Denmark Hill to Blackfriars

Good points Wulfhound. MT, sorry to sound like a cyclevangelist but I was just looking at routes for Mrs H who's a bit nervous of cycling in traffic, realised that one can get to Waterloo, with a few minutes of bike pushing, without ever mixing with traffic: if you live anywhere near Rye Lane you can cycle down the bus only section, cross to the Surrey Linear canal path, ride into Burgess Park, exit at the northeast corner. Dismount and push your bike about 600 metres along the Old Kent Road to the Bricklayer's Arms roundabout, from there the pavement either has cycle paths on or signs saying it's shared between pedestrians and cyclists all the way to Elephant. At Elephant join the new cycle path which will take you completely traffic free to Blackfriars Bridge. From there you could either cycle along the south side of the river (though on some bits, like past the OXO tower, you have to dismount) or better still, cross over Blackfriars (still completely traffic free) and ride along the new east-west route, again completely traffic free, to Waterloo Bridge, from where you could dismount and push your bike to your workplace. So basically, apart from maybe ten minutes' walking (if that), you can get from Rye Lane to Waterloo Bridge without ever sharing a road with motorised transport.

Cheers,

Rendel

Lowlander Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Clapham Junction to Waterloo is rammed in the

> morning rush hour, you might have to let at least

> 2-3 trains go by before there's space. Coming

> back you can often get a seat at Waterloo though.

>

> I've taken the 176 back from the Strand at 1830 on

> occasion and it's taken 40 minutes to Dulwich

> Library, which isn't bad.

Agreed on CJ not being a great option - and if there are any problems on Southern (common currently) sometimes just getting across platforms there (and then Overground comes in on 1/2) can be a nightmare.

40 minutes at 1830? Is that because it's so full, it's not stopping to let anyone on!

On the cycling front, getting some free cycle training can help. If you're happy cycling just not at rush hour on unfamiliar roads, then the instructors can help with helping you find a route that you're comfortable with - and will show you options for tricky junctions etc. It was a godsend when I first started thinking about commuting to work (my sole journey on a Saturday pm had previously convinced me I'd never do it!)

>40 minutes at 1830? Is that because it's so full, it's not stopping to let anyone on!

Last time I caught a 176 outside Charing Cross a month ago, it was half full and I was at Dulwich Library within 40, maybe 45 minutes. That was around 1830 in the evening. I wouldn't want to try it at peak peak times though.

Robert Poste's Child Wrote:

> How about overground to London Bridge then change

> onto the Charing X train that stops at Waterloo

> East? I think they stopped it for a while at one

> point but looks like it's back on now anyway.

> Around 30 mins in total if all working as it used

> to.

The new Charing Cross platforms don't open until late August.

I used to take the bus and it's fine if you take it at 7.30 or so, any time after and you're stuck in a slow moving procession of buses all trundling towards the bottle neck that is Elephant and Castle. Occasionally I have gotten off and walked faster than the bus I was on. The other thing that really gets my goat is the new Routemaster ... It gets so [insert expletive] HOT on those buses, it can be pleasant outside and absolutely roasting inside, that aircon is a [insert another expletive] joke. Finally, getting on at Waterloo from 4.30 onwards it just hits full rush hour and again you're stuck in a slow procession of buses (roasting), smelling of chicken. I am really fed up with the buses (I take the 12 from Peckham Road).

My old cycle route is not too bad, although it does mix with HGVs there are a lot of other cyclists (safety in numbers) and I go down Kennington Lane which is nice and wide. When I was based at London Bridge I used to go via Burgess Park and Bricklayers Arms, it sounds like a bit of a roundabout way of getting there tbh. (Incidentally I got attacked in Burgess Park cycling back in the evening (winter, so dark) one time, ever since I try and give that park a wide birth, especially in dark)

I used to run in to work as well, it's not that far and I quite enjoy it, I will definitely do that again, but I can't commute like that every day unfortunately!

Ah! That's what I used to do when not cycling! Take the train to London Bridge, leg it to the platform where the Charing X train stops and jump on, but with the London Bridge refurb that option got axed. If that platform opens up again end August I may be alright!

Maybe I'm a bit confused but Network Rail shows a service as running so I thought it must be back on already. Perhaps it's going from another platform or there's a reduced number of them?

Would be good news if so as those new routemaster-style buses are like ovens in the hot weather. They have what sounds like airconditioning, but no cool air and no windows to open. Bearable during the day but not funny when traffic's slow.

> Maybe I'm a bit confused but Network Rail shows a

> service as running so I thought it must be back on

> already. Perhaps it's going from another platform

> or there's a reduced number of them?

Not until August 2016 - platforms being rebuilt and trains run non-stop through London Bridge.

Journey Planner show the tube instead, click on "details".

> Yes - probably elf n safety.

Sort of, but they could have been left open if Tfl could afford a conductor to monitor them, but they can't. Another example of Boris' style over substance policies.

Lowlander Wrote:

> Robert Poste's Child Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Maybe I'm a bit confused but Network Rail shows

> a

> > service as running so I thought it must be back

> on

> > already. Perhaps it's going from another

> platform

> > or there's a reduced number of them?

>

> Not until August 2016 - platforms being rebuilt

> and trains run non-stop through London Bridge.

>

> Journey Planner show the tube instead, click on

> "details".

Yes, sadly you're right - although Network Rail seems to have it timetabled still, under status there's a slightly confusing message about engineering works till 2018. Feel sad now; one of my favourite ways to Trafalgar Sq.

How long would it take to walk from D Hill to Waterloo - an hour maybe?

> How long would it take to walk from D Hill to

> Waterloo - an hour maybe?

Less, it's almost precisely three miles. Along the Camberwell, Walworth and Waterloo roads at rush hour though, not the world's most charming or unpolluted walk!

In rush hour, walking to Waterloo takes about the same time as the bus, but it's not a particularly pleasant walk. You can get the train to Blackfriars and walk from there, but still have to catch a bus to Denmark Hill and Thameslink line is pretty unreliable and busy in RH. Alternatively, you can get train from ED to London Bridge and then try to get on the Jubilee line. Probably about 35-40 minutes in total (although again, not the most pleasant journey).

All in all, I would say that either the bus, or cycling are the best (of limited) options.

Hi southwark cyclists run a Bike Train from Denmark Hill station to Blackfriars with a branch to waterloo if that's where you want to go. We leave Peckham Rye station (from the bike stands behind McDonalds beside the station) at 8.10am and get to Blackfriars north side at 8.45am. We can easily peel a buddy rider off with you to Waterloo and you would arrive about the same time. if the times don't suit you then get in touch because we can arrange individual rides. Return rides are arranged individually on the day. Cyclists who have been doing the route with us for a few weeks start to manage their own rides home and after a while they are helping others and the whole thing is very jolly.

We use a very safe route to get to the segregated routes at the Elephant. At no point is anyone sharing the road with a bus or a lorry. Most of the time there is a reassuring width of concrete between you and the nearest large vehicle.

if you are interested private msge me or text me on 07842 640 207 and I can send you a map etc or you can come with us OR you could ride the bike train route this sunday am. Look on the "two social cycle rides this weekend...." thread in the What's on in ED chat group and you will see full info. Or again text me, look at southwarkcyclists.org.uk or just turn up