try it for a week or two and then decide what suits you best!

I thought that would get everyone going lol. I don't think trains are more hygenic, it's just an amusing name for buses ok with an element of truth attached. It's not that 'everyone on them is plague ridden' but a high turnover of passengers coughing and spluttering in an enclosed space and touching the grab rails the chance of germs being spread is fairly high.

I use buses fairly regularly as a matter of fact but why sit on a bus for over an hour when you can do the journey by train in under an hour?

Very helpful info; so thank you all. I will start my trial run mid week and see how it goes. I will miss my beloved car but am looking forward to a relaxing journey, with a seat especially if i leave before 7.45 (which i will have to anyway)...As for the run home; watch this space >:D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Need to be in Gt Portland Street tomorrow morning. Don't have to be there until 10.30, but I won't be leaving until about 9.15. Will be up by the Horniman.

So, what do you experienced commuters suggest? 176 into TCR and walk, or go the other way and get the 63/36 and change at E&C? Or some other route entirely.

TFLs site features the P4 heavily, either to Brixton and the tube, or HOP and all kinds of train/tube combos. Knowing that the P4 is never around when I need it, I'd rather go for a more regular option, and I'm hoping that little bit later that the bus will be fine.

The quickest way probably is to walk down to Forest Hill and take the Overground to Canada Water, switch to Jubilee line to Baker St and then the Met/H&C/Circle line around to GPC. Once you're at Forest Hill, that should only take about 40 minutes and the Overground trains come fairly regularly. It's also the cheapest way if you're going PAYG since it only counts as one z3-1 journey.

P4 at that time isn't great - the earlier buses get caught up in all the traffic through Dulwich Village and there can be big gaps in service. If you want to go that way, then I'd go with Loz - take whichever bus comes first (if you walk down to LL/WV stop, you can get either 363 or 176) and go via E&C although that often seems to take around 40 minutes just to get to Elephant so you will take longer.