What to do with preschool (age 2- 3.5) children over next 2 weeks?

vanthorne

Hi there,

I'm noticing that a lot of the children centres and playgroups are closing leading up to xmas as I think a lot run to term time. I look after my 2 little girls , age 2 and 3.5 each day and just wondering what activities I can be doing with them - especially since we can't really get out to the park much in this chill...(its a different story during summer hols).

So does anyone know if there are any young kids activities that will keep up during the next two weeks...until the 24th Dec?

I think the library is open (not sure if toddler group is happening though) but apart from that I'm a bit stuck.

Any ideas appreciated...!

Thanks in advance.

Hi Dolly...yes we love going to the park...but my youngest has a habit of pulling off her hat and gloves...so if it turns to zero degrees again like last week then she can only stand the park for just a little while...before its all tears with the cold. If its warmer like today then yes the park will be the place of choice...was just looking for some indoor cosy options as well. Thanks

Thanks Fuschia....yes think I will check out Bellingham as my girl does Gymnastics there...but unfortunately gymnastics closed during xmas period..but soft play should be open as you say.

Wonder if Peckham Rye one oclock club will be open in the lead up to xmas?

dollydaydream Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Why can't you go to the park? There's a playground

> near Dulwich Swimming Baths East Dulwich Rd., Play

> Park opposite Hornimans, obviously Dulwich Park,

> Belair, Peckham Park, if you have transport

> there's a park off Sydenham Hill opposite The

> Dulwich Wood House pub call Wells Park.

>

> Good Luck!!

because it is literally freezing? I'm sure all local mums are well aware of what parks are in the area. It is no good if it is in a cold snap and it just becomes toddler cruelty.

Yep, have found this cold weather a nightmare in terms of options for a toddler!

I don't think they'd be too old for the toddler group at St Faith's on Red Post Hill (?2, 10-11.30, Monday) - this coming Monday it's a Xmas party (some people are bringing picknicky type food) and there will be entertainment from Tin Pan Annie. Not sure if it's running after next week - will find out and post if so.

Camberwell library are doing lots of children's xmas craft sessions right up to christmas eve, so it is defiantly worth checking out your closest library.

One other idea would be visiting the museum/art gallery type places to attend their organised children's activites. Also to consider organising a play date rota with other local mums?

I know this is off topic and I fully agree that going to the park all the time is no fun in the cold (in my case because I truly, deeply hate the cold - my kids don't care) but just wanted to suggest a balaclava for your youngest. Or will she just get very angry because she can't take it off?

As Belle mentioned, St Faith's does have it's Xmas party tomorrow.

The toddler group runs every Monday and is ?2 per family, which includes tea/coffee, juice, snacks. Because it only uses half the hall (the other half is used by a kindergarden) there's only so many extra children it can take, due to health and safety reasons.

Tomorrow is the last meeting - re-opens 10th January 2011!

Thanks - yes I think Balaclava would be next step...we have one of those hats that you tie underneath the chin but she still manages to get it off...so a full sock over the head with cutouts for eyes -mouths would be the next step in the cold! Will have a hunt for one.

Yep nunhead library is our local so will be paying that loads of visits...and horniman museum. Can't quite manage to get to south Ken on my own though with two so won't be venturing that far to natural history/science etc...will be easier when I just one to manage on public transport...

(Just checked Horniman is only closed 24-26 and open aside from that.)

Thanks for the ideas guys...if I hear of any other activities going on from 20th Dec I will post here...as that is the really tricky week for us...

Hi to all those in similar situation next week :...I found out that Telegraph Hill children centre/playgroup is open up to 23rd Dec. They are open 9.30 until 3.30, apart from Tuesday..when they open later at noon...due to a cooking class thing.

They might be opening on 24th but are not sure at present...but should know definately next week. So that's another place to go...which has both a warm indoor play area (with kitchen for heating food for lunches etc) and also a great outdoor play area...situated in telegraph hill park..accessible by 484, 343 and other buses running from ED area.

Worth a look if you are out of ideas and you have kids under 4.

Late plug for Toddler World at Crystal Palace Leisure Centre, which will be open at least this Wednesday and Thursday from 10 to noon. I went today with my two year old, and there were only two other families there. Large open space with soft play toys, balls, and some gymnastic equipment (trampoline, two balance beams). We took the train but there were quite a few cars in the lot so it's driveable. I think it was 3 quid to get in, for an excellent hour of running around.

I think young baby and toddler would be fine, the floor is padded out with mats, there is LOTS of space and toys for everyone. It is awesome. There is even enough for naughty mums and dads to sneak in a few moves. We got a great running jump leap combo with a spring board and horse. We didn't get told off. I think they were too shocked though. Toddler world is awesome and it is nice and warm in there too.