Irish people in ED?

hayesgrover

Despite the influx of different ethnic groups into Ireland, I find them to be quite shockingly overtly racist. Considering the fact that in our life time the Irish have in the majority experienced a good reception here in the UK, Australia and in the USA for example, they are not too welcoming of economic migrants into their country. I am rather disappointed by that.

dulwichmum Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Despite the influx of different ethnic groups into

> Ireland, I find them to be quite shockingly

> overtly racist. Considering the fact that in our

> life time the Irish have in the majority

> experienced a good reception here in the UK,

> Australia and in the USA for example, they are not

> too welcoming of economic migrants into their

> country. I am rather disappointed by that.

It's worryingly true... The village I come from in Ireland, and all my relations over there seem to be overly racist and utterly backwards, jumping in shock at the mention of a gay person - I work in theatre, and they think its disgusting I work with "queers" (always said in a deep horrified whisper. I last went back for a wedding last year, and despite my love for the country in general, I won't be returning to my family's village as they're so small minded.

Of course, this is only the tiniest village in deepest Ireland... Not everyone thinks that way...

Ah yes, I thought it was the same one but moved!

Aww the Irish festival! Haven't gone in years... My dad would spend a lot of time in the beer tent, then flicking through Christy Moore cassettes!

I remember when I was about five I took ONE Irish dancing lesson in that dodgy looking church in Nunhead, but I was useless and gave up.

It's terrible, but growing up in the country you werent born in makes you lose your identity. During England matches peers would always berate me for never supporting England. "You aint Irish! You live here! Effin support England!!" My parents have the accent, but I've more of a south east London brouge... *sigh*

I've begun to see myself as a Londoner first and foremost.

One thing I find weird is how when I say I'm half Irish, people (especially from other countries) instantly warm to me much more. As if it's so much better than being English. It's such a stupid generalisation, as if every English person is a beer-swilling footbal hooligan and every Irishman a softly spoken affable rascal.

Bleedin Nora! It looks like Kilburn has migrated to Dulwich! ;-) I've not noticed such a swarm of paddies in one spot since the Guinness was on offer in Somerfield! Anyone and everyone seems to have a thin strain of Irish DNA somewhere down the line. Like the Americans who are "1/16 Irish, 1/8 Polish, 2/5 Burmese and 3/7 Norwegian". None are American of course.

I'm not Irish, but my girlfriend is. I'm surprised she's not been on here to show some love today. I agree with James' point - I had a salesman on my case yesterday telling me how he relies daily on his thick brogue to make a sale.

Dear James,

I think there is some truth in what you are saying, but I have a vivid memory of being in Jamaica some years ago, and visiting the plantation house of a notorious/evil famed slave and plantation owner. My mother was wallowing in the "I am Irish and we are loved by everyone/never invaded or went to war with anyone image"... until the tour guide told us how the evil white witch of Rose Hall was in fact born in County Kerry.

We have just returned from a holiday in Cornwall, and my little son made friends with an Irish boy on his holidays there too. Michael took great pleasure in telling my son, "everyone loves the Irish, all the terrorists love coming to London to kill you English - everyone hates the English." My son was really distressed by this, and I don't blame him. I am proud of where I am from, I don't mind if people do not warm to me because of it. I tell anyone who will listen - I am from Dulwich... But then I am

I'm Irish but have lived here for years. Why it matters or is interesting how many of us live in the area I've no idea. I don't belong to an Irish club, I'm married to a Spaniard and my son was born in Kings. He has an Irish passport as it was the one we could get the quickest when we needed one. I don't think for one minute he is bothered by what nationality he is.

I enjoy the way some Irish have a way of playing with words in conversation that tends to be beyond the understanding of other people, but in general the most important thing is that I'm human. Whatever differences we have we have more in common.

One of the less commented upon aspects of being Irish, is how "tribal" we are. It always seems to matter (to Irish people), that you point out which part of Ireland you come from...town/county.

Also, the whole business of "playing with words", is different depending upon wherabouts in the country you come from. My Northern family are completely to the point, whereas with my Cork family it takes about an hour to determine if they mean "Yes" or "No", if you offer them a cup of tea. Strewth.

wee quinnie Wrote:

> One of the less commented upon aspects of being

> Irish, is how "tribal" we are. It always seems to

> matter (to Irish people), that you point out which

> part of Ireland you come from...town/county.

> Also, the whole business of "playing with words",

> is different depending upon wherabouts in the

> country you come from. My Northern family are

> completely to the point, whereas with my Cork

> family it takes about an hour to determine if they

> mean "Yes" or "No", if you offer them a cup of

> tea. Strewth.

I meant 'playing with words' in respect of their sense of humour. I take your point though about it taking forever to make a decision.

The false perception of other countries is bizarre. I remember being in the states back in the early 1980's when being British was almost criminal in certain communities in Detroit, New York and Boston. Now following the great Mr Blair's political love affair with the President, the Brits are looked upon as a great bunch, everyone talks to you and warms to you because you support the 'war on terror' nonsense. The strerotypes are all wrong, and it angers me how so many people jump on them when they feel the time has come to box an entire nation of people together because of some of the political decisions or a few. Not all Irish folk are members of the IRA, and not all British people are members of the Labour party!

Declan Wrote:

> wee quinnie Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > One of the less commented upon aspects of being

> > Irish, is how "tribal" we are. It always seems

> to

> > matter (to Irish people), that you point out

> which

> > part of Ireland you come from...town/county.

> > Also, the whole business of "playing with

> words",

> > is different depending upon wherabouts in the

> > country you come from. My Northern family are

> > completely to the point, whereas with my Cork

> > family it takes about an hour to determine if

> they

> > mean "Yes" or "No", if you offer them a cup of

> > tea. Strewth.

>

>

> I meant 'playing with words' in respect of their

> sense of humour. I take your point though about it

> taking forever to make a decision.

"will you have a wee cup of tea,are you sure now,sure its only a little cup,ach go on sure,it,ll do you no harm,will you not change your mind,ach go on now,go on go on go on go on go on,........" mrs doyle(father ted) non irish people think she was a bit of a made up character but for those in the know she wasnt too far off the mark.

Mrs Doyle is so true - she exists in almost every home in Ireland. Is there really an Irish shop on LL. I thought I saw one a couple of years ago driving through LL, however, only spending evenings up in ED now, I havent seen it since. If there is one - where is it? I am heading there asap :) Thank you...

I was brought up on Irish Rebel songs and was disgusted when I finally realised I was actually one of the despised British I'd grown up hating, despite the last Irish born descendent being my maternal Granddad and Grandma. My eldest daughter's dad is Irish tho, but he's not seen her since she was 6. After that I was around Jamaicans so much, I sort of forgot I was British again.

Confusing stuff this identity lark.

Only if you buy into the idea of tribalism anyway. Being irish, caribbean, english or russian confers nothing except an idea of where your parents might have had sex. Far better to let people judge you on. . . Ooh i dunno. . Ones actions?

a trivial example. . . i long held the belief that taytos were a superior crisp. Just because i was irish. And abroad. Not only was i wrong i was argumentative about such a pointless thing!

I had a giant bag of the free state version of cheese and onion Taytos on the ferry to Dublin last June, and I was disappointed with the taste somewhat. I actually wander if Walkers make the crisps and package the food in Tayto packaging. I remember Taytos being very nice crips, but they are just clones now. Walkers destroyed Smiths over here and contributed to the death of Golden Wonder, as you can tell I am not a big fan of Walkers.