burglaries in Forest Hill/East Dulwich areas

concita

I've not heard from anyone in the country who has been burgled (including me) who hasn't been told by the local police that there has been a "spate" of burglaries lately and teh area is being targetted

Like you I was burgled not long after moving to this country (albeit 20+ years ago) and figured I'd walked into some crime-ridden nightmare. Before the burglary I was not aware of any crime. Afterwards I saw it everywhere - it was ME that had changed not the area

Given how many people on here have been affected depsite having good security-measures I;m not sure what good the thread does. I know it has made me more paranoid - but how is that useful? I can't keep putting bigger and bigger locks on the door or never go to sleep

All that said, we could well be at the beginning of an upsurge in burglary numbers - it does tend to correlate to recessionary times. Or it may be that there is a particular crew in operation at the moment. I?m not saying it definitely isn?t true. I?m just saying people who have recently been affected by crime tend to see the world differently. It?s horrible to go through

But even if it is on the rise, I?m not sure anything mentioned will prove of any practical benefit. I?m not saying don?t talk about it if you must ? but there is another side to the story and it can distort reality. It?s like reading ONLY the South London press ? it?s not that it?s not real, it just lacks any perspective and makes the reader a more paranoid, fearful person. Some caution and awareness is a good thing ? but it can gather it?s own momentum

huncamunca Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> you think that the

> Greed/selfishness etc are in no way related to our

> bling mindset ?

It probably is a factor, but I don't think it's the main one - there are too many counterexamples. Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore... very materialistic societies, our "bling mindset" doesn't begin to compare. But burglary - and crime in general - are lower.

Finland and Denmark have even higher burglary rates than us.

James Barber Wrote:

> Hi helena handbasket,

> Roughly where do you and your neighbours live that

> were burgled?

>

> Hi sb,

> This thread should perhaps be retitled "burglaries

> in Forst Hill/East Dulwich areas/Bellenden/Peckham

> Rye /South Camberwell with bits of Dulwich

> Village" because roughly that's the areas posted

> about. Such an area has about 50,000 homes with

> 80,000 residents.

Don't forget Upper and West Norwood etc.! There are people from Crystal Palace etc. also posting on here ;-) (and College ward stretches almost to the Transmitter).

The only reson why I wrote about my experience was to make people aware that there is either an international ring operating in the area or local opportunists, going around our roads and therefore to be vigilant, not paranoid. Don't think, it will never happen to me, because it can, whether you live in a council estate or in a wealthy road. If my neighbours called the police straight away that day, the burglars would have now been arrested. If you notice people selling stolen goods in pubs, markets, outside supermarkets, remember you can use the anonymous crimestoppers line to report them.

Concita,

You don't know that the burglars would have been arrested if your neighbours had called the police because you don't know how long they would have taken to get there. It sounds like you are doing your best to have an 'if only' scenario which can't be good for your emotional state of mind. I've been burgled twice, but not in this area so I know how you feel.

James Barber Wrote:

> Hi helena handbasket,

> Roughly where do you and your neighbours live that

> were burgled?

>

> Hi sb,

> This thread should perhaps be retitled "burglaries

> in Forst Hill/East Dulwich areas/Bellenden/Peckham

> Rye /South Camberwell with bits of Dulwich

> Village" because roughly that's the areas posted

> about. Such an area has about 50,000 homes with

> 80,000 residents.

We were near Goose Green. It was a couple of years ago. I think it's odd to suggest that people shouldn't talk about it. If I had known, I would have done things differently, like have our locks changed immediately, install a London bar, and most importantly, not have our infant son's bedroom at the top of the stairs and ours further up where we couldn't hear anything. Of course it changes you; that's why people are affected and talking about it and needing to say "it happens!". You don't know if it's random or if it's the fellow that walked by the other day and was, in hindsight, a bit friendly. Or is the fellow down the road who has been very welcoming and chatty but was actually just sniffing out your situation? Of course it's nice to be a bit naive and friendly, as I was before, but seriously one needs some smarts about it and there are plenty of habits one does in South London that you may think are the same everywhere but they are not.

Read the old thread about how to keep your kid from getting mugged on the way home from school. It's a bit of an eye opener.

>spelling edit<

I understand what you mean. However, I must say that on another occasion, when my husband and I were attacked outside our home in the drive by "hoodies" (who tried to steal our car and stab my husband), the police came in less than 5 minutes and were very good with us. Neighbours who heard me screaming out of my mind, came to our help and the "hoodies" ran away. When we were burgled recently, my neighbours who saw the broken window from his garden, said that when they called the police, they had an immediate response.

Concita,

Yikes, a drive by stealing and stabbing - that is terrible. I think the screaming you did contributed to the police coming fast. Re the burglary, by the time your neighbour saw the broken window they had probably been in and out of your house. Was it you who said that another neighbour hadn't seen a broken fence panel when the alarm went off? A lot will obviously depend on how far away they are, and what else they are attending to. I don't think burglaries come high up on their list of crimes, especially if the alarm isn't hooked up to the station.

We do need to report each case to police, but also to the community where we live in. We do need to say this is what has happened to me today because tomorrow it can happen to you too. Be vigilant. Don't leave things around the house, ie car keys, house keys and valuables, especially near your bedside table. If you go away, be careful where you park at airports. A neighbour went away for a week, parked his car at Stanstead airport and on his return found his house broken into. Coincidence or a ring of international criminals getting information on passengers, from dishonest employees at these airport car parking places? Or a gang of criminals in the area watching you at all time? I wish google street view could be useful in this respect!

