East Dulwich Needs You! Looking for proactive & talented people to join a community initiative

rigbydan

And if James and the OP can stop slapping each other on the back for a minute they might hear that banners are not wanted .

"by rigbydan February 16, 11:41AM

Thanks James, sure we'll be in touch as things get moving.

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> This has been done really well in Herne Hill.

> Great idea.

> We tried doing this on Lordship Lane a few years

> back but the lampposts weren't structurally able

> to take the extra wind load factor. If the odd

> lamppost needs replacing we'll find some other

> funding to do that aspect to help.

>

> IF you need any help please just ask either myself

> or Rosie."

If the odd

> lamppost needs replacing we'll find some other

> funding to do that aspect to help

Is that how it works ? Never mind what a few people think ,you and I think it's a good idea so we'll just find some funding to carry out our plans ?

I think if my forecourt and the front of my house were smartened up it would enhance the community and act as a spur for others to do the same .Could you find some funding for this please ?

TheArtfulDogger Wrote:

>

> I don't think that was what Dan was saying

> Angelina, I believe he was saying that he raised a

> request for volunteers

I didn't notice a request for volunteers. Just 'proactive & talented people' who, presumably, don't do work for nothing. Otherwise there'd not be a need for funding.

I may have misunderstood. Perhaps 'proactive & talented' is a shorthand for unpaid workers, with the funding retained to cover all the essential 'project management' and the wages of those who, without a shred of community spirit, have the nerve to charge for the apparently simple job of replacing a few lamp-posts.

That would make a bit of sense. Not everyone can manage a project or dig up a lamp-post but, thanks to the knowledge economy turning out to be abjectly suitable for outsourcing, decent designers, marketers, programmers and copywriters can be found on every street corner, simply begging for work, regardless of whether there's any money in it. While such people exist in our community, it would a shame to waste the opportunity to exploit them, if only because they'll be priced out of the area before we know it.

Jess85 Wrote:

> Will the names of any of the business involved

> feature anywhere on the banners? Can we have an

> example of some of the ideas received so far, what

> is going to be on them?

I think it's all agreed, the banners died a death a long time ago.

It concerns me that claims of benefit to the wider community are being thrown about. This seems to be a baseless sop to make it more palatable to SE22 residents, though no doubt I will be corrected on this. I am sure that enthusiastic local businesses could get their own campaign and funding together for such an initiative if they were genuinely interested in the project. Then there would be no need to get into the quagmire of Council funding.

"Businesses and community groups that have business support can apply for a share of a ?600k fund that has been set aside to increase footfall to our local shopping streets, and help local businesses compete with popular shopping destinations such as the West End, and out of town shopping malls...

"The main aim of the High Street Challenge is to attract more people to Southwark's high streets and town centres, and to increase the amount that those shoppers spend." -- Web announcement 3/2/14: http://www.2.southwark.gov.uk/news/article/1570/southwark_council_offers_funding_to_local_high_streets_that_rise_to_the_challenge

For Feb. 2015 mini-surveys of footfall, etc, see the commissioned High Street Reports at http://www.2.southwark.gov.uk/info/100002/business/3951/high_street_research_reports

I walked from home to Brixton Tube yesterday and saw the banners that have been produced for Herne Hill (along the 37 route, past the lido), and I have to say I quite liked them. They were uniform in style, seemed to be pretty robust, and displayed local attractions/aspects of history, etc. The style was a bit hackneyed for me (Art Deco-update/pastel colours/lino cut) but there were enough of them to create an impact and they were interesting, not badly distracting.

Whether or not they should be in place on the narrower street of Lordship Lane, which is already feeling a bit closed in and narrow in comparison, is a question worth asking often.

Wha about encouraging the people behind that amazing useless vanity project the Garden Bridge to build the bridge over North Cross Road instead of over the Thames. An even better and more significant waste of public money that would knock the lamppost banner idea for six.

