Trains screeching on Copleston Road

Hi Daniel

I have a page on the forum "Sation Manger Corner"...... If you can let me know who you spoke with I can speak with my Network Rail Customer Relationship Manager direct for you. Not prmising anything, but its worth a shot.

Regards

Barry

Hi Barry,

We called the national help line on this number.

08457 114141

We have had several phone calls with them and got reference numbers etc but they are pretty poor at responding and we just seem to get fobbed off!

They said we are on a shallow bend so there is no reason for the screeching and they said they carried out a track inspection last year and could find nothing wrong with it but would fill the grease pots. I have stood on the road bridge and looked down the tracks and I am no expert but they do look slightly buckled to me which I am sure causes the noise?

Anything you could do would be a great help as the screeching was not like this when we first moved in so something has deff changed in the last 5 years.

Thanks again

Dan

they have dropped some new track by the start of the estate/end of invanhoe road end, but i remember them working on the track last year and this does not seem to have improved anything.

if i'd known that network rail would do anything about this i would have complained years ago. so, if a rally call is needed please let me know. i'll sign petitions, turn up to meetings to cut that noise. . .

Grease pots lubricate the side of the wheels or tracks to a certain extent to reduce track friction. This in turn should reduce the Screeching noise. I think some trains have grease pots on them or some are situated beside the tracks... (Sorry Yawn..!!)

Have you noticed that some of the trains Screech and others do not...? It must be that some have greased wheels and others don't. I know we all live by the side of a railway line and were probably aware of this fact when we moved in but there must be something the train operators can do to reduce the discomfort of the Screeching trains. Especially if some are noisy and others are not.

I don't think it will harm if all those who think the noise is too much call Network Rail (08457 114141) and log a complaint.

Network Rail is a national body. So also complain via your MP which for Copleston Road is Harriet Harman giving Network Rail references you've been given. NR will have a person or team specifically for dealing with MP's and cabinet ministers.

You might want to wait for after the elections as her office will be crazy with election fever OR you might want to ride the wave of trying to please people before the elections.

To all those who think the noise has got too loud from the screeching trains call Network Rail (08457 114141) and log a complaint. It won't hurt if we at least make a noise about it!!!!!

The noise has got louder, it is a fact - maybe if you have lived here for years and can just turn off you don't notice it.

The only way the people in charge know there is a problem is if we all tell them. I know SM BJones is telling his bosses but if we all call Network Rail as well I am sure we will get a better and sooner result. If not then we go to our local councilor.

Hi

I am hoping to have my upate today

Very hectic week, sorry for delay

Barry

danielgriffiths Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> To all those who think the noise has got too loud

> from the screeching trains call Network Rail

> (08457 114141) and log a complaint. It won't hurt

> if we at least make a noise about it!!!!!

>

> The noise has got louder, it is a fact - maybe if

> you have lived here for years and can just turn

> off you don't notice it.

>

> The only way the people in charge know there is a

> problem is if we all tell them. I know SM BJones

> is telling his bosses but if we all call Network

> Rail as well I am sure we will get a better and

> sooner result. If not then we go to our local

> councilor.

Hi

SUCCESS........ After speaking with a colleague he has put me in touch with someone at Network Rail, I have given the contact at NWR the location and this will now be dealt with. Hopefully in the next 7 days the issue will be eradicated.

That was a tough one!

Kind regards

Barry

ps No joy with my screeching as a different problem :'(

• 9 months later...

Hi Barry,

I've just read the threads of discussions about the screeching noise on the railway stretch behind Copleston Road and wondered what the 'success' was you referred to? What was done and how was it dealt with back in April, as I noticed no difference.

The noise coming from the trains on the track has not stopped, in fact got worse last Summer and as Spring approaches again I'm certain we're all about to spend yet another Summer disturbed by the awful screeching.

Is there nothing that can be done?

There must be dozens of households affected by it and yet Network Rail does absolutely nothing.

Any advice PLEASE!

Tony

I have complained for the last 3 years & network rail do not seem to give a $hit! Some trains screech others do not, which makes me think it is a problem with some trains. The only thing I can think is if more people complain something might be done...call Network Rail (08457 114141) and log a complaint and something might be done...

Heavenly days... Friction between wheel and rail, and hence screeching, will differ depending on the train WEIGHT.

A goods train? A passenger train?

To differentiate between laden and empty goods trains, mind you, a note of time of transit might be necessary.

Go armed into battle! When complaining, cite dates, times, and TYPES OF TRAIN ! ! !

All passenger, eh? Then a bit of trainspotting is in order: Any visible differences between screeching and non-screeching rolling stock? It seems that the rails aren't the problem, since when certain trains pass no noise is made...

Might the noise really depend not on stock type, but on individual undercarriages, requiring that Network Rail address the matter waggon by waggon, tracking back from your data on time of day and noise / no noise, and re-jiggering individual wheels?