Ideas for Christmas starter????

Steph

My husband and I have never really done Christmas at home but now with the kiddies and the mother in law due the time has come...

I was thinking about a Smoked Salmon starter maybe with cream cheese and chives? Any better ideas? We are not the best cooks in the world but not bad either!

Simple canapes to enjoy with some champagne in the sitting room, so you can all sit at the table with it looking perfect for the main course?

You can get ready made blinis and dress them with smoked salmon, creme fraiche and a little chopped dill, or some caviar, etc etc.

You can even buy ready made nibbles / canapes I think if you want to be really lazy.

I always think it is nicer to skip a full on starter as we all end up feeling so full anyway by the end of the meal!

Two amazing starters that are delicious and easy and would be great for Christmas

This is by the founder of the food store Leon - its the most lovely creamy fennel soup, just incredibly tasty

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/nov/15/fennel-soup-anchovy-croutons

The second one builds on your salmon idea but people will be enormously impressed - basically you get a side of salmon and then cure it yourself in the fridge with beetroot and vodka. The vodka cures it and the beetroot gives it a great bright pink colour. Then you slice and serve with salad or brown bread. Really easy just leave in the fridge in cling-film for 3 days

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2725/dazzling-beetrootcured-salmon

I checked the Good Food one and funnily enough it doesn't seem to cure with vodka but I am sure that I used this recipe and I am sure that I used vodka (maybe I just drank it myself!)

Anyway, I found you another beetroot cured salmon recipe that does have vokda - not that you can taste it or anything obviously

http://www.houseandgarden.com.au/vodka-beetroot-cured-salmon.htm

It really is brilliant. Moxons will do you a side of salmon and I think take out any little bones that there might be and your in-laws will be dead impressed :-)

I think I'm going to make sweet potato soup with honey, and then serve it in little coffee cups we have, as a sort of canape/starter thing. Then poss crostini (sp?) or blinis with smoked salmon, doesn't feel like christmas without smoked salmon, and parmesan crisps.

God I haven't heard of half a grapefruit for a starter since the 80's. Wonderfully nostalgic.

Thought prawn cocktail was retro...don't get me wrong, i love a prawn cocktail especially in half an avocado, but half a grapefuit I'd expect to be followed by a full English!