squatters on goose green (Lounged)

maryopl

ratty Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Tell you all what my past experiences are.

> However, it is doubtful that these are the same

> people!

now i'm curious, can't you tell us anyway?

Ratty, would that be the same houses that lay empty for years in Windsor Walk, a disgrace.

What would you do if it was the same people, you'd better watch out you'll have someone accusing you of being violent.

GGS maybe you should get in touch with Ratty if you're evicted, he seems to have a good understanding of

the homeless situation. Welcome to the manor.

Well I think I've heard enough now. The house was only bought a few months ago - by a private landlord, with planning permission pending. If the acceptable end of squatting (and I think there is one) is occupying a derelict building, owned by a faceless public body who leaves it to rot in perpetuity - then this particular occupation is nearer the other end.

If the landlord went round there in the middle of the night and encouraged them to leave - with the aid of a big stick - good luck to him.

antijen Wrote:

> Ratty, would that be the same houses that lay

> empty for years in Windsor Walk, a disgrace.

>

> What would you do if it was the same people, you'd

> better watch out you'll have someone accusing you

> of being violent.

>

> GGS maybe you should get in touch with Ratty if

> you're evicted, he seems to have a good

> understanding of

> the homeless situation. Welcome to the manor.

I think you have totally misread my post. Firstly the house I had problems with was not the one on Windsor Walk. I mentioned that because I met the squatters there and they were a really nice bunch.

I would not be "violent" towards anyone. However, the squatters I did have to deal with were extremely violent towards me and if I ever come across them again I would make the local community aware of how they operate.

Really do not know why I bother posting on here anymore.

Ratty, I'm sorry, I did misread your post, and I now understand after your experience with the squatters who were

violent towards you.

I think it is unfair that some posters have tried to accuse the GGS of being threatening, implying they would resort to violence.

You have got us all wrong. We are not free-loading posh kids, studying law and we are certainly not of a violent nature.

We don't have too justify why we are squatting too anyone because what we are doing is completely legal, we just felt that we should just let the forum know what we are doing. A lot of assumptions have been made about us, most of the assumptions made about us are wrong, you don't know us, and until you meet us don't make assumptions about who we are and what we stand for.

This will be our last post on the forum because we don't want too take part in the predictability of the EDF any longer.

Thanks to all of the people who support what we are doing and hopefully we can stick around for a while.

The Goose Green Squatters.

This was showed to me by a friend i think this could be the property everyones talking about if anyones interested

*** EAST DULWICH ROAD, LONDON, SE22 9AT

Proposal: Construction of rear lower ground floor and part upper ground floor extension and rear dormer extension to convert existing residential dwelling into 4 x 2 bedroom self-contained residential units.

Statutory start date: 04/02/2010

Decision issued: Granted

Appeal Received Date: This case has no appeals against it

"This will be our last post on the forum because we don't want too take part in the predictability of the EDF any longer."

That's a great one! It's like a kid stamping off because they can't have it all their own way. Yay, you go girl!

The 'law' as you put it is 600 years old, and designed to address property posession when established records were few and far between. It was essentially to stop feudal Lords from putting the peasants off their land on trumped up claims. Think Sheriff of Nottingham bullying the serfs and you're in the right place.

It's sustained into the modern age to prevent oligarchs destablising society by confiscating large tracts of vital housing.

It wasn't designed to allow freeloading students not pay the same bills everyone else has to. You're not white knights fighting the good fight. You've got technology and dongles and beer and fags, you just don't want to pay your way.

So you've stolen a house.

To paraphrase Monty Python... you're not the messiah, you're a very naughty boy.

goosegreenteam Wrote:

> You have got us all wrong. We are not free-loading

> posh kids, studying law and we are certainly not

> of a violent nature.

>

> We don't have too justify why we are squatting too

> anyone because what we are doing is completely

> legal, we just felt that we should just let the

> forum know what we are doing. A lot of assumptions

> have been made about us, most of the assumptions

> made about us are wrong, you don't know us, and

> until you meet us don't make assumptions about who

> we are and what we stand for.

>

> This will be our last post on the forum because we

> don't want too take part in the predictability of

> the EDF any longer.

>

> Thanks to all of the people who support what we

> are doing and hopefully we can stick around for a

> while.

> The Goose Green Squatters.

What do YOU know about the predictability of the EDF? You've only just come on, hoping to drum up support for your little charade, and now you can't believe that everyone in ED isn't a 20 year old anarchist! You didn't do your homework, kids, because I think most of the fine people in this neighborhood work hard and most have not had a free ride.

This is a very generous community; if anyone needs anything people will rally around to make it happen. I'll bet a lot of people around here have clocked more VOLUNTEER hours than some people have probably worked. They are not coming to your "ideological" rescue because a lot of them work and volunteer in the public sector and know what actual need looks like.

