Snow watch

meadow408 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> the 63 bus is not running?seriousy? where can I

> check for live bus updates?

It sounds as though the 63 is running just terminating/starting at Peckham Rye, it did this last year when it snowed.

Neither the top of Lordship Lane to the South Circular, nor Forest Hill Road are remotely gritted. Both major roads and bus routes with schools off them. Surely there was enough notice to get these gritted? I don't usually complain about non-gritting because there are clearly times when snow is unexpected or grit has to be used tactically, but have just driven from Kirkdale to Marmora Road and it took an hour - black ice all the way and cars skidding everywhere.

KK - we came through Kennington from St James's at 2.30ish and it was perfectly fine although it hadn't started snowing yet just a bit heavier with traffic if anything. The roads around Kennington, Oval are usually well gritted from memory. HTH

I always wonder whether the top end of Forest Hill Road, the top of London Road and Wood Vale all suffer since they're on the edge of the borough and share a boundary with Lewisham - does each council think the other will do it?

Definitely not as bad as it was earlier in the year. There weren't many trains leaving Victoria so hopped on a 185 which brought me home. Fascinating watching the snow level increase as you got further out. VIrtually nothing at Vauxhall, Oval, an inch or so by Denmark Hill and 4 inches by the time you reach the Horniman.

I suspect the majority of the snow falling during the day where the volume of traffic on key roads helps keep the main roads clearer than in Jan when the initial drop was overnight and it had built up before traffic kicked in. Tomorrow morning, if it continues all night, will probably be more challenging!

We got a 40 bus home tonight and had the bizarre situation where all the 40 buses were being stopped at Goose Green due to "Health and Safety concerns" (yes, really) whilst the 176 and the 185 were merrily travelling up Lordship Lane along the same route.

The 363 and 63 buses were all terminating at the Rye at 7(still no service),so many of us were walking up the hill tonight,it always seems puzzling that they cannot manage to provide a service,there seems such a poor communication system too.Coming back from central london,it feels so surreal as there was little snow there but good covering in the streets around here on the slopes.