Cat on Grove Hill Road

phili

cate Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sounds like the cat was hit by a car and then

> managed to reach the pavement before he/she died.

Yup, well spotted Holmes... :-$

DJKillaQueen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We are talking about someone's much loved pet

> here. Someone who will be worried sick wondering

> where their cat is.

>

> Personally I would have bagged it and taken it to

> a local vet. They would check for a chip and then

> freeze the body until the owner decided what they

> wanted to do. If there were no chip then all vets

> use a general cremation service for disposal of

> animals respectfully.

Totally agree!

I'd love to see somebody turn up at the vets with a dead cat in a bin bag. Vet gets out his stethosope (right spelling? don't care), "yeh, its dead, that'll be ?30 please."

I've actually had to dispose of a few dead cats in my time. Ended up slinging them in some bushes by the railway line near my house.

It's cat country on my side of the park...more cats than foxes.

It's three cats in 20 years though. I found two that had been run over at different times, and one that I think had just died from old age. Cats will sometimes go and find somewhere secluded to die. On all occasions I took the bodies to the nearest vet and in two cases the cats were chipped. The owners, although upset, were grateful they had the opportunity to bury/ cremate their pets, instead of them ending up in a council incinerator somewhere.

I had one of my own cats die form a heart attack suddenly in the middle of the night once as well. By the time I got to the emrgency vet, she had died. That vet would normally have charged ?125 for the emergency out of hours service, but she didn't charge anything either. Most vets, in that situation, are pretty decent.

Whenever i find a dead cat, i take it to a vet (thankfully i work in one!!). I would also put a notice up saying something like 'would the owner of tabby/ginger cat please contact ... where we have some sad news for you'. I think its much better to know that your cat has died rather than frantically worry and search for it.

I've often seen a combination of fox and cat in the garden, they appear to completely ignore each other. A healthy cat should be more than a match for a fox, it has the advantage of super sharp claws with which to strike from a longer range.

I've also seen a snarling dog charge a cat only to end up turning tail in the opposite direction, yipping with a blooded nose.

On the other hand, an old creaky cat is much more vulnerable.

Whilst it is true that foxes, in general, don't attack healthy cats, they will kill kittens and attack old, sick cats. However, i have to admit that there are now 'rogue' foxes that will attack any cat. We recently had a young, previously healthy cat brought into our clinic that had been dragged over walls by a fox - it had been seen by a householder who eventually managed to get the cat.

Thanks, all, for this thread. I shouldn't have had the nous to do what DJKQ recommended. But, putting myself in the shoes of the person whose companion cat never came home that morning... of course DJKQ is correct.

Mike the Wonder Cat, by the way, who has us under her soft but inexorable grey paw, doesn't go outside. Ever. (Of course she could. This is HER house, and she has perfect freedom. She simply prefers not to.) Yes, we endure the corvee of the litterbox. A small matter, however, if indeed by staying indoors she is likely to live twice as long as her "free-range" sistern.