Say NO to squirrel meat on the menu

aquarius moon

Oh yes, even if you spend hours laboriously "sealing" the net, they will simply gnaw their way through - thus damaging your netting too. What I find infuriating is that they laugh in your face as you approach them...yes...laugh in your face I tell you! The little gits!

I'm sorry about your pears though: to wait over 4 years for the sods to ultimately rob you of your produce like that can be most disheartening. I have seriously thought about purchasing an airgun. However, I worry that its use (assuming I were to aim correctly in the first instance) might result in an injured squirrel simply limping away to a slow (and cruel) death.

Is it possible to obtain a clean kill with merely an airgun does anyone know?

Ladymuck Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Frankly I'm up for eating as many as the little

> buggars as possible. They eat my broad beans, my

> sweet corn, and my strawberries on my allotment as

> well as my plums at home. They are wasteful

> too...starting on one fruit with one bite before

> moving on to the next for another bite and so on.

> Little bastards!

*still chuckling*

I think one of my cookbook have not one but two squirrel recipes. I also think the squirrel in resturants are shot hence the 'beware of lead shoots'

LM: I think a sufficient powerful airgun at close range will cleanly kill a squirrel but I have not tried it (yet).

Expat

Ps. Did someone mention Foie Gras? Mhhh

I don't believe that squirrels killed with warfarin are sold as meat. Is there any reliable source for this (i.e. not animals rights propaganda).

Talk of "beautiful wild animals" does nothing to help the cause. Whether you think an animal is beautiful or not should have no bearing on whether it is appropriate to eat them.

I'm pretty sure you aren't allowed to sell meat that has been killed with poison of any sort.

The only questions to ask when it comes to meat are, was it killed humanely, is it endangered and does it taste good.

There is also nothing wrong with controlled culls when necessary. We no longer live in an open wilderness where nature can be allowed to take its course. Even in Africa and America where a piece of land the size of this island is a drop in the ocean the ecology is impacted my human activity and therefore needs to be managed to maintain an equilibrium and prevent weaker species dying out.

In fact you can make a stronger moral argument for eating or wearing an animal that was culled necessarily than one that was bred in captivity for the purpose.

Brendan Wrote:

> Do you mean in time and space or more sort of,

> metaphysically?

Good point...I could be speaking to a mere superposition of your good self from a parallel universe...another reality...but, according to the Everett-Wheeler metatheory of Quantum Mechanics you wouldn't know it...

Ah well...

HonaloochieB Wrote:

> aquarius moon Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > P.S.

> > Don't even get me started on foie-gras!!!

>

> I'm right with you there AM, it's so bloody

> moreish, I always make a pig of myself on it.

Maybe if you knew how it was made, it would stick in your throat