ED Leisure Centre refurbishment

ed_pete

Mentioned on this forum a few times I know, Southwark is planning to spend ?5m on the refurbishment of the East Dulwich Leisure Centre. They have set up a web page to provide more information on the scheme and solicit comments and suggestions from residents, the deadline for which is 14th September. It looks like they're also planning an exhibition on the planned proposal during the w/c 19th November.

So, here's your chance to have your say.

{Admin - is it worth making this sticky until 14/9 ?}

Hmm.. the Southwark link is not that great and only offers one box in which one is supposed to ask questions, rather than make suggestions however I see no reason why it shouldn't be used for the latter. Failing that (or to make doubley sure) you can also email the Southwark Head of Leisure and Wellbeing at [email protected]

Perhaps they'll freeze everyone's membership for the duration of the works. I'm quite fortunate in that I can use Peckham Pulse as an alternative but I guess it'll become more crowded when the ED leisure centre is closed.

The FAQ simply says:

? How will the refurbishment affect me as a user?

You will end up with a modern, well-designed leisure centre that you will want to use. We?ll keep disruption to a minimum whilst the building is going on, keep you fully informed and offer you an alternative whilst we are refurbishing your local centre.

Personally I think ?5.3m should go a long way and we ought to end up with swimming pool to rival JAGS (I'm sure most people only join JAG's for the pool). Peckham Pulse was great when it opened but it went down-hill through lack of council resources. Whilst I know i should be commending this initiiative I sadly suspect that once refurbished, ED Leisure Centre will go the same way (broken lockers, showers not working, dirty changing rooms) etc and 5 years after re-opening it'll need another makeover.

• 2 months later...

Received the following email today and thought forum members might be interested:

On August 17 2007 the council began a six-week consultation period with residents of East Dulwich, Nunhead, Peckham Rye, South Camberwell and The Lane by posting 26,000 letters and business reply cards to them. At the same time, the council posted 6,500 letters and cards to regular users of the Centre and invited all clubs that use the facilities to email their members in order to ensure that they were also included in the consultation.

To see the results of the consultation report along with revised frequently asked questions please use the hyperlinks which will take you to the relevant pages on our web site. The consultation is also available in printed format at the Centre reception. Of course we would like you to read the report in full and urge you to take a few minutes to do so, however the headlines of the consultation are; of the 32,500 letters and reply cards posted we received 2,236 replies (a response rate of 6.8%), with 1,292 current Centre users taking part.

The respondents were vocal when it came to refurbishment topics around; changing rooms, pool, cr?che, cycle parking, disabled access, membership and environmental green issues. All of these points and more have been responded to in the report.

As a result of this consultation report and meetings with stakeholders the council will host an exhibition at Dulwich Leisure Centre on Saturday November 24 from 2 to 4pm. Here you will see conceptual designs of the new refurbishment along with proposed outlines of details to be included. Tea and coffee will be provided and you and your family are most welcome to come along.

Southwark Council is committed to providing top class swimming and leisure facilities to all residents and users in the borough, and is making this investment for the wellbeing of its users now and for years to come.

I look forward to seeing you at the exhibition meeting in November.

Yours sincerely

Councillor Lorraine Zuleta

Executive Member for Culture, Leisure & Sports

This is highly entertaining.

East Dulwich argues over whether to have an M&S or Cafe Nero and when the Council gives you all a full refurb of the Leisure Centre, you act miserable.

Did you realise in the full Leisure battle the folks of Camberwell had to march in the streets in hopes of getting 20% of the budget you all are getting? Poor Camberwell sits in the shadows of millions pumped in all around them and get the least of any Leisure Centre. You all, thanks to having Lib Dems hell bent on punishing Labour in Camberwell, get a full monty. And your response: 'oh...alright...will it inconvenience us?...'

I'm not complaining. I honestly just find it delightfully humourous.

Hurrumph!

I use the Leisure Centre regularly and find it very acceptable. I pay ?40 a month for the pool and gym which is a bargain.

For ?40 I dont expect glittering perfection - but I wouldnt pay ?40 a week for some posh place where I will be doing exactly the same thing - sweating my 'nads off.

TVs are back by the way and they now have personal trainers availabe.

So ED_Pete we can have our say as long as it is a passive acceptance of our 5.5million being spent on a leisure center. I think we are entitled to ask why when how, even though we really no the answer. I use the gym all the time so obviously I benefit, the pool is rubbish so it would be a great thing to get it sorted out. It would be nice to get some decent free weights and benches as well some of us have been asking since about 2002 ! I had better weights in HMP