Yes they were, they helped themselves to a lot of stuff, including a piece of the side table where things were locked in We searched all over ED and Forest Hill to find that piece of furniture without success.

Unfortunately the neighbours due to some plants on the pation in front of the broken panel, and the light on the day, they could not see the broken glass panel. It was a well done job.

This is from the police website: Obviously does not count what happened in the surrounding wards.

Crime Mapping text view: Total notifiable offences, September 2010

You are in > London > Southwark > East Dulwich

Sub-wards in East Dulwich

Sub-ward Crime count Crime rate

E01003952 12 7.94

E01003953 17 9.78

E01003954 3 2.08

E01003955 3 1.94

E01003956 5 3.29

E01003957 4 2.59

E01003958 15 9.76

Nearby wards

Ward Crime count Crime rate

College 86 8.35

East Dulwich 59 5.44

Forest Hill 98 6.98

Peckham Rye 93 8.27

South Camberwell 84 7.44

The Lane 232 19.38

Village 76 7.25

Crimes in East Dulwich

Crime type Crime count Crime rate

Total notifiable offences 59 5.44

Residential burglary 10 0.92

Burglary other 4 0.37

Theft of motor vehicle 0 0.00

Robbery business 0 0.00

Robbery personal 2 0.18

Violence against the person 10 0.92

Most serious violence 0 0.00

Anti-social behaviour 22 2.03

Last three months trend

Area July August September

East Dulwich 66 78 59

Southwark 3388 3275 3027

MPS 73433 67705 68671

Annual crime count

Area 2007/08 2008/09 2009/10

East Dulwich 903 962 903

Southwark 40068 39270 37048

MPS 862866 845036 829406

House in Oglander Road burgled last night as occupants were asleep. I think I'm going to do a few all-night vigils, in the absence of the local plod doing anything so pro-active. Although, to be fair, a few years ago they always came within 5 minutes of being called when we had a spate of crooks calling late at night with elaborate excuses as to why they needed money. One lovely man was found by the police, who turned up so fast they actually caught him, to be carrying a knife! I know I'm only saying this as it's now on my patch, but things are getting ridiculous. It does look like it's one highly 'professional' gang involved.

I have checked other neighbour websites and they are all reporting crimes. We just have to be on the alert continuously, especially now that we are going to celebrate the 5th Nov with fireworks. We are out, they are in.

It is also interesting to read the booklet issued by police on burglary prevention. There are good advices, however, we did almost everything listed in that booklet, plus we recommended our neighbours to keep an eye.

This chain is becoming a little bit OTT I feel. It is a terrifying, horrible thing to happen. I understand its awful to be burgled. It happened to me last year. However, we live in London where the crime rate is, unfortunately, higher than a lot of other places. Its awful, but life goes on, and we need to stop living in fear. Take the practical measures and be vigilent. There are people in this world that do horrible things but this thread is not going to stop that, and it doesnt help reading about it every day.

Its on forums like this that everyone suddenly thinks that the crime rate is sky high. In other areas people dont hear about break ins happening every day, but no doubt they are.

Its good that people want to do things to help, but this chain isnt doing that. It is panicking people.

I am sorry if it is becoming boring for you. You don't have to read it if you wish. You can talk about something else any time. Some forums have a dedicated crime cascade section where all the crimes in a particular area are reported. People take then the issues up with police at the local meetings.

I didnt say it was boring. I was clearly just saying that it is starting to become a little bit terrifying for those who read it. Its not just a report on what crime has occured, it is all the commentry that goes with it. When I first moved I got burgled within 2 months of living in ED. Reading things like this make out that it is a scary, awful place to live, when in fact it's the opposite.

No place is scaring to live in because of burglars. I have lived in the area for 32 years. It is a beautiful area, with many parks and historical roads. However you have to remember that there is also crime going on and if is going up, we have to tackle it somehow.

But tackle it how....

There have always been professional house burglars. It's nothing new. Beyond a good alarm, the only way to catch them is with CCTV....so put that up. And all that nonsense about it not being legal to put up CCTV on your property is indeed nonsense. You are allowed to put up a camera on your poroperty.......until a court tells you otherwise. Section 36 of the DPA states that personal data ? including video footage of an individual ? captured only for limited domestic purposes is not covered by the restrictions of the DPA.

well hello happyhelen

I like the cut of your jib

Basically if anyone WANTS to obsessively track burglaries in London they can, and good luck to them. They will find that burglary rates in major cities are huge. And even then sometimes they spike.

Some of those have known this from the year we moved here. Jumping up and down going "we have to do something" isn't actually the same is achieving anything. And I say this as someone who has been burgled and will be burgled again. Possibly tonight

Im not happy about it. But I'm not oblivious to it's existence either

Yesterday i was in my garden hanging laundry and saw women in the back garden BTW my garden in border with Wild Life Gardens. I always live my garden door open for fresh air but this looked like she can just claim over and get to my house in no time :( not just my house but lots other neighbouring houses as well. Could that be a loose hole where this bast***** coming from. My husband is so worried he doesnt sleep at night any more :((((

Regards Dee.

Not in my Garden in WLGs behind my fences, we have regular size fences and i never saw someone so close in the gardens bcos its looks like a jungle and im sure its a pond right behind the fences. Anyway we had locksmith today for back garden door. Still dont feel safe in my own home, thats sad bit.

Dee.