Moving to Talfourd Road from East Dulwich - is it safe?

Lisa T

I am thinking of moving to Talfourd Road in Peckham. The street itself has a nice feel and it's close to Bellenden road and all that has to offer. However I'm anxious about its proximity to The Pelican estate. I know loads of estates are totally fine but would like to know if this is one of them. Have read some unpleasant stuff on Google but this goes back several years.

I see this street as no more dangerous than other rough streets like Fellbrigg Road and Friern in East Dulwich. Once when I was on Fellbrigg I saw two people eating fried chicken on someone else's front garden wall. This is something you don't get "betwixt the villages" where we have a neighbourhood watch system of retired headmasters and cello teachers "keeping it safe".

DovertheRoad Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I see this street as no more dangerous than other

> rough streets like Fellbrigg Road and Friern in

> East Dulwich. Once when I was on Fellbrigg I saw

> two people eating fried chicken on someone else's

> front garden wall. This is something you don't get

> "betwixt the villages" where we have a

> neighbourhood watch system of retired headmasters

> and cello teachers "keeping it safe".

I'm confused - how does sitting on someone's wall eating chicken make it an "unsafe" area?

Obviously eating fried chicken is just the tip of the iceberg...

Once finished they will throw the bones over the wall, thus encouraging those thives in the night "the fox bros" who will ransack the bins looking for other tasty treats and screaming like babies being murdered.

Equally the chicken eaters will throw the box in the bin which will allow the ladies with trollies to rifle through it looking fir chicken boxes and other things that can be used for private information to steal your identity

Then not forgetting that the chicken eaters will, fuelled by fizzy pop, need to pee and will leave orange liquid in bottles on said wall.

So therefore sitting on a wall eating fried chicken can lead to a whole host of other minor crimes ...

Solution is simply to close all chicken shops, thus also reducing the nations obesity crisis overnight.

However saying all that I have no idea how safe talfourd road is ...

Artful got it.

Anyways to provide a more constructive answer for the OP. I have been round that area a lot and would say it is no less safe than most residential established streets in South London. The only times I've felt unsafe down here are when I've strayed onto one of the larger estates in Peckham and once one up in Vauxhall which felt like a world of their own. And I've walked through SE15 many times with no props but the only times I've been robbed on the street (once + one attempted) or burgled (twice since 2004) have been in East Dulwich.

Usual precautions aside I think you'll be fine.

Terribly nice houses at one end, but the parkings a total nightmare. Thankfully parking permit consultation will begin soon - hooray!

The 'toast rack' of streets (Shenley, Crofton, Bushey, Talfourd) are great places to live, and the estate really isnt an issue at all. Frankly its hard in S London not to live near some form of council housing.

Plenty of local coffee shops and cafes, and the little Sainsburies that has opened up has a superb range of daily goods.

I've lived in this little area for years and love it - come join the party!

I live in that neck of the woods. Lovely area. I walk up Talfourd a lot. The odd character but it's a pretty stable neighbourhood with lots of people who've lived there for many years, local kids play out a lot in the road early eves. (And on the parking front, plenty of residents who think it's just fine and very resistant to parking controls.....but that's a whole other debate)

Ooh look - friendly .helpful and generous residents .More proof of excellent place to live if any were needed !

This is in the front garden at 95 Talfourd road, a bit bashed but might do someone a turn. Just comeand take it away,no need to message me, thank you.

Attachments: image.jpeg (38.9KB)

Options: Reply To This Message?Quote This Message?Reply via Private Message (PM)?Follow This Thread?Report This Message

messageRe: Free Chest of drawers

Posted by Sherry August 25, 06:05PM

I imagine these are gone before I venture?

Options: Reply To This Message?Quote This Message?Reply via Private Message (PM)?Follow This Thread?Report This Message

messageRe: Free Chest of drawers

Posted by Kathy50 Today, 07:04AM

Sorry just seen your post, these are still outside

mancity68 Wrote:

> I live in that neck of the woods. Lovely area. I

> walk up Talfourd a lot. The odd character but it's

> a pretty stable neighbourhood with lots of people

> who've lived there for many years, local kids play

> out a lot in the road early eves. (And on the

> parking front, plenty of residents who think it's

> just fine and very resistant to parking

> controls.....but that's a whole other debate)

I think the forthcoming parking consultation will be interesting. At least 6 roads have shown they are strongly in favour of a CPZ and are likely to vote YES, and the council has indicated that if some roads vote Yes and others No, then their wishes will be respected and a partial implementation may occur (e.g. Shenley - Bushey get a CPZ, Talfourd wouldnt).

Given how bad the parking is at the moment, if Talfourd and Denman vote no, then I feel very sorry for the residents for the hell that will be unleashed on them by a combination of train travellers, bus commuters, NHS workers and all manner of other people scrabbling for the last free parking.

As we found the hard way last time, voting no for a CPZ when other areas vote yes means things get a lot worse very quickly. A lot of the people who led the no campaign last time are now prominently pushing for a CPZ in the new consultation.

mancity68 Wrote:

> Just one other thing to note, there is also the

> Fire Station at the Pelican end of Talfourd. So

> some siren noise at odd times of night!

Odd times of night......as in someone is in dire need!

Only one appliance there now, so only half the noise all you self-centred cretins would have had to put up with in the past!

mancity68 Wrote:

> Sigh. Read my post. I wasn't complaining about the

> noise in any way - just alerting someone

> unfamiliar with the area to prospect of it so that

> if it was an issue for them they could factor it

> in to their decision making.

I thought your original post was disgusting, the way you said you thought the fire station should be relocated for your benefit, that they should be banned from using their sirens in the hours of darkness, that you'd sooner people's houses burned down than your beauty sleep be disturbed and so forth...hang on, you didn't, though some of the responders to you seem to think you did.

Simon Cyrene Wrote:

> mancity68 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Just one other thing to note, there is also the

> > Fire Station at the Pelican end of Talfourd. So

> > some siren noise at odd times of night!

>

> Odd times of night......as in someone is in dire

> need!

>

> Only one appliance there now, so only half the

> noise all you self-centred cretins would have had

> to put up with in the past!

Bizarre attack on someone who was just pointing out that there is a fire station there! Seriously....