Pies ?

Tarot

Does anyone have a good recipe/method for a proper pie, i.e. with pastry base.

I tried a while back to find the correct method of making a pie with a base online... I have never been so frustated and so close to throwing my laptop out of the window. It always came back with a "lid" receipe, which is NOT a pie in my book.

VBC - what you are making is a double-crust pie (or a pot-pie). If using shortcrust pastry, you blind bake. i.e. cook the pastry base first (pastry overlapping edge of the tin) for a few minutes. Add filling. Put on lid, sealing with beaten egg. Crimp the edge and trim. Glaze lid. Put back in oven.

If using puff, you can't really blind bake, so you just have to make sure the filling is cold when you put it in the oven.

J,

why do they give it a fancy name when it's just a good old fashion pie! Grrrrr. Pie denotes a bottom and top filled with filling... a "lid" is not a proper pie, so why the heck does this come up as the norm in recipe searches.

Thanks for the tips - I'm not having a go at you personally. I am just having a rant about pies

I bought mine at a festival, so didn't expect much as I was a bit flaky. I think it was the steak one too but it tasted like heaven in cardboard box. It wasn't the time or place to be quantitatively analysing filling/crust proportions I just remember it was good.