Yet another estate agents

Odyssey

Aww leave Truepenny's alone, a thoroughly nice bunch of people... yes, despite their being estate agents!!

We've just bought a house with them and they found tenants for my other half's house in Herne Hill very quickly, so I guess that does make them 'property consultants' ;-)

Really nice people to work with, and I'm not just saying that, I'm very opinionated!!

I do accept that there are a *ridiculous* number of estate agents down LL though, I don't think I've ever been to an area so densely populated by them... though the area round Herne Hill station is going the same way it must be said!!

cate Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> dubluke Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > by the way - why do you ask?

>

> I was curious as to how much experience you had as

> you seem very idealistic.

Fair enough, I wouldn't describe myself as an idealist but certainly as an optimist, particularly at work; perhaps I have not been in the industry long enough to become disullusioned with it just yet, but with that in mind I have only ever worked for independent agents with an ethos emphasising honesty and good practice

edit - plus I am an honest and (I would like to think) nice person

dubluke Wrote:

> cate Wrote:

> -----

> > dubluke Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > by the way - why do you ask?

> >

> > I was curious as to how much experience you had

> as

> > you seem very idealistic.

>

> Fair enough, I wouldn't describe myself as an

> idealist but certainly as an optimist,

> particularly at work; perhaps I have not been in

> the industry long enough to become disullusioned

> with it just yet, but with that in mind I have

> only ever worked for independent agents with an

> ethos emphasising honesty and good practice

>

> edit - plus I am an honest and (I would like to

> think) nice person

xxxxxx

Good for you, go for it, I always fancied being an estate agent because I think homes are so important, but I couldn't hack the apparent dishonesty I saw in the estate agents I came into contact with

Getting back to where I started, there are too many Estate Agents (Property Consultants) on Lordship Lane. A lot of this type of work is more suited for the Virtual World (the internet) where they can carry on charging their virtual prices.

As for rental side of the business, this is money for old rope. If you ever have the pleasure of living beside a property that has been rented out you would quickly realize that the property generally goes unmaintained, the grass gets longer, the hedges overgrow and to try and get any maintenance work done to shared areas is almost impossible. The Estate Agents/Property Consultants don't give a damn.

So to suggest that the rental side of the market is the professional side is a joke as nothing gets done. The only thing they are good at is collecting the rent.

What you need is a mixture of shops on any given High Street and not a bias towards one type.

I remember recently going to Putney and trying to find a bakery. Instead I found seven estate agencies next to each other. This didn't include the other estate agents on the other side of the road and further on up the road. This in my mind is utter madness.

Ok. How many places on a Saturday can you buy bread on Lordship Lane/ Northcross Road? It's got to be running into 20+ and the margin on a loaf of bread is didley compared to a commision on a house. Simples.

My wife likes Luca's bread and croissants so I went there this morning. Dear God, two pretzels, two croissants and a sandwich loaf... the difference between the margin on those in there and the margin on a house isn't that big.

Mick Mac Wrote:

> Mick Mac Wrote:

> -----

> > Estate agents are three a penney on LL.

>

>

> Not a single laugh......

That's funny though...

What qualifications do you need to become an estate agent besides the following:

1. good at bullshitting

2. looking people straight in the eye while telling them a complete lie

3. being able to think of a price and doubling it

4. anything else?