Like the OP I will bow out of this thread-the giveaway for me was the marshalling of Reinforcement:talented & proactive with the Charitable:Community initiative triggers in the title. When someone pats you on the back and asks if you want to do something for the community, you should really question the motivation. ISIS have achieved a great deal using the same approach.

Yes!

Agree with Nigello. The Herne Hill banners look quite attractive. I think one of the ideas for the ED ones (should they happen) is that they showcase local artists, which seems quite a nice idea...

Could the money be better spent on social care/filling in potholes/mending pavements etc......Yes!

Although, could the same argument then apply to any 'non-essential' (in itself, subjective) government or council spending? E.g. art galleries and firework displays (to give two random examples)...

I doubt we get any say in the matter, but admire anyone up for trying...

cordsm Wrote:

> Yes!

>

> Agree with Nigello. The Herne Hill banners look

> quite attractive. I think one of the ideas for the

> ED ones (should they happen) is that they showcase

> local artists, which seems quite a nice idea...

>

> Could the money be better spent on social

> care/filling in potholes/mending pavements

> etc......Yes!

>

> Although, could the same argument then apply to

> any 'non-essential' (in itself, subjective)

> government or council spending? E.g. art galleries

> and firework displays (to give two random

> examples)...

>

> I doubt we get any say in the matter, but admire

> anyone up for trying...

But art galleries and fireworks are for the wider community, What benefit does this scheme offer the wider community?

Scruffy Mummy Wrote:

> I have absolutely nothing to do with this

> initiative but well done to all who are involved.

> It's not easy to try and do something to improve

> our local area. I wonder how many people

> criticising here actually get up off their back

> sides and do anything locally at all which might

> improve the area? I've been involved as a

> fundraiser for charities and as a volunteer for

> causes dear to my heart. So I do know something

> about how these funding programmes are structured.

>

>

> There are many, many small pots of money for very

> specific initiatives. Often they are government

> initiatives that are then delegated to local

> councils - this is what this pot of funding

> appears to be although I'm not an expert.

> Relatively small grants like this are for ideas

> and initiatives that provide 'additionality' -

> they are not meant to replace core and essential

> funding.

>

> I also want to give a shout out to local

> businesses who also support local community groups

> and schools - many local businesses give raffle

> prizes to local school PTA's so they can raise

> funding for our kids, provide support for great

> local charities like Dog Kennel Hill Adventure

> Playground (love their recent crowdfunding

> campaign!) and sponsor local events (e.g. Property

> in Dulwich support Arts Week events and many local

> estate agents sponsor school fairs). Why begrudge

> a group of local business owners who put in a bid

> to a fund that is specifically designed and aimed

> at for local high streets developing awareness and

> pride in their area????

Sorry dear but thats why I pay the council. all ED needs is proper pavements and the rubbish pickup to become more regular again. Its not something I can actually fix by doing something other than paying this awful council tax.

But when I hear that part of my money go to ideas that are clearly not much needed yes I get furious as most of the people around that have been walking on broken pavements.

intexasatthe moment Wrote:

> And if James and the OP can stop slapping each

> other on the back for a minute they might hear

> that banners are not wanted .

>

> "by rigbydan February 16, 11:41AM

>

> Thanks James, sure we'll be in touch as things get

> moving.

>

> James Barber Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > This has been done really well in Herne Hill.

> > Great idea.

> > We tried doing this on Lordship Lane a few years

>

> > back but the lampposts weren't structurally able

>

> > to take the extra wind load factor. If the odd

> > lamppost needs replacing we'll find some other

> > funding to do that aspect to help.

> >

> > IF you need any help please just ask either

> myself

> > or Rosie."

Who knows MR James might have something to gain out of this... When a representative comes in and says "its a great idea" while he sees that most of the people of this forum aka this community is disliking the idea and he is trying to force it upon us well someone has to think of personal gains.

"..most of the people of this forum aka this community.."

Now that's stretching it a country mile.

I for one look forward to seeing Lordship Lane made more attractive. And if local businesses benefit, then that's a good use of public funds. Local regeneration and economic development is part of Southwark's remit. They're not just about bins and potholes you know.