Horror films

jumpinjackflash

Psycho is very much of it's time but I remember my mother...who saw it at the time of it's release telling me that the real shock was that the star was knifed in the shower and didn't make it to the end of the film. Hitchcock was as much a master of the unexepected as anything. If you want Hitchcock at his best for creepy horror, check out a little known film called 'The Tenant'.....one of his first forays in to the use of sound effects in film and inspired loosely by the legend of Jack the Ripper.

Continuing on the theme of British horror/ thriller, surely 'Peeping Tom' deserves a mention. Scary no, but gruesome in content yes. The macabreness and ordinariness of the serial killer is something that film grapples with well.

And yes I agree that Halloween has stood the test of time well and still stands up as a genre breaking piece of horror cinema. I think the same can be said of 'Nosferatu' too.

The Descent is a good example of a trad "monster movie" type horror. Rec is another one.

It has become rather cliche to say so, but the original Ringu, and Ju-On were really quite scary.

Audition is a great thriller, and pretty disturbing... but I wouldn't really describe it as horror, or actually scary. See also Wicker Man.

Yeah, descent was good.

On a similar theme (doing ok with low budget British horror) I quite enjoyed Creep.

Good build up with many a nod to a certain quality section of American Werewolf in London (how has that not been mentioned, Nazi werewolf dream made me jump out of my skin when I was a wee one, and brilliant balance of horror and humour), but the final third rather suffers once monster is revealed.

His follow up, Severance, was hilarious despite casting omnipresent mockney, Danny Dyer (who actually fit the role perfectly).

'Creep' could have been a great movie but as said, once the monster was revealed it lost any credibility. 'The Descent' I thought was clever. I could totally buy the idea that an unmapped cave existed and remained unmapped because anyone that went there never got out alive. Made sense as a premise.

The first Elm St was quite scary, for a slasher, but you sort of forget that, as they got more and more silly / funny, and Freddy became a kind of antihero.

Candyman was quite good, and probably got to me a bit at the time. Very atmospheric.

I do love them too, but it has got to the point in horror where you think about five minutes in "don't tell me, it's a creepy girl with long straight hair? Yep, oh dear".

That of cours not to detract for how good it all was when it broke to us horror fans, starved of new quality fare for some time.

I don't think it's helped that the aesthetic was hungrily snapped up by game designers, meaning us gamers became jaded by it very quickly.

A british made horror film called Mum & Dad directed by Steven Sheil http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1129428/ is one to watch it will leave you with chills.

Cannibal Holocaust is certainly a vile horror film, and definitely not one for the faint hearted http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078935/

A serbian film is certainly the one film I wished I had never watched when it was shown at Raindance http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1273235/ and has left a truly bitter aftertaste.

Keef Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> >

> Candyman was quite good, and probably got to me a

> bit at the time. Very atmospheric.

I remember Candyman! Watched it in my early teens and all my friends would dare each other to look in the mirror and say 'candyman' five times. Think we got to four before chickening out!