Whistleblowing

Huguenot

I feel a sense of d?j? vu all over again. If you leave too, whose butt am I going to kick when things get quiet around here?

Does this not just prove that you're on here to wind things up?

I can't say as I blame Huguenot and feel the same way myself

Word!

'Friendly, local forum'. Yeah, whateeeeever...

Well quite. This used to be a friendly forum, with disgreements, but ones that were discussed in a polite, and usually funny manner. Now, for the first time, it feels like there are distinct groups of posters, and it's all a bit nasty. I keep on coming back, like you keep visiting you favourite pub, once the glory days have passed, just because you hope that it'll recapture that spark. It's not happening however.

I'll probably keep reading and posting because I seem to be unable to just walk away, but it's almost self harm, as this place sucks! I feel really bad for Admin, who has tried to give the community something nice, and useful, only to be constantly questioned by a few posters with chips on their shoulders.

HAL, you've acted like a nasty piece of work on this thread, and don't try saying you haven't, you enjoy getting a rise out of people, and it's a bit sad quite frankly.

[quote name=Keef.

Well quite. This used to be a friendly forum' date=' with disgreements, but ones that were discussed in a polite, and usually funny manner. Now, for the first time, it feels like there are distinct groups of posters, and it's all a bit nasty. I keep on coming back, like you keep visiting you favourite pub, once the glory days have passed, just because you hope that it'll recapture that spark. It's not happening however. I'll probably keep reading and posting because I seem to be unable to just walk away, but it's almost self harm, as this place sucks! I feel really bad for Admin, who has tried to give the community something nice, and useful, only to be constantly questioned by a few posters with chips on their shoulders.]

Yes, I agree with you - this thread (and the original one on facebook privacy/spam) doesn't make for pleasant reading on what is intended to be a friendly and local resource. Its a real shame.

I just have to say that I still think that this is a great forum. I never post in the Lounge but I do use the forum for everything else it was intended for: information of what's on in the area.. finding a recommended local business.. passing on items.. picking up unwanted items.. as a new mum, getting advice from the family section.. and as a local business, picking up new clients when my existing clients recommend me.

Admittedly I read a lot more than I post. But I think to say that the forum sucks is a little unfair. This post sucks. And perhaps regular lounge-posters feel the forum has changed / that it sucks / that it isn't what it used to be.. But for me, and I think many many more, the forum is still brilliant for many many things. I don't think Admin should feel sad or bad for that.

xx

Well said, busy-bee.

Time to let this thread drift to the bottom of the page and get forgotten (said she, posting). If people choose to walk away from the foum that's a real shame but I guess asking them to return (said she, having done so) is going to be less effective than just making an effort to keep the forum stimulating, useful and funny.

Keef, katie and everyone - let's take legalbeagle up on her kind offer of prosecco and celebrity body parts and make nice. Summer is a coming in, loudly sing cuckoo. And could I please put in an order for Timothy Oliphant's bottom?

The forum still makes me smile.

Let me make it clear that I do not have any personal issues with the real people who post as Mockney or Huguenot, or anyone else, for that matter. It's only an internet forum ? I don?t take anything on here too seriously. I'm sure most of you are aware that flame wars and confrontations have a tendency to escalate and acquire a life of their own on internet forums in general. This has happened on this thread, in my view.

If some of us had more brains than balls, I don't think this thread would have degenerated into the unpleasant quagmire it has become. I accept my fair share of responsibility in that respect: this isn't how I intended my contribution to end up being perceived.

On occasion I have tried to inject some levity into the proceedings that appear to have been misinterpreted as barbs or snide remarks by some - adding fuel to the flames.

Anyway, all my previous attempts to 'make up' with Mockney and Huguenot have been rejected. Huguenot chose to leave us with the legacy of a thread containing some fairly malevolent remarks about me that pretty much set the tone for the ensuing discussion.

As far as I am concerned, I?ve made my point and the underlying issues have been done to death so I won?t be opening any new fronts or introducing new arguments unless others raise sensible issues that require a reasoned response.

Frankly, if clocks could be turned back, I'm fairly sure that every contender would ensure that this thread wasn't here this morning. We can't turn back time, the thread is here - so, any sensible suggestions for a mutually acceptable 'happy ending' on a postcard please

Saying the forum sucks was harsh, as parts of it are very useful and friendly. Other parts are not. Unfortunately, they're the parts that I most enjoyed. Admin should be proud of the forum, but comes in for a lot of cr@p from some people.

HAL9000 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

Frankly, if clocks could be turned back, I'm fairly sure that every contender would ensure that this thread wasn't here this morning. We can't turn back time, the thread is here - so, any sensible suggestions for a mutually acceptable 'happy ending' on a postcard please

My suggestion? Walk away from the thread. If you feel you've made your point and you don't take any of it all that seriously then it sounds as though you're done here.

Let's let *Bob* have the last word.

brum Wrote:

For me, The forum is a place to go to chat, debate, have fun, create stimulating discussion, make good friends, meet lovers, inform, learn, be crude, feel part of a vibrant community. In other words, everything most of this thread isn't.

Oh and to make up new words like 'norkage'TMBob.

---------------------------------------------------------

First, I'd like to say, wot brum said. And what everyone else has said about the forum being a positive useful happy place where we should have a good time and be nice. Let's just drop it now, and move on. Life's too short.

Moos Wrote:

let's take legalbeagle up on her kind offer of prosecco and celebrity body parts and make nice. Summer is a coming in, loudly sing cuckoo. And could I please put in an order for Timothy Oliphant's bottom?

And secondly, I'd like to say that Moos, I love the spirit of your post, and award you Mr Oliphant's bottom in its entirety, along with the obligatory Prosecco. In the normal course of events I would agree with PGC that an entire bottom is slightly greedy, however these are not normal events. Please note however that we've just had them back from a goup of yummy mummy's partying on Brockwell Park in the sunshine and they are a little, well, worn out. Do what you will, but be kind.