Roundabout

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I was sure you were on this list Louisa...doesn't

> the new management know?

>

> http://www.thepoke.co.uk/2016/04/12/south-london-p

> ub-barred-list-very-funny/

I was in disguise last night. Looked like an innocent member of the public enjoying alcoholic beverages in my 'look at me' East Dulwich visitor dress. Even managed some face paint. They didn't suspect a thing ;-)

Louisa.

Louisa Wrote:

> The Lunar ale was ?5.50 a pint

Louisa! You were drinking imported US "craft" beer, so probably the most expensive option there. You wannabe hipster!

I'm sure London Pride or ESB would be quite a bit cheaper.

Jeremy Wrote:

> Louisa Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > The Lunar ale was ?5.50 a pint

>

> Louisa! You were drinking imported US "craft"

> beer, so probably the most expensive option there.

> You wannabe hipster!

>

> I'm sure London Pride or ESB would be quite a bit

> cheaper.

I only had half and wasn't keen, old man loved it. Thought it was a bit steep. Being called a hipster at my age is probably a compliment- I'm happy with that! Presumably then based on the assumption that's the most expensive drink, other beers would be considerably cheaper. That puts the place on a par with most other boozers locally then.

Louisa.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> If the Half Moon can get away with ?5.00 - ?5.50

> ..

>

> ... How much will the Dog be charging when it

> opens.. ??

>

> ?7.50 ?? You can get a hot dog for that.. :)

>

> Foxy

Imagine a 5.50 pint accompanied by a 7.50 hotdog - Now that really is the final straw ;-)

Louisa.

The EDT charge the same for craft beers Fox. I'm sure like the EDT the Half Moon will also have a few reasonably priced session ales. I'm looking forward to having a few pints of ESB which I expect to pay no more than ?4 to ?4.40 for when I finally make it down there. Looking forward to it very much as I've been going in there for over 40 years and am very fond of the old girl.

dc Wrote:

> London Pride was ?4.20 when I went in last Friday

> and it was in fine fettle. Sorry, don't know about

> ESB but it's usually a few pence more than the

> Pride isn't it?

Beer price these days seems to be linked to alcohol

content. I'm sure ESB is slightly higher.

Maybe get in some Brains SA :)

It's a Fullers pub so limited scope for other beers. I gather they are stocking beer from the Canopy Brewery just around the corner though, which is good.

Actually I have remembered that they undercharged us on the beer. The bill had three pints on it when we actually had four. We pointed this out (being very honest types) but they said it was their error so not to worry - which was very decent of them. So 4 pints for ?12.60.

We were really there to have a nose about and try the food (at 50% off!) in order to help train staff etc - a selfless gesture on our part. The standard was very good. I had potted shrimps, for example, that were (hushed tones) as good, if not better, than the same dish in Sweetings a few weeks ago. Not cheap (well not at full price) but not daft either, especially if they keep their standards up.

Just had breakfast - full English ?11.50, with tea (in a proper pot), two rounds of thick white toast and butter, total ?15.... Best black pudding I've had in a long while, good scrambled eggs... Couple on next table had pancakes with blueberries - looked good too... Not greasy spoon cheap but really good quality food, comfortable seating, no irritating background music.. All in all a decent start to the day....

dc Wrote:

> It's a Fullers pub so limited scope for other

> beers. I gather they are stocking beer from the

> Canopy Brewery just around the corner though,

> which is good.

>

> had potted shrimps, for

> example, that were (hushed tones) as good, if not

> better, than the same dish in Sweetings a few

> weeks ago. Not cheap (well not at full price) but

> not daft either, especially if they keep their

> standards up.

Isn't Sweetings legendarily terrible, though?

dc Wrote:

> It's a Fullers pub so limited scope for other

> beers. I gather they are stocking beer from the

> Canopy Brewery just around the corner though,

> which is good.

There seemed to be lots of non-Fullers beers on yesterday when I popped my head in. I think Fullers are sympathetic to pubs that have a good reputation for beer ? when they took over the Doric Arch at Euston (formerly the Head of Steam) there were fears that they would reduce the range of ales available, but they've kept up the range and quality, so fair play to them.

True. And lots of bottled options. I've always liked Fullers. They tend to refurbish pubs with a sympathy and respect not shared by a brewer formerly based in Wandsworth, amongst others.

Impressed so far - just a bit too rammed in the evenings. That will tail off a bit I guess and it's a nice problem to have: certainly better than the alternative.

dc Wrote:

> True. And lots of bottled options. I've always

> liked Fullers. They tend to refurbish pubs with a

> sympathy and respect not shared by a brewer

> formerly based in Wandsworth, amongst others.

Too true. What they did to the Grey Horse in Kingston still brings a tear to the eye.

Although the Clock House was never an authentic boozer. In the 60's it was an off licence and confectioner, and even in the 70s/80s had pretentious landlords who liked parking expensive cars out the front to impress people. Never been a massive fan of the place. The Wood House is a different story, that place has a history.

Louisa.

bob Wrote:

> There use to be a motor Bike club that met there

> can't remember the name for now.

> Bob S

Yeah, it was a bit of bikers pub back in the 70s. The Old Peculiar MC would often drink in there and the Dog and the Woodhouse.

I used to use the Clock House in the mid 70's...

.. when the big 'Regimental' guy had it.. Few pints and a King Edward Invincible cigar..

Then across the road to Bernard's French Restaurant for a Steak & Chips with Mushrooms and Petit Pois..

Those were the days when even I thought it was all the Bees Knees..

Even before anyone knew Bees had knees...

Foxy