Films and TV that really are Not Helpful for new parents

Moos

4) Supernanny

(Unasseptabull)

5) The House of Tiny Tearaways

(Tanya will never come round yours and cock her head sympathetically while writing you out a life plan. Forget about it.)

http://uktv.co.uk/images/standarditem/L1/582619_L1.jpg

6) "The Life of My Moustache" by Professor Robert Winston

(No Mum, I didn't see it. Yes, I'm sure it's fascinating. You have recorded it? No, no need to post it, thanks.)

Snowboarder - We need to talk about Kevin was a seriously disturbing book "shudders". I was given it as a birthday present as well and have to say I seriously regret reading it.

Moos, I'm having loads of Little Britain moments at the moment, really, really need to convince my 21 month old to stop trying to pull up my top whilst demanding "Mook"..... :-$

Molly

You did say 21 months, right? Think you're safe, Molly! :)

I was offered WNTTAK to read when I was pregnant with Moosling - very glad I said no.

Come to think of it, The Road might be a scary one for prospective dads.

snowboarder Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Oh and that book We need to talk about Kevin.

> (not tv sorry I know...off topic already). Do not

> read if pregnant.

That book was a right pile of toss and I wouldn't recommend reading it on that basis alone. Also, I thought it was clear why the boy was messed up and not generically applicable.

Angelina jolie's the changling. I went to watch it after finding out I was having a boy, serious head mess.

Rosemary's baby isn't a nice one to watch. The Fifth Child by Doris Lessing I found properly disturbing.

Oh, also embarrassing bodies. I became obsessed with what terrible things might happen to my body post birth!

My grandmother kindly informed me that labour was quite boring and I should get a good book to read. Never having read "War and Peace" I thought this would be the perfect time to get to grips with it.

Lying in Kings (for what turned out to be false labour) wired up and left alone was not the best time to read about a miscarriage!

We watched Marley and Me (slightly syrupy affair with Owen Wilson, Jennifer Aniston and large dog plus growing family) days after O arrived and we were reeling from the shock of no sleep, baby who seemed initially rather less than impressed wth his allocation of parents, and the intricacies of breastfeeding. Was at times amusing, bittersweet and really rather charming, and quite cheered us up seeing other new parents struggling. Don't necessarily trust my judgement, was hugely hormonal, but have very sweet memory of cuddling up on sofa and enjoying a brief respite and feeling of solidarity!

PS just realised this post was asking for stuff that is NOT helpful, but at least should cheer up some long suffering new parents

hahaha this thread is great!

"Mourning Ruby" by Helen Dunmore and "The Story of You" by Julie Myerson- one about a baby that dies when something falls on her cot and the other about a 4 year old killed by a car. I wasn't even pregnant when I read these but I sobbed my very innards out!!

Lol to whoever suggested "Alien" and "The Midwich Cuckoos"! I thought of scenes from both of those very vividly during my pregnancies.