Snow watch

We took a little drive over to Chelsea at 8pm last night and were surprised to find no evidence of snow! Had to point to our snow covered car to prove to the peolpe we were visiting what it's like in SE London. Just as we left to return home it started snowing again.

its 4 inches of ice hidden by ten inches of snow where I am. Is east dulwich functional?

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> As there are so many travel threads I've closed

> the others and pointed to

>

> this one

>

>

> it'll be much easier for people to follow what's

> happening with travel if it's all in one place

Well what a surprise - most of Southwark (Camberwell north) appears to be running smoothly - but ED and College wards (topologically the most challenged) and electorally the most lost to the current administration don't appear to be getting much gritting support - but then, not many votes to lose here, are there?

Penguin68 Wrote:

> Well what a surprise - most of Southwark

> (Camberwell north) appears to be running smoothly

> - but ED and College wards (topologically the most

> challenged) and electorally the most lost to the

> current administration don't appear to be getting

> much gritting support - but then, not many votes

> to lose here, are there?

Totally agree.(tu)

fish Wrote:

> Penguin68 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Well what a surprise - most of Southwark

> > (Camberwell north) appears to be running

> smoothly

> > - but ED and College wards (topologically the

> most

> > challenged) and electorally the most lost to

> the

> > current administration don't appear to be

> getting

> > much gritting support - but then, not many

> votes

> > to lose here, are there?

>

>

> Totally agree.(tu)

Of course you are so right. Southwark Council issued an edict to all drivers of gritters that none should cross the thershold of a Labour ward. No doubt this gritting gerrymandering will be exposed by Wikileaks any minute. Conspiracy is everywhere.

I have seen one gritter in action during the snow so far, not actually gritting, and have evidence of at least 2 gritting journeys in my street (which is a bus route) one a couple of days before the snow. How many gritters out there doing their stuff in ED has anyone else seen - including the hand gritters James talks about?

when oh when will the councils realize that snowfalls in winter in the UK it's not a rare event and start investing in some more gritters etc? I was in Switzerland the other week during a rather heavy snowfall and all trains were on time and the buses had snow chaines....

Well we have had it for 3 years running, but even so it is actually still pretty rare

And telling councils to spend/invest money in this day and age needs more than fine words

Other countries, including Switzerland do not always cope well with their more regular and predictable snow either

And lastly, countries with regular snow, deal with it better not JUST because of council activity. All drivers use snowchains on pain of fine, some roads are closed off to traffic, shopkeepers and some residents are legally obliged to clear outside their premises etc - basically many things that would have britons squealing if they were implemented from on high

I cleared my steps and path and scattered a bit of grit all the way down my street. Why would it not be a good idea? Particularly smart to do it early doors, preventative innit? Though I guess I'll be out there again tonight keeping it clear.

It only took about ten minutes max. If all my neighbours did the same the street would be clear and the snow not an issue. But they are probably inside on their computers complaining someone else should be doing it for them.

first mate Wrote:

> Just out of interest, has anyone used a shovel to

> clear the snow from part of the path outside where

> they live? Do people think it is s good idea?

Of course you should, but most people who are fit and able to do it are simply too lazy to bother or are busy complaining why the council haven't snow ploughed, gritted and and no doubt already re-tarmaced the pot-holes in their street, their pavement, their garden path.