Toddler bed vs single bed

At 15 months my son is sleeping on his cot mattress on our bedroom floor which is working out really well but I want to look to get him a bed soon (he can easily get up onto our bed so getting in/out not an issue) and was wondering whether I should go for a toddler bed (http://www.johnlewis.com/230572895/Product.aspx?source=14798) or go straight to a single bed. And what age does a toddler bed go up to?

x

I think cot beds are the way forward, but if you got a cot at the start then I think go straight to a single bed once the cot is outgrown. Grab yourself a bed guard of some type - some great products out there to keep them safe (my friend's little 2 year old just broke collar bone falling out of her bed). What about a car bed - ridiculous things of course, but my nephews (8 and 6) love theirs still(and they are safe for littlies).

PS Some bed sizes are 'small singles' if space is an issue.

Both my boy went into a proper single bed at 2. They have a Malm bed from IKEA. It's low to the ground, so no worries about falling out and it's fairly wide.

We did have a cot bed but at 2 they were both that when I took the sides off they just looked really cramped. I made the decision to get them straight into a bed as I would have had to do it sooner or later anyway

I found that the both fell out a couple of times the first week and then never again

I have just purchased the "dream tubes" from Amazon....dream tubes

now on offer..

Our daughter who is just over two has just gone into a full size single, didn't see the point in wasting money on a small bed that she'd be uncomfortable in in a few years.

Just looked at the dream tubes and they look great. My 2.5 very tall daughter is out growing her cot and I have been wondering wether to buy her a cot bed or move her to the single bed which is already in her room as a guest bed. Moving her to the single bed would make her room more spacious. Do these work on all single beds my spare one is IKEA single.

I have the dream tubes fitted onto a standard 3ft single bed. The tubes are inserted into a fitted sheet... so they should fit, not sure what size IKEA beds are.

My daughter has slept so well in her new bed, she loves it.The dream tubes also help to keep the duvet on.

The dream tubes look great. My son rolled over in bed so vigorously the other night that he hit his nose on the wooden bed guard and there was blood everywhere!

As for single v cot bed, I think it's partly down to whether you ever need to sleep with the child. We don't very often, but when he is sick or has a nightmare we sometimes lie down with him until he is asleep - and a cot bed is not that comfortable to curl up in for too long...

We've used single bed BUT turned single duvet 90 degrees and seriously tucked it under the mattress. They're snuggled and little chance of falling out. For summer months single unfitted sheet and did the same thing with duvet over the top. My wife's a genuis for arranging these things.

SMILER... yes they are to stop the child from falling out of bed, and they are also very useful for keeping the duvet on. Also great for taking away on holiday or visiting friends/family where your child may have to sleep in a single bed.