second baby early/late - one very unscientific research

millsa

I have been told many times by midwives/other mums that my second baby will be late because my first one was 10 days late. Obviously there is no proof to such comments and they come when they are raedy, however I wonder what forumites' experience has been so far? Let's have a very inscientific survey here please, just out of curiosity. I am due in 5 days and it might help me prepare for another 15 days of having a big bump!

Was your first baby early/on time/late - and how many days?

was your second baby early/on time/late - and how many days?

was your third......

Thanks!

There has been some research that says firat babies are 8 days late, on average, and subsequent babies, 3 days late.

http://www.faqs.org/abstracts/Health/The-length-of-uncomplicated-human-gestation-Adverse-infant-outcomes-associated-with-first-trimester-.html

To understand the calculations, the normAL 40 wk gestation equates to 266 days - that's 8 days shorter than the 274 for first time mothers, and 3 less than the 269 for later pregnancies

first: 10 days late

second: bang on due date

third: 10 days early

fourth: 8 days late (go figure).

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the research on which the 'average gestation cycle for women in the UK' was based was very small scale (about 74 women?), in Norfolk - or Lincolnshire, a long time ago (50's or 60's?) and never intended as to be used in the way it has been. Wish I could recall where I read that.

sillywoman Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think that link's been proved Molly. Certainly I

> always mention it to my classes when I talk about

> induction dates, also relevant is if you have a

> family history of significantly late/early babies

> (i.e. your Mum, Granny, sister(s), cousins,

> auntie's etc.etc.).

Oh, that's interesting. I've mentioned it to the odd midwife and they've never said anything, though agreed it made sense. Having said that, I still wouldn't want to bet too much money on when I reckon any said baby is likely to arrive!

1st was 8 days late

2nd was 8days late, but midwife thought 1day late, as decided to give false date of last period after what i felt to be unnecessary panic about time. Did this with all next births.

3rd was 15days late

4th was7days late

5th was on date, midwife thought 1 week early.

sillywoman Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think that link's been proved Molly. Certainly I

> always mention it to my classes when I talk about

> induction dates, also relevant is if you have a

> family history of significantly late/early babies

> (i.e. your Mum, Granny, sister(s), cousins,

> auntie's etc.etc.).

Yes, it's true!

First one 20 days late. (5 days spent in labour but thats another story)

Second one 17 days late. Both times I was hanging out for home birth and ended up being induced hence length of lateness. I was told that lateness can be linked to length of cycle, ie mine is normally 32 days not 28, therfore I always late! Which is funny because I hate being late for things generally and tend to be too early....! Good luck - late means you are really ready to go but that you have often eaten all your hospital snacks that you packed three times over :-$

no pattern, as I thought... But thanks for all answers, I enjoyed reading them.

craigy, my first one was 9 pounds and I am tiny, but he was still 10 days late! my cycle is short, but he was late. and as for family history, my mum had to be induced with me at 42 weeks but my brother came naturally at 38, so even more confusion here!

:)

I am also strictly 28 day cycle, mother had all her children almost dead on due date and both mine were over 9lbs. It was the 10lb baby that was about 16 days late. Definitely don't think there is much of a science to it although I was part of a study on length of cervix - were they looking at an indicator for this?

Have had contact with many pregnant women through work and met one who was induced at 42 wks for her 1st 5 children and then spontaneous labour at 39 wks for her 6th..

And another with 8 children who went 10 to 12 days over with all of them..

Really is no logic to it I gues..