Snow watch

Jamma,

That was my thinking, but judging the results in my street I am the only one that thinks it worth doing. There are plenty of people around and most of them young and able bodied. As you say, only 10 minutes work. If done daily it would make getting about for the elderly etc.. a little easier.

Has anyone tried clip on snow cleats or chains for their shoes- do they work?

first mate Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Just out of interest, has anyone used a shovel to

> clear the snow from part of the path outside where

> they live? Do people think it is s good idea?

Cleared and gritted - but by this morning all my good work was reversed as the snow was back up to the previous morning's level again following overnight snow.

first mate Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Has anyone tried clip on snow cleats or chains for

> their shoes- do they work?

Yes and they are brilliant, I have the brand YAKTRAX (Walker traction devices) and cannot fault them.

I cleared with spade and put salt down yesterday and then i've just cleared again and instead of ice under it was just fluffy snow so was able to brush and it took no time at all and then put salt down again. i'm hopeful that i'll just need to brush everyday rather than get the spade out. Where is everyone getting grit from cos i've now run out of salt?

Just checked the grit bin and it's still empty. I called the council yesterday to get it refilled but...

On these hills, unless you grit as you clear, you're just creating a thin sheet of ice (on a very steep slope), so I won't be doing it tonight.... or until our grit bin is refilled.

We have a grit bin on our road, but not all roads have AFAIK. I think we've got one because we're categorised as a high-frost-susceptible road (and we have quite steep hills). More grit bins have been rolled out this year, but unlikely to be enough to deal with these sorts of conditions.

Ive just cleared the ice from in front of my house with a spade. The neighbour across the road then came over with his big broom and helped me. It was quite easy to do as the ice broke up in big slates. I hope my neighbours follow suit, we could get the whole road done quick as a flash.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...