World Cup decision ??

Mick Mac

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Can someone explain to me what is so wrong about

> spreading football to non-footballing countries?

>

I'll tell you what is wrong about it :

They don't like or support football - so why do they deserve to host and enjoy the World Cup.

What is it about you Sean that makes you talk such diplomatic bollocks. Grow some foot balls.

Well, the reasons for bidding for a World Cup are fairly straightforward - short term revenue opportunities and an elevated position on the world stage that reaps long term economic and political benefits.

They have a long term pedigree in hosting international sporting events, having hosted AFC Asian Cup in 88, FIFA U20 World Cup in 95, Asian Games in 06 and will host the AFC Asian Cup once again in 2011.

The heat is being addressed with a German-engineered cooling system - they won't be indoors - that will make them cooler than say Mexico or US World Cup games. If they're the same as we have here in Singers, they involve an incredibly fine mist that evaporates almost instantly taking the heat out of the air. Brilliant. They're powered by solar energy.

There will be booze served in fan zones.

I think dismantling the stadiums after use and shipping them to developing countries is an increbile contribution to world sport and third world charity. I can really believe that people think this is a downside?

It's reminiscent of the olympic bid video and I remember after losing the bid to us, Paris criticising our video for not having very much to do with London. The idea behind the Olympic video was that the world was already in London. I'm guessing the WC bid team thought a similar approach might work....obviously it didn't.

videos and huge ring bound presentations are all peripheral to the bid anyway - but why let that get in the way of another Mail racist tract

There are many reasons England did so badly - the BBC/Times expose didn't help, the Birmingham pitch invasion last week didn't help but I suspect the decisions had been made long before then - I would suggest the attitude FIFA sees so regularly in british papers (almost daily) about Blatter and co is a bigger factor than anyone wants to admit

If England had won the bid, would that mean everyone complaining about bungs would still be saying we shouldn't have got it because it was obviously a fix? Talk about sore losers

Well the breast beating is understandable given that this is the normal emotional over-reaction of English soccer fans.

It could be corruption, it could be that the FIFA committee are all secret anti-neo-colonial revoluationaries or that they are 15 foot long alien lizards who are anglo-phobic or that they are secretly Scottish.

It could be because most Foreigners dont like the English, either through neighbourly jealousy at not quite being English or because we did used to own most of their countries and foreign types havent gotten over us leaving - sort of international Oedipus complex.

Of course more likely is that Russia is the biggest and most powerful country in Europe and it was their go. I watched their presentation and it was great - the whole Russia Never Sleeps/linking east and west theme was very powerful.

Bahrain have the money to MAKE the games work, to build a hotel room for every fan and to create stadia that will be donated to developing countries and so internationalise the beautiful (spit) game. If free flowing beer is NOT available, good. Surely you dont NEED to be numbed by alcohol to sit through 90 minutes of the dreary game? An Islamic tournament simply reflects where the game is going. If as a soccer fan you know nothing about middle eastern soccer, shame on you as blinkered Colonel Blimps.

Face it, is the shift from the old world to the new world. We have had our go, its their go now and will be for generations. Like cricket, it is in the developing world where soccer will grow and develop not the tired, money bloated soccer playing fields of England.

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

>

> Still at least they are being men about it eh,

> Mick?

>

Was a bit of a late night rant Sean, post christmas party. But there is no justifying England not having a world cup from 1966 to 2030 (at least). The "sperad football to the world" is just a Sepp Blatter ego trip. Don't swallow it.

That doesn't mean we should toady up to him and FIFA either

But if everyone felt the organisation is as corrupt as they feel now then why get so upset.

Why should England get it anyway? Euro 96 was recent enough, one of the best leagues in the world an great stadia. We are sorted. Kids here are lucky, bordering on complacent about football. If we focused on getting the national team right and started winning tournaments then maybe we would have more clout but as it is it's embarrassing to claim any rights after a world cup performance like this summer

But kids in Russia and yes Qatar will have plenty new to look forward to. Blatter is weird and possibly crooked and and egotist. But surely it's right to push football into new territories or we would still be kicking pigs bladders around villages

Is there a funny smell off Russia winning? No more than any other result in truth

If Russia win then it FIFA must be corrupt.

I had a tinge of dissappointment, but then got over it. Blatter is a tosser but we all knew that anyway.

FIFA is corrupt, but we all knew that anyway.

I'm looking forward to a tournament in Russia, it'll be great and an excuse to go back there, possibly with fewer visa hassles than last time.

mockney piers Wrote:

> If Russia win then it FIFA must be corrupt.

>

> I had a tinge of dissappointment, but then got

> over it. Blatter is a tosser but we all knew that

> anyway.

> FIFA is corrupt, but we all knew that anyway.

>

> I'm looking forward to a tournament in Russia,

> it'll be great and an excuse to go back there,

> possibly with fewer visa hassles than last time.

I presume that will be to watch Spain...you don't need a visa with England, by the time they realise you are there, the team will be on its way home. :(

England/UK needs to either make a stand or just accept that FIFA is a corrupt organisation and they are part of it. Pull out of the next WC in protest and hopefully convince a couple of other heavyweights like France and Germany to do the same). Otherwise FIFA will never change.

Anything else is just hot air and FIFA will cover it all up, with the occasional sacrificial lamb when the evidence is too overwhelming.

FIFA has just opened a can of worms. I suspect the British media will really go to town on them now.

Russia, a country more corrupt than Nigeria whose supporters (not all of them obviously) are racist and homophobic.

Qatar, a country that has never even qualified for the World Cup where women need permission from their husbands to leave the house and homosexuality is punishable by death.

Another thing they have in common is they are both oil rich states... Money talks. Sending Lord Snooty and Prince Charming wasn't such a good idea either.

Rant over.