The East Dulwich feel..

Tonyotonyo

I have lived here fours years after a year or so in Balham and think it is a great place to live, sure a tube line would be good but its only 10 mins to London Bridge. There are loads of good restaurants and pubs and I have never had a problem getting a taxi back at night, even though I have many times from way out Shepherds Bush way which is a black cab most of the time.

Especially good for foodies round here with delis, good food shops, hog roast on a Saturday, excellent fish man, butchers....

do any man u fans come from manchester? then again who cares. i don't think ED is huge on football but much like anywhere you will find plenty of plastic manure and chelsea glory hunters.

Tonyotonyo Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Ah I see. Well You know what they say.. All Man U

> fans don't come from Manchester. I might just get

> Sky as sometimes I cannot be arsed getting up

> early on a Sat/Sun day off to walk down to the

> pub. I would rather Lounge around my front room...

AD Wrote:

>

> Especially good for foodies round here with delis,

> good food shops, hog roast on a Saturday,

> excellent fish man, butchers....

xxxxxxx

Is it just me who thinks the rolls the hog roast is served in are absolute s***e?

I never buy it any more because I think the rolls are vile.

Love the "hog rast" ad on their blackboard, though :))

Lordship Lane in automatically one of the nicest roads in South London to be around, Esp at night.

Here is where I have to disagree.

ED is a nice place to live, and has a bar to cater for all tastes. (CPT is my favourite, but given the fact you think LL is great at night, I suspect it may not be your bag)

Parks are quite nice, if somewhat uninspired.

Transport links are sh!t though, and there are too many sheep walking up and down the street day and night.

• 2 weeks later...

thebestnameshavegone Wrote:

> Welcome to the area.

>

> Tip: Try 'Lavender' on Northcross Road for a

> caramel rooibos that's to die for. 'Sens

> d'irr?alisable' at the top of the Lane does the

> best foraged porcini and cupcakes in the area, and

> The Gowlett is a great place to leave your kids to

> run around while you have a quiet afternoon at

> home in the garden.

xxxxxx

OP, just ignore this post :)

ETA: That's the above post, not mine, obviously :))

Curmudgeon Wrote:

> If you like the view from Overhill and live on Goodrich Road head up Donkey Alley and check out

> the view from the field in front of the large block of flats (it's common land)

>

> Best view in London!

I walked up there this afternoon, for the first time ever. It's certainly a good view. It's a lot more panoramic than what you can see from Horniman Gardens. Must take my binoculars next time. Anyone know what the metal hoop-like structure is, about 5 degrees east of, and a bit beyond, Battersea Power Station?

The birds seem to like it up there too; lots of gliding going on.

methinks easter81 should move away. he/she/it obviously hates east dulwich and would clearly feel happier elsewhere. we have lived here since 1988... when it really was a bit rubbish, but we thought it would come up and it has. LL is the finest little shopping street in london. if we ever for a moment consider moving, we always ask ourselves "does the new place have a lordship lane." the answer is no, so we stay. we probably won't ever move now. of course, we still don't have the tube (in spite of promises from tfl), but honour oak park is only up the road with its links to docklands and the west end.

Funny you say that: We moved (back) here from Clapham because we felt it more mum friendly.

Or is this just conflicting definitions of "Yummy Mummy"?

My wife is about to become a Mummy. And she's definitely Yummy. So she'll be a Yummy Mummy to me :-$

In Clapham we were in Abbeville Village, which was populated by mums with lots of money/designer buggies/porsche cayennes etc.

They were just 'Lucky Mummies' to me, (although some were also 'Yummy' looking but don't let my wife hear me say that)

nancyse15 Wrote:

> I just hope it doesn't go too far and go all

> Clapham... I love the fact there is still a wide

> variety of people - not just yummy mummies,

> although they do seem to be multiplying. I live in

> Peckham so I do enjoy escaping to LL for a good

> coffee.

Think 23e Heure's point is a really good one - bits of Clapham have become the overspill of Wimbledon or Richmond or Highgate - people with serious amounts of money. There's lots to parody in ED - and lots to love - but it's not got much of that kind of wealth and therefore that kind of inequality and that's one of the things I like about it. I also like that it's not just a pocket, that there's Honor Oak and Forest Hill and Crystal Palace and Nunhead and Peckham too, none of which are no-go areas. The views and amount of green space are also truly amazing - do the new Green Chain walk from Nunhead to C Palace.

Medley Wrote:

> Think 23e Heure's point is a really good one -

> bits of Clapham have become the overspill of

> Wimbledon or Richmond or Highgate - people with

> serious amounts of money. There's lots to parody

> in ED - and lots to love - but it's not got much

> of that kind of wealth and therefore that kind of

> inequality and that's one of the things I like

> about it.

Well put. It's not so much wealth as the ostentatious displays of it which ED is relatively free of, and one of the reasons I like it so much.