Presents for Teachers

Given that I have a son who has no inclination towards handicrafts I bought teacher some posh shower gel last year and a nice candle this year but at the end of reception year we did a collection and bought all the teachers and TAs a huge bunch of flowers. Can't believe that I hadn't thought of wine - that's next year sorted.

I suspect it is more a primary school thing, and to be honest I don't remember giving teachers presents back when I was at school, except for the odd really special teacher, but it seems quite common now.

Wine is usually a winner I think, just feel a bit bad if the teacher doesn't drink, and asking gives it away....but hey, they can always wrap it up and give it away as a present to someone else I guess. Surely spending 6.5 hours a day with about 25 6&7 year old children would be enough to drive anyone to drink??????

Nappy Lady your right, I don't have much recall of it from my schooldays but it is pretty much the 'done thing ' now. I always avoided flowers especially at Christmas because if people are travelling they're somewhat wasted.

I think a reasonable bottle of wine is a safe bet, at least it won't go to waste.

The present giving ends at secondary school for sure, but I'd like to reward my daughter's A Level teachers for their relentless pushing/bullying for her to achieve her potential. The early years teachers do seem to get a disproportionate amount of thank-you's but then it's all down to our concerns with our children at that age.

To all secondary school teachers , a virtual thank you!

As a teacher, I would say that almost all gifts are very much appreciated especially the chocolate, wine and nice smellies. I say almost all because we do get a few odd ones such as the multipack of big knickers I was given a number of years ago.

womanofdulwich Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> only 25 children? surely it is 30?

25 in my daughters class WOD, due to a couple of leavers/transfers, and Southwark messing up the allocations in the first place. School was less than pleased as they are paid per child, but have to admit I feel very lucky.

I was once given a hideous vase. The little boy said "My mum didn't know what to do with this and she said , "I know we'll give it to your teacher for Christmas !" "

Wine or smellies always grateful received and may I second the virtual thank to the secondary school teachers. I tried to send a bottle of red wine to my daughter's tutor last year and she broke it on the way to school and had a bag of glass and dripping red legs to deal with.....

I'm a primary school teacher and have had all sorts of lovely gifts over the years (and a few odd ones including a fake Rolex and a box of 48 packets of Walker's crips...). I'm a fan of wine, nice chocolates, someone got me a makeup bag a few yrs ago that I still use. The year before last I got a huge panettone (sp) which was great, I took it to my parent's for those of us who don't like Christmas cake.

A friend of a friend works in an independent school in Kensington and got an ipod touch last yr!

My mum has just retired as a primary teacher and her best presents were the john lewis vouchers that the mums clubbed together to buy - she LOVED them...

Also she loved getting hand made cards from the kids and still keeps them today...

Think she was always touched by any pressies though but most useful were JL vouchers!

We always always gave presents to the teachers and on the last day of term, there would be a long line of girls queueing up, generally with perfume/perfume style things. I now realise that the teachers would then recycle them as presents for the rest of the year.

Nowadays I would tend to give a book actually, partly as it seems appropriate for a teacher!

Last Christmas all the parents clubbed together and bought our Reception teacher some vouchers for a posh spa beauty treatment. I thought that was a really good idea - much better than getting inundated with 30 random bottles of bath salts!

Pebbles - for your childminder, have you thought about giving her a 'Christmas bonus', i.e. a sum of cash? That's what I normally do for our nanny, along with a small token present (chocs, usually) so she's got something little wrapped up. As her employer I always feel I should stump up a bit extra at Christmas. I know it's not exactly very imaginative but I always feel it's what she wants/needs most, and I put it in a card with a nice note saying how much I appreciate her to give it the 'personal' touch!

I am one of the ones who force a smile when the wine gets given as i don,t drink and it will end up on the tombola stall. I would love to get a panetone or any fancy pasta from the italian deli, nice chocolate ( not the everyday stuff)

pens and post its go down well. Steer clear of the smellies and candles as we get overloaded. Never ever give a two for one meal offer given free in a newspaper (yes it happens) or you will be the talk of the staffroom!

speaking of teachers that do rather well gift wise, a primary school teacher friend of mine who used to teach at a private prep school in fulham got given ?350 worth of selfridges vouchers one year! WHAT?!?!!!!!

I think there was some sort of competition amongst the parents.... needless to say, she was pretty psyched!

I give cakes(homemade) or personalised pencil cases with pens etc allready in (as they can never have to many), we club together at end of term to buy massage vouchers etc

This year i am making cookie mixes in jars for our teachers, (these will be available to buy at Goodrich xmas Fair not by me so not self advertising lol) xx

redjam - thanks for money advice. what's the going rate if there is one? i know that with our cleaner we pay her double on her last session before xmas (another 3 hrs worth) - is that the same with childminder - a weeks salary as xmas bonus? thanks in advance i just have no idea???

sophiechristophy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> speaking of teachers that do rather well gift

> wise, a primary school teacher friend of mine who

> used to teach at a private prep school in fulham

> got given ?350 worth of selfridges vouchers one

> year! WHAT?!?!!!!!

>

> I think there was some sort of competition amongst

> the parents.... needless to say, she was pretty

> psyched!

I've heard too that present giving in Prep schools can be hugely competitive.::o

A reliable chidminder is worth her weight in gold. Many of us in London don't have extended family and depend on them, many of which will ' go that extra mile' when needed. A decent bottle of wine or John Lewis voucher can't go wrong. If your talking monetary gift then I suppose it all comes down to what you can afford but I'm sure even a modest gift would be apprciated, certainly better than nothing at all.

Yes I agree it comes down to what you can afford but a week's wages sounds like a good benchmark. My nanny is only very part-time so we pay a bit more than that, but she is lovely and I realise she could probably earn more elsewhere so I want to reward her loyalty. To be honest I end up spending more on her than close friends or members of the family, which doesn't feel quite right, but I have to remind myself it's only reasonable that I should reward her financially at Christmas for doing a good job, like other any other employer would. I like to think my kids get paid back in kind!

the things i've loved most as a primary teacher is nice mugs and hand made things. i can name every child who gave me any mug in my cupboard.

a friend of mine also got a 5 pack of rib tickler knickers one year and some anti wrinkle cream which we all thought was highly amusing!

I've always really loved handmade cards. They're easy to keep (I've kept every one in a special scrapbook, some with the student's photo, which they love to give). But I know that puts pressure on parents.

Aside from that, a gift card from a book shop would be at the top of my list. Teachers buy an incredible amount of books, with their own money. A gift card let me chose a book "just for me" instead of always looking for the kids. It's not unlike being a mom, really. Amazon would be good as well.

A gift card from a coffee shop is always nice too. Teachers don't make a load of money, and a little splurge on a pricey coffee and piece of cake is a nice treat. At ?5 a bit of a bargain I think.

But in all honestly I think most are thrilled to be thought of at all.

BTW, the teachers of older kids get really left out and you would be surprised how much one little gift can make their day.