The East Dulwich feel..

Tonyotonyo

Tonyotonyo Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The worst area of them all is ponders end/Edmonton

> green. It's just beyond any horrible descriptive

> adjective.

It's not that bad, really. There are worse places in the world.

Welcome to the neighbourhood.

Cant understand why the place is so much more affordable than say, Muswell Hill, Crouch end etc because its style and Chic are pretty much beyond them both.

It's South of the river. Taxi's don't come here, neither do the tubes. Neither, thank god, do people, generally, from North of the river, because of what they have heard.

Do you realise how much of a bunch of tossers you all sound?

'Style and chic', 'channel four documentaries'!!??

The original poster has moved to overhill road. Correct me if i am wrong but does'nt it have a couple of 'chic and stylish' tower blocks at the top end?

We 're talking about a middle of the road, monolithic south london suburb for christ's sake! Lordship lane is more likely to be featured on booze britain the way things seem to be going.

Great transport links?! Well forest hill station isn't even in east dulwich. Its a good 20 mins to get there once uve faffed around waiting for a bus from lordship lane.

Spending 40 mins on a bus to travel all of 6 miles to covent garden is my idea of hell. Apart from london bridge there is nowhere decent you can get to in less than half an hour, for an area that is barely 5 miles from the city centre that is piss poor.

Expat. "lots of people of tried" comment hasn't had enough love. Come on people it's genius

As for taxis back.. It's not as bad as some people describe but it has happened more often than I'd like. I've had black an drivers turn us down (all same lie ie shift finishing) at heathrow only for us to say central london and be accepted.

As the person who started the taxi-driver hare - I should point out that I was commenting on perceptions which might create a price differential between apparently similar housing north and south of the river. In fact, my own experence of whether drivers are prepared to go South of the river are as mixed as anyones - it does help to say, vaguely, 'Camberwell', (or even 'Vauxhall') and then just direct from there. Although there is no tube, taking a train into central london from ED (granted there are fewer of them) is actually much quicker than travelling the equivalent distance by tube 'up north'. But perceptions place us as a transport black spot. And that does impact housing prices.

I chose to end the conversation as it was on the journey to know-where constructive. Monolithic to me, means a huge single momument built out of stone/rock. Which to me isn't very East Dulwich?? Maybe you live in a different area to me. If I offended you with that last post due to its patronizing nature I apologise. However, as you haven'y been the most 'welcoming' type to grace this forum I suppose I shouldn't be apologising that much. I think you indirectly called me a tosser on your first post...

Anyway shall we sweep this under the rug and forget about it? As I am not on here to waste my time arguing about trivial matters.

No Worries, regarding the football, I can whole-heartedly recomment the Crystal Palace Tavern. The back room has a classic old-school pub feel, nice big screen and generally not too many people to block your view / nick all your seats. Nice pint of Spitfire as well.

I can generally be found there whenever my beloved Man Utd are playing, however not wearing an 'Eater81' t-shirt for fear of being lynched by the East Dulwich Massive.... perhaps I should get a Man U shirt made with:

EATER

on the back!

Welcome to ED Tonyo. I too can vouch for the CPT. Nice no frills pub.

I haven't been yet but I think The Actress, formerly The Uplands, which has just opened on the top of Northcross Road also shows the football. There is also the East Dulwich Tavern but that can get pretty busy. I've not heard anything anti-Manchester myself. The majority of people support Chelsea I find.

Other things I would recommend, The Mag is a nice place for food, if you're a tennis fan there is a good friendly club at the bottom of Lordship Lane opposite The Harvester, and finally South East Cars (020 7732 0033) are the best taxi firm in the area. ?16 from ED to Liverpool Street... Bargain.