> way, why shouldn't someone else make use of it in

> the meantime?

>

> If squatters treat the place they occupy with

> care, then until someone else wants to legally

> live in that home (at which point, out you go),

> more power to them.

My thoughts exactly..

We are the squatters in the house on goose green. We are very pleased to see that you are taking an interest into our activities.

We just want to state our intentions and show that we aren't a bunch of freeloaders.

We moved into the house just under 2 weeks ago now, it has been empty for about 5-6 months now and was falling into disrepare. We didnt cause any damage to the building and we are not looking to damage the building in any way, if anything we want to improve the building too create a adiquat living space.

we are currently cleaning the whole house and touching up on our diy skills. we have electricity and water and yes, we are paying our way.

our intentions our to live in the house without causing any disruption to the local community, so we won't be throwing any crazy parties, we just want to put this beautiful empty building to some good use. rather than leaving an empty house in one of londons most saught after areas completely empty and rotting away.

squatting in the UK is completely legal and we are doing everything by the book.

We have had conversations with the neighbours explaining our intentions and we want to show that we are not here for a free ride, we all work or are studying in london and we can't currently afford to pay stupid rent charges in london.

Thanks for taking an interest and hopefully you will be supportive of us in our actions.

The Goose Green Sqautters. x

Do you know who owns the building then? This is a cheeky request but since you all have jobs or are studying so presumably have some income of some kind then maybe a reasonable donation to a local community charity or event every month in place of rent would be a nice gesture.

I can't say I'm pro squatting but then again I don't know enough about it to have a proper opinion.

If what you say is true, then it would seem unreasonable to object to you squatting there.

How does it work if/when the owner asks you to leave? Will you pack up more or less straight away? Or will you force them to go through the legal channels and wait until you are legally evicted?

Yes, we know who the owner is.

It is quite cheeky but i get your point. the majority of us are studying full time and are pretty much broke and currently all our funds are being drained by the resources we need to make the house liveable.

We will have to see how we are approached by the owners, if they are forceful and aggressive then we will be more reluctant to cooperate.

We have quite alot of rights, if you are intersted and want to read up more about squatting visit: http://www.squatter.org.uk/

Thanks for your interest

The Goose Green Sqautters. x

We changed the Electricity and Water into our names, and we are on a Electric PAYG Key. We are currently not using the Gas as its not properly connected.

We are topping up the key and are trying too use as little electricity as possible.

We are not doing anything illigal, we are doing everything by the book.

Thanks for your interest

The Goose Green Squatters. x

goosegreenteam Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We will have to see how we are approached by the

> owners, if they are forcefull and agressive then

> we will be less reluctant to cooperate.

And that's where you lose my sympathy! But hopefully it won't come to that.

TheAllSeeingEye Wrote:

> If its not illegal it should be, a legal loophole

> in my opinion. It isnt your property so you should

> have no rights to be there unless paying an amount

> set by the owner/landlord.

Access to housing is a right not a privilege. As far as I?m concerned that point is not up for debate.

How you provide that housing is another matter which is. But if people end up having to squat it is just an indication that something isn?t working.

Jeremy Wrote:

> goosegreenteam Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > We will have to see how we are approached by

> the

> > owners, if they are forcefull and agressive

> then

> > we will be less reluctant to cooperate.

>

> And that's where you lose my sympathy! But

> hopefully it won't come to that.

I think the squatters have a point here, how would you feel if you were renting and the landlord came along and demanded agressively that you get out? You probably wouldn't want to cooperate and would insist on staying for as long as you legally could to allow time to sort out somewhere else to live. Isn't this situation the same?

Brendan Wrote:

> Access to housing is a right not a privilege. As far as I?m concerned that point is not up for debate.

> How you provide that housing is another matter

> which is. But if people end up having to squat it

> is just an indication that something isn?t

> working.

I agree Brendan.

Can I ask The Goose Green Sqautters, do you know why the property has been left empty by the owner? Good for you for committing to improving an empty house too, hope the diy is going well.

It is quite cheeky but i get your point. the majority of us are studying full time and are pretty much broke and currently all our funds are being drained by the resources we need to make the house liveable.

Good well I'll take that to mean in a month or so you will start then ;-)

I'm quite surprised how many pro squatters there are - I wrongly assumed the majority of people would be against squatting.

Milo Wrote:

> I think the squatters have a point here, how would

> you feel if you were renting and the landlord came

> along and demanded agressively that you get out?

I wouldn't be very happy. But squatting is not the same as (or even analogous to) renting.

Jeremy Wrote:

> Milo Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I think the squatters have a point here, how

> would

> > you feel if you were renting and the landlord

> came

> > along and demanded agressively that you get

> out?

>

> I wouldn't be very happy. But squatting is not the

> same as (or even analogous to) renting.

They're analogous to the extent that their right to reside is protected in law against eviction by agressive owners without due process.

But there is a fundamental difference, in that the renter is there by the consent of the property owner.

I am not so concerned by the legality of it, more the moral aspect. I am quite prepared to believe that squatting is morally defensible, as long as nobody is screwed over.

Well, one might argue that the owner is in effect consenting by leaving their property empty for five months. Opinion would probably vary according to political position - how much responsibility an individual has to the broader society etc. I would certainly not be happy if my immediate neighbour abandoned their home in deteriating condition, would prefer if squatters did take over providing they were responsible.

I think the law is present to stop people being 'screwed over', in my opinion the current legislative balance is probably about right.

But they can be evicted with or without a court order:

From the shelter website http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/homelessness/squatting

Squatting itself is not a criminal offence. However, it is illegal to get into a property by breaking in or damaging windows and doors. You could be arrested even if the damage is minimal.

In some cases, squatters can also be prosecuted for other offences. There is a risk that this could happen if you don't leave when the landlord gets a court order, or a person who normally lives in the property, or has a right to move in (such as a new tenant) asks you to leave.

Eviction

Squatters can be evicted much more easily than most other people and in most cases the landlord doesn't have to get a court order first. If a court order is needed, the landlord can apply for one at any time and doesn't have to give you any notice. In most cases the court will automatically give her/him the right to get back into the property.

The landlord cannot use or threaten violence to get into the property while you are inside. This is the case even if s/he gets a court order. It is illegal for the landlord to force her/his way back in while there is someone inside.

However, if you refuse to leave when the court order is given to you, you can be prosecuted. The landlord can also ask the bailiffs to physically remove you and your belongings from the property immediately. The doors and windows will normally be secured so that you can't get back in.

I was part of a squatter community in the 80/90's. We never occupied a property if that meant it would be stopping someone for using it, our homes were always abandoned/derelict. We never left a property in a worse condition than we found it and often made considerable repairs/improvements to our living space, and we always moved on when the property was reclaimed by the owners.

Welcome to the GooseGreenTeam.....

We have approached our neighbours and explained what we are doing, they are satisfied we are not here too cause any trouble.

The house has been abandoned for months now, it could have quite easily have become an eyesore in the near future. We are not yet sure why the house is empty, but it is clear nobody has been taking any care of the house at all.

We aren't screwing anybody over and we don't intend too. We are making use of this beautiful building and once evicted in the correct manor we shall leave.

Thanks for all your support.

The Goose Green Squatters. x