Kennedy's Sausages

ben

No wanting to go off topic on the Farmer's Market thread and as this isn't an ED topic I thought I'd start a new thread.

Louisa mentioned Kennedy's Sausages and I'm quite fascinated by the company but can't find any details.

Here's a company that's been trading for about 150 years, still has at least 5 or 6 shops and trades in a pretty simple and basic product - sausages. Anyone know of the history of the company?

I'll probably be shot down and told that the sausages contain all kinds of bad things but they do have a tremendous taste and are the perfect addition to a sausgage sandwich - white bread, butter and brown sauce.

ben

ben - applaud you on the good practice of starting a thread that emerges on another thread. If only more of us were so switched on...

I used to look enviously at the Kennedy shops before ED has a couple of butchers but I can't fill in any details on teh company.

I have stopped in at the Walworth Rd one once or twice and IMO the place seems to be a little less authentic than it once was - more greggs-style snacks than previously

Possibly Sean but unlike Greggs they still refuse to sell heated products and their meat doesn't have that strange pink hue. I think that they still sell brawn or tongue and their blackcurrant pies are a joy, although probably an unhealthy one if you eat too many!

Ben

PS - I have no affiliation or connection with Kennedy's

Kennedy's sausages have been a local institution for years, meeting the sausage related needs of the local working class and attracting in the right kind of immigrants as well as using up local pig meat, reared on Peckham Rye, although you lot wouldn't know about that - yes the Rye was a working farm supporting hundreds of local and itinerant hands long before it was the filthy litter, dangerous-dog and toddler infested pit it is now.

It is a travesty of so-called market economics that local people now feel they can't be bothered to walk two miles to buy their sausages just because they think they can get better sausages locally even though they are paying through the nose, all sausages are the same there is no difference you are just paying a premium for the same stuff albeit in a fancy bag. My dad, who was a pig, told me once that the stuff in Walls bangers is the same as any old Merguez what have you, only more so. That's your prerogative but don't think you're getting some kind of bargain or superior product 'cos you ain't, it's the old folk I feel sorry for, forced to buy overpriced sausages or worse, no sausages at all, because people like you won't walk the extra mile to buy locally made sausages which are of course exactly the same as any other sausage. Not everyone has a car you know, although I do, and I love driving it, but not to Peckham, I only drive it in Barnstaple, a real community that appreciates proper driving. And sausages.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... Blimey!

I'm not sure that the assertion that all sausages are the same is entirely correct. Granted they all contain meat but I would say some contain a fair amount of gristle and fat etc and some contain choice bits, usually evidenced in the price paid.

Asset - you're spot on. And I was going to post the same and the caught myself and thought "ah hang on it is satire"

I know some people do think all sausages are the same but that's demonstrably false - and if you buy sausages in the LL butchers you are guaranteed

a) pretty cheap

b) no fancy bag whatsoever - a little old fashioned wrapping paper in my experience

lozzyloz Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> IMHO the best sausages are from Kim (Libretto &

> Daughter) in Woodvale Rd.(tu)

Well said. I've been using that butchers shop for 17 years and his homemade bangers are fabulous as well as all his other produce and always served with a friendly chat and a smile.

I'm surprised Kim Libretto's Butcher shop hasn't been mentioned on this forum before but then I suppose it's because it's not on Lordship Lane and hasn't got Organic on their shop front sign. It's a hidden away gem for the likes of us in the know at this end of East Dulwich.

I liked that sausage shop that used to be on Blackfriars Rd - Simply Sausages. They did nice veggie ones. I know it's not a real suausage but still.

It is a shame Kennedy's are closing those shops. I lived just off Wally Rd for 20 years and Kennedy's is one of the few shops that was there when I moved in. The tiling is great although not as good as the tiling in Le Chardon which used to be a butchers (I think).

The only time I went in though was to get veggie haggis for Burn's night!

Jah I think it's because technically he's SE23 and as Ted the Max sausage says some people won't walk too far for a local sausage. Mrs Lozzyloz used to be borderline veggie but thanks to Kim now enjoys and appreciates good meat. He always explains where it comes from, what the best cut is etc, and as you probably know Jah, always tells his regulars when something really special comes in. A true craftsman plus good taste in music and cars!

No I'm not related in any way.

If Kennedys are shutting up shop then something must be up as there are many butchers that are getting it right.

Perhaps the grazing on the Rye aint what it used to be!

On occasions Libretto's also sell other stuff. A while back I was able to buy two tickets to the Cream reunion concert along with two good sirloin steaks. Meat & chat always good but my bro-in-law, a West Country butcher always feels the shop needs a good scrub out - it carries the trad look a little too far in terms of apparent cleanliness.

That said it remains a good competitor for WR but its location, far from all other food outlets plays against it.

I wonder if Kim will be doing Led Zep tickets? Location wise I think it's perfect for Kim. Has a good life/work balance and doesn't have any ambitions to be as big and busy as WR. Cares more about satisfying his hard core customers and being able to get away and shut up shop for at least 4 weeks in the summer.

My mum & dad used to swear by Kennedy's sausages. As soon as they whacked 'em into the frying pan they'd start effing and blinding at each other. No seriously, my dad was a sausage freak and ate them for breakfast nearly every day of his life. Wouldn't have anything else. Pity they are closing.