Dulwich Park Cafe change of owners.

Seabag Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The best Cafe in a Park is the one in Crystal

> Palace, it's owned by people that seem to be

> happy. They make nice food and are nice to you.

>

> Fancy that eh!

The little cafe at the entrance to The Rookery at the top of Streatham Common is good too.

Fantastic cakes, huge portions, and friendly service.

The savoury stuff on the menu looked yummy too, will try that next time!

• 1 month later...
The menu today consisted mainly of pizza (min ?8.50)-surely customers already served by Pizza Express and Rocca just by the park and very overpriced cake-better quality in nearby Gails or better setting in the Picture Gallery. No sign of a bacon, egg or sausage sandwich. No cheap beans on toast for the kids, no chips and ?5 for a small coke and packet of crisps! Unsurprisingly the one improvement seems to be less queues...Decor small improvement but surely thats to be expected when just opened and not got any customers...

I went a couple of weeks ago and it was chaotic. I'm hoping it was just teething troubles. Unhappy to see tea had gone up from ?1.40 to ?1.80 though. Also, tea was being served in pots but milk still dispensed from a rancid communal jug which doesn't really work when you've got a pot of tea so I had to go back to ask for a second cup to put the milk in.

Is there a jinx on the cafe in Dulwich park ? Is it positioned at the junction of malicious lay lines or something ?

I've known it for over 40 years and it's always been a joke .

Maybe there are reasons why from time to time they couldn't produce hot water ,lids for takeaway coffee ,chips ..the list goes on . But what would be the reason for the succession of (mainly) unhelpful staff who would never apologise or offer any grace .It has so often felt to me that customers were a nuisance to be endured - hot summer days ,not only do we stick to our ridiculous early closing time but half an hour before that we put two thirds of the seating out of action and set about cleaning around any who have the temerity to try and finish their drinks .

Is the rent too high to support adequate numbers and well trained staff ? Does the demand fluctuate too much /is insufficient to make this work as a business ? What is it ?

The new owners, are quite a big company, and run cafes in the majority of Royal parks, Battersea Park and many others. They told me that they are only running it as it is as a temporary measure. After Christmas they will be closing down for about two months to redevelop the cafe up to their normal standards. Hopefully this will mean all round improvements. I have found the new staff friendly, and the prices average for now a days.

I went in there a couple of weekends back, dunno if that was before or after the change. At whatever time it was (12 ish?) I absolutely was not allowed to have the full english breakfast (which comes with toast) as it states before 11 only, but *was* allowed have all the constituent ingredients added to a sausage sandwich. hmmm.

tomskip Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Is ?2.25 for a packet of crisps about right? I'm

> obviously way behind the times!

Did you pay that fora bag of crisps? Hope they tasted good. You can get a 24 multipack of walkers for the same price.

Louisa.

I found it much improved. The filthy 'play area' with broken, dirty toys has gone. More feeling of space with new layout. Better selection of cakes and good pizza. Will miss the door step bread with beans or sausage sandwich though.: and hope you can still get a portion of chips!

I had a coffee this week (2.50) and it was horrible - - nasty burnt after taste

And it felt 'flat' there is usually a lightness to a latte. I have never felt comfortable with two

Local businesses being forced out by a chain (totally Southwark councils fault)

Just glad I won't feel inclined to spend any money at either of these ages and will save up for a Gail's

From time to time.