I hate all the mothers and mothers-to-be that have inflitrated East Dulwich in recent years

strictteacher

I try to be as tolerant as possible, but some of those buggies are becoming the equivalent of a chelsea tractor. And some of the kids look suspiciously old to be wheeled around.

And don't get me started about the creche/pub Sunday afternoons at the Herne Tavern. What with the customers bringing half a truck load of Sunday supplements, their ever so lovely children, buggies*, I have felt rather besieged, as well as having a sore throat from having to scream at my friends to be heard.

I need a sit down. I am really a tolerant person, I am, I think.

*see note above

Oh Gosh, wheel out this argument again. I suppose all people with children should be herded into reservations and made to stay there until the kids reach puberty.

No chance of them trying to lead an enjoyable life in case it encroaches on childless folk.

You're right, of course, I am one of those 'childless folks'. It does feel so very different from this side.

What happened to me, I used to quite like kids. Perhaps, I'm heading to middle age, a life of endlessly complaining about any niggling thing. Oh well.

Whilst I respect people's right to choose not to have kids I do think they are making a mistake that they will spend the rest of their lives trying to justify to themselves and others. This often manifests itself in anti-child/parent rants of the nature we often read here on the forum.

It's a bit like emigrating. I don't mind people who emigrate but I wish they wouldn't constantly tell everyone that they did the right thing and try and make out that Australia is great when really they long for their local and a laugh with the lads. Nobody is fooled.

There seem to be two types of buggy-haters:

Type 1 as described by Alan

Type 2: Young(ish) people who haven't got round to settling down and having kids yet.

You just know that in a few years time all the Type 2s will have kids of their own and will be out there comparing buggy size and asserting their right to take young Trixy and Maximilan to the gastro pub with them.

cdonline wrote that "some of the kids look suspiciously old to be wheeled around".

This is a puzzle. Used to be that if a child was not walking and in reins by just over a year old it would be taken to the doctor to see if it was retarded.

cdonline Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Type 3: Most Gay people.

I'd say the opposite. *Bob* Junior has many such 'Uncles' and I'd have to say that, on the whole, they are more interested than our straight male pals without children.

pray tell who will be paying for your healthcare and minimal pension when old and without kids?...oh yes, those kids you spit on whilst insisting on going to a pub with a climbing frame (oh i forgot it was put there for the adult drinkers, of course, or squirrels) jeez.

i hate weekends as all the pubs are full of people that are usually safely somewhere else during the week leaving the rest of us to enjoy the delights of this great neighbourhood in peace. including the great unwashed, unemployed, old folk and and lord forbid, some mothers too.

F**k off! ;-)

I do think people should be able to say they're not a big fan of kids being all over the place. Personally I don't mind as long as I'm not too hungover.... Pizza Express + Sunday + Hangover + Mrs Keef's nephew = HELL ON EARTH!!!!!!!!

ED has lots of houses just the right size for young families, and has a nice feel about it - hence lots of kids. ED has lots of businesses who want to tap into the local market - hence some kid friendly places/policies. It also has plenty of places where there aren't any kids. The streets are open to everybody. The fact that someone does or doesn't have kids is irrelevant to whether they are a t*sser.

So what's the problem?

Where's Dulwich Mum? I can almost here the angry steam coming out of her ears...!

I say welcome to all the mothers. I've got one, and even I was a child once, you know. Willing to bet that strictteacher was too.

AB Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

..even I was a child once, you know. Willing to

> bet that strictteacher was too.

Perhaps not. Perhaps she was born 55 years old. Like Sid James.

I'm trying to think of an adequate description, but it's hard to trump Alan's 'withered old cat collector'.

Seems v sad that she hates ALL mothers who've 'infiltrated' ED recently. To be non-hated I guess mothers round here should have been born right on Lordship Lane. Some mothers in ED have irritated me massively, but then so have some teenagers, some commuters, some shopkeepers, some streetcleaners, a GP did once too. Bus drivers. Estate agents. People annoy people, and if they're mothers is not the issue methinks.