East Dulwich Needs You! Looking for proactive & talented people to join a community initiative

rigbydan

Now community and business are interchangeable terms I see. This is a rather misleading post I feel. Will the NCR and local businesses be contributing any additional funding to this project? they do seem to be the immediate beneficiaries.

Hello Dan

Gave you seen this post http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?20,1787736

Might be something you can put a bid in for to do some sort of recycling project, maybe linked to waste from the market or shops

Always worth a punt

Plus when cleaner greener safer funds are announced its always worth putting a bid in for them as well

Thanks this is great, will certainly keep in mind. Maybe this project will lead to other cross community collaboration, so that when such opportunities become available or when people find something that they feel will benefit the area (like recycling programmes, extra dog waste bins, toilet access initiatives and others mentioned in the thread), there is a pool of proactive people willing to work together to achieve them.

TheArtfulDogger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hello Dan

>

> Gave you seen this post

> http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?2

> 0,1787736

>

> Might be something you can put a bid in for to do

> some sort of recycling project, maybe linked to

> waste from the market or shops

>

> Always worth a punt

>

> Plus when cleaner greener safer funds are

> announced its always worth putting a bid in for

> them as well

Southwark are facing a ?15 million overspend on their social care budget alone, having used up all their surplus, offsetting central government cuts of 40% over the past few years. That is why many council services have been cut back. It does seem rather odd that money is available for lamp post banners and the like.

"Are you saying there is money available to remove perfectly adequate street lights and replace them with new ones that can handle a flapping banner?

That's nuts.

How much is a new street light? How much to lift out the old and replace with a new? How much to throw away (a perfectly good) old light?

We are truly through the looking glass." Steveo - I'm with you there .

And as for JB's resonse that the lamposts are re used and it's "only the marginal cost" of moving the lamp post - well ,I'm speechless .

alice Wrote:

> agreed, surely there must be a procedure to un

> ringfence funds. CGS is not statutory.

This does not seem to be money from the "CGS" budget.

It seems to be money from the High Street Challenge Fund.

Mr Barber will be able to clarify this and also tell us how much money has been awarded to this initiative.

geobz Wrote:

> taper Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > The budget for CGS is ring-fenced and can't be

> > shifted into social care budgets.

>

> You prolly work for the Council.

None of your business. Although I don't. It appears it's not CGS anyway. In which case the money should be going towards finding a cure for cancer.

The sticker thing re toilets - I believe was launched by Southwark some years ago - not sure whether it got off the ground.

A number of pubs and cafes clearly state that the use of toilets are for customers only. Also in some cafes, you need to be able to access stairs/steps to get to loos, not ideal for those with mobility difficulties or with young children in tow.

James Barber Wrote:

> They get re used somewhere else. So it is solely

> the marginal cost to swap lamp posts if needed.

That's the most stupid statement I've seen in ages, and from a councillor too! Southwark Council must think monet grows on trees, or lamp posts.

It's just like Milton Friedman said aboutthe four ways to spned money....

?There are four ways in which you can spend money. You can spend your own money on yourself. When you do that, why then you really watch out what you?re doing, and you try to get the most for your money.

Then you can spend your own money on somebody else. For example, I buy a birthday present for someone. Well, then I?m not so careful about the content of the present, but I?m very careful about the cost.

Then, I can spend somebody else?s money on myself. And if I spend somebody else?s money on myself, then I?m sure going to have a good lunch!

Finally, I can spend somebody else?s money on somebody else. And if I spend somebody else?s money on somebody else, I?m not concerned about how much it is, and I?m not concerned about what I get. And that?s government.

Hi, here is not the time or place to go in to particulars, though I?m sure it?s all in the public domain anyway. The initiative will be funded by HSC and other sources but the project has not even kicked off yet so all to be agreed as it develops. The aim of this thread was to recruit interested parties, which it has, so I am now going to bow out. If anyone want to get involved then please email and I?ll try and get everyone together as soon as possible.

TE44 Wrote:

> Hi rigbydan, can you tell us how much funding was

> been given.Thanks.

Thanks goose green,wow thats a lot of money, the above post by rigbydan seems to be saying it is not actually agreed on yet.

rigbydan I know you said you are bowing out,

But as this is a community enterprise can

you point me to the public domain where I can find

the particulars. I take it the community on this

forum will not be getting kept up to date on

the particulars.

You can read all about the High Street Challenge here:-

http://www.2.southwark.gov.uk/info/100002/business/3381/the_high_street_challenge

There's a link in the section What's It All About that lists all the current winners along with a description of what the award covers. East Dulwich Traders was awarded funding for:-

"Creating a locally owned brand for East Dulwich by installing 35 lamp post banners and a map of the local area. This activity hopes to promote the North Cross Rd market extension (results of market extension consultation due in February 2017)."

And, yes, Love West Dulwich was awarded HSC funding for:-

"Creating a sense of identity for the West Dulwich area that will help promote the local high street to residents. Bringing residents and businesses together to design lamp post banners in the shopping parade areas of West Dulwich."

edhistory Wrote:

> What is the "HSC" that is providing funds?

>

> Is this the Southwark Budget funding the West

> Dulwich lamppost banners?

>

> http://dulwichfestival.co.uk/love-west-dulwich-lam

> p-post-art-banner-competition/

There's a Love West Dulwich grant Community Council Neighbourhood Fund grant described in the Appendix to http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/ieDecisionDetails.aspx?ID=5730. It looks as if it could be the banner one. http://www.westdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?4,19846

"558022 Love West Dulwich

West Dulwich Neighbourhood Branding Project

To create a more cohesive sense of identity and belonging for the community of West Dulwich.To clearly identify the area that is known as West Dulwich for both residents, retailers and passers by.To enable residents, business and the overall community to get a greater ownership of the area they live in and work in.To drive the local economy to help provide jobs locally and invoking civic pride.To work with Dulwich Open Houses to identify local artists to produce the designs for the banners, thereby providing further employment.

?22,240"

rigbydan Wrote:

> Hi, here is not the time or place to go in to

> particulars, though I?m sure it?s all in the

> public domain anyway. The initiative will be

> funded by HSC and other sources but the project

> has not even kicked off yet so all to be agreed as

> it develops.

You don't want to go into the particulars even though you've been awarded ?21,415! In effect you are saying that you work out as you go along!

It's one hell of an indictment on how local government hands out cash.

I would also ask...

When can we see the cost-benefit analysis to justify this expenditure?

Who makes the decisions on expenditure?

Who is the treasurer of the project?

Who will do the audit when the funds are all spent?

When will the invoices and other expenditure details be published?

As an owner of three local retail businessses, how much are you chipping in to supplement the ?21,415 given that you will be a major beneficiary?

rigbydan Wrote:

> Hi, here is not the time or place to go in to

> particulars, though I?m sure it?s all in the

> public domain anyway. The initiative will be

> funded by HSC and other sources but the project

> has not even kicked off yet so all to be agreed as

> it develops. The aim of this thread was to recruit

> interested parties, which it has, so I am now

> going to bow out. If anyone want to get involved

> then please email and I?ll try and get everyone

> together as soon as possible.

>

> TE44 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Hi rigbydan, can you tell us how much funding

> was

> > been given.Thanks.

It is the time and the place to comment. Thank you for bringing this into our attention : how the Council throws ?21k out of the window, while cutting off much needed services!