pblair7

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> An Estate Agent in Manchester took ALL the house

> pictures out of their window

> and replaced them with I love Manchester posters

> as a sign of respect.

>

> M&B announce the opening of their new pub.

>

> Says it all.

>

> I'm with bgw on this.

>

> DulwichFox

A royal garden party at Buckingham Palace went ahead yesterday. "Keep calm and carry on"?

Seabag Wrote:

> Come on Foxter, don't paint yourself into the

> silly corner

>

> It's nice to stride out on a Sunday, do & see

> something new.

>

> I expect to fly by one day and see you there, with

> a shandy/ale in hand.

I'm in the pub every night. (Occasionally on a Sunday.)

You will not catch me drinking Shandy.

You may well see me on a hot day outside the EDT with a Lime & Soda enjoying the sun and watching the World go by.

I'm too busy during the day since I retired to sit in the pub all day.

I do a lot of striding out.. 8,000 + steps most days.

Often pass the C&G but don't get drawn in. Even when they are open.

Not much World goes by sitting outside there. #Dull

Foxy

rendelharris Wrote:

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

>

> > I'm too busy during the day since I retired to

> sit

> > in the pub all day.

>

> Did you used to sit in the pub all day before you

> retired, and if so what was the job and how can I

> apply?

No.. I worked in Telecoms.. Back in the 70's and before many GPO Exchanges had a Bar at lunchtime.

No such facility has existed since 1983 ish

Foxy

Foxy,

No need to respond to RendelHarris's provocations. He is a sad troll.

He has got nothing beter to do than provoke people on the EDF that don't agree with his views.

If you do respond, he's guaranteed to take the bait. So predictable. He always wants to have the last word. He will flog any topic just the be the last word.

Join the club Foxy and link up with Borky, Uncleglen, me and the others. We have all been targets of his biggoted trolling.

GG

Thank you, Foxy, for your response - you clearly saw my comment as the gentle joke it was intended to be. Although we have occasionally disagreed, I'm certain you won't accept GG's invitation to join his gang of virtual bullies - I know you're better than that, as are 99% of people on here. All the best, R

Judging by your age you'd enjoy a nice pint of M&B mild Mr Fox. Yes I have done the M&B bit before but still enjoy it. And it is May mild month (try the Speaker in Victoria) - doubt if any of you young hipsters would appreciate it.

Couldn't find an M&B ad but the next best thing is Banks and here's one featuring the late Roger Moore, very fitting

malumbu Wrote:

> Judging by your age you'd enjoy a nice pint of M&B

> mild Mr Fox. Yes I have done the M&B bit before

> but still enjoy it. And it is May mild month (try

> the Speaker in Victoria