Need shouldn't be confused with greed.

definitely one of the more fascinating threads on EDF in a long time, and some interesting and compelling arguments in favour of and against squatters more generally.

in this instance, i've been confused by

a) how the GG squatters identified the property as being vacant

b) how the GG squatters realised that there was an open upstairs window that would allow them access

at the start of the thread, there seemed to be a general amount of goodwill towards them given that they were not being particularly antisocial or intrusive towards their neighbours, but it's a shame that has dissipated in the light of their inability to put forward a coherent case for exactly *why* they are squatting. maybe there's more to it, and i've missed something, but it really does seem to come across as a bunch of students who spied an empty house belonging to someone else and moved in. i am sure that there's got to be more to the squatter movement than that, but it doesn't seem to come across from these people.

I had some friends who squatted (up in Sheffield) and their rules were always simple. Always local authority, and always properties which had been interminably unoccupied, thus serving no-one who either wanted them or needed them.

The moment you fix your sights on a privately-owned property, you run the risk of massively inconveniencing (in all sorts of ways) an individual whose personal circumstances and those surrounding the property you know nothing about - and clearly care nothing about.

But even if you are looking at a privately-owned property, one which was only sold a few months back is taking the piss!

Puzzled:

----------------------------------------

>the fact remains that climbing through an upstairs window is a vastly different thing than finding a door open. it is >illegal and it is also morally and ethically wrong to appropriate a house that someone has only recently bought. these >bloody students should be ashamed of themselves and I hope their parents will act. they presumably have student loans and >support from home. failing that they should get off their ares and do something novel... it is called WORK. highly >recommended for enabling you buy things for yourself. these buys are common thieves. I laughed when one of them said he >resented me calling them fascists. sensitive little sausage. would he be irate to my face I wonder, or remain behind his >stolen front door?

You are wrong, climbing through an open window of an abandoned house is not an illegal action. I am not questioning the morality of it but please do not argue the legality of it, because you are wrong! Also the GGS never tried to make out they found a door open. Many people are trying to make it seem like the GGS are breaking the law, and threatening this and that, but in fact, from the beginning they have made it clear they form no threat to the community, and have attempted to make it known they are not violent people looking for trouble, but looking for peace. Many of you have twisted what they have said, trying to invent threats from nothing. Many of you have stereotyped them when in fact you have no idea where any of them come from. You say you hope their parents act, how can you be sure of their situations, or even if they have parents? You say you presume they have student loans, and that they spend their money on drink and fags, but how do you know if they are university students or not, or even if they drink and smoke at all. To compare squatters to fascists, i think, is the height of idiocy. You clearly have a very small understanding of what squatters stand for, or to say at the least, what fascists stand for. This is the same as comparing them to Somali pirates, very childish, and it shows how scared and threatened you feel by these squatters, who in fact pose no threat to the community. You have also shown the flaws in your argument by trying to insult the squatter by calling him/her a sensitive little sausage. I don't think that is just, when they are resenting being called fascists, which they are clearly not. If you are going to try and take a cheap dig at people who are unwilling to have an argument with you, at least use a term relevant to them, otherwise people may think you a moron! Also you are attempting to say that GGS appeared irate at your comment, i think many people would agree, that your comments are more irate than any left by GGS, and if you are indeed curious to whether they would hide away from you behind their supposedly stolen door, maybe you should pluck up the courage to go and knock on their door and chat with them? I think perhaps it is you that is hiding behind your computer? I think you should try and be a bit more understanding!

From the beginning the squatters have made it clear, they only posted on this thread originally, was to tell people their views, not to have conflict or arguments with anyone. You are all quick to make them seem immature and wrong, but all i can see, is a group of adults, who you would expect to host some good opinions and even advice, targeting the squatters, and even beginning to name call. Anyone would think you were the kids.

>What do You know about the predictability of the EDF? You've only just come on, hoping to drum up support for your little >charade, and now you can't believe that everyone in ED isn't a 20 year old anarchist! You didn't do your homework, kids, >because I think most of the fine people in this neighborhood work hard and most have not had a free ride.

As far as i can see, the GGS didn't come one and try and drum up support for their little charade. You obviously haven't done your homework either, because if you were to look over their comments you would see that you are wrong and they have clearly been on a peaceful vibe from the start. Also again you are stereotyping and assuming they have come from protected lives and have not experienced much hardship, but from what I'm getting, most people that are opposed to squatting in this thread appear to be those sorts of people. I think if people are going to start name-calling then they should sign off, and only post on this thread if they have something constructive to say, or a question for the squatters. I think that sort of immature, stuck-up attitude wont get us anywhere, don't you agree?

I personally agree with squatting as long is there is no damage being done to the property and, they are not hassling the neighbors. If a beautiful, large property is lying empty, whilst so many children and adults alike are homeless on our streets every night, then what difference does it make or harm does it cause if those that are homeless go inside to take shelter, and look after the property until the owner expresses that they want it back? None.

Also someone asked GGS how they knew the property was vacant. Well, I have walked past the building in question many times, being fairly local, and i certainly don't know anyone that chooses government issue metal plating to cover the windows of their house, do you?

The squatters never said they climbed in through an 'open' window. They said an upstairs window. No mention was made as to whether or not it was open. Because they didn't say open I will assume it wasn't. So they could have well have broken the window to get in and then repaired it so as to not leave any trace.