Urgent buggy in plane hold question!

Me, my very new husband (got married on Thursday!) and son are trying to book a last minute getaway, to Lisbon. However, our 'small' buggy is buggered (a bugaboo bee, the seat unit has gone to Bugaboo heaven). Our other big buggy is the Jane Slalom Pro (http://www.babykitdirect.co.uk/gfx/media/home/shop/jane/janeslalomprostrataamazon.jpg) and whilst it is quite light, and does fold up, it is somewhat bulky. Would we be able to check it in as 'bulky' or oversized items and lug the baby around Gatwick in the baby bjorn or is this a no-no? REALLY don't want to have to buy a maclaren for this one trip!!!

You should be able to check it in plane-side, ie, after walking down the gangway before boarding. Baggage/cabin crew take it and will place it in the baggage hold and return it to you there when you land. It would be easier for toting baby around the airport. Otherwise, if it isn't a full flight or you have a bigger plane, ask if they would be able to store it onboard in a closet.

Hope that helps.

Hi Ruth, BIG congrats and have fun in Lisbon. We recently went to Majorca with our 4.5 month old, checked the buggy in with our other bags (just had to take it to the oversized section) and then used the sling whilst at the airport, for me it was the easiest way to do things as when he fell asleep I was able to just leave him on me and get hubby to put the seat belt on us both rather than waking him and having a grumpy baby on the flight. However we're pretty light packers so I only had the baby bag & hubby his camera bag so very little else bar baby to carry. Depending on who you're flying take seats with a gap (so if a three configuration take the window & outside ones) and then let everyone coming towards you see you have a baby, generally they then avoid you! :-) So unless the flight is full or you're flying with someone nicer than Ryan Air or Easyspace you get that extra seat for the three of you. If you can pre book seats then I'd still go for booking a 3 as most people will still avoid a single seat and will generally swap if they do end up sitting between you & hubby - all sounds a bit complicated in how I've explained things but hopefully you get the general gist of it..! Have fun.

I think it depends on the both the airport and the airline. We recently flew to Montpellier with Easy Jet from Gatwick. We were able to bring our buggy right up the gate on the way there but on the way home we had to check it with luggage so ended up not having a buggy for hours and then the plane was cancelled. All very annoying and the baby bjorn definitely came in handy. We then flew home with RyanAir from Carcasonne and were able to bring the buggy right up to the plane door. At Gatwick all sorts of buggies were going into the hold- even ones which had to be taken apart into two pieces. We also have a Bee.

You don't have to pay on Easy Jet. I also think they allow you to bring baby equipement (car seat or carry cot) for free but you do have to pay on Ryan Air.

Enjoy your travels Ruth and Rogue.

hey Ruth big congrats to you and your very new hubby!

I have traveled a lot since my son was 6 weeks old (he is nearly 2 now), always with easyjet or ryanair (not because I love them but because they are the only ones flying to tiny places I happen to go to). I have never had any problems taking my maclaren with me all the way to the plane, and leaving it by the plane just before getting on. I will always do it (take the buggy all the way) - once I checked the buggy in and had my 6-month old in a sling, but then the plane was delayed for hours and I ended up with a very sore back and a very grumpy baby.

You dont need to pay for a buggy with any of the cheap airlines but other baby equipment is not free.

I am now expecting baby2 and dread to travel with two children - but that's a story for a different post! :)

We have done an awful lot of traveling with our two under fives and have always taken our buggy as far as the gate - from a Stokke, maclaren, quinny and Jane powertwin - never had a problems. They generally just ask you to fold it before they take it off you as they don't now how to do it themselves and then you pick it up at the other end. Only time we ever had a problem was in Rhodes when they put our Stokke on the conveyor with all the other luggage and it of course didn't fit and broke, but the insurance paid out when we came back so wasn't too bad! Congratulations and good luck.

Narnia- the same could be said for my Husband! 18 years of strict catholic schools etc, but the jokes on them because I was pregnant within 14 weeks of us living together!!! Our almost 6 month old was an 'usher' and was PERFECT on the day though.

Thanks everyone! We decided against Lisbon in the end for fear of the 30-35 degree heat pickling the Bubs, but it's good to know all the info re: buggies and will bear it in mind when we go to Tel Aviv at the end of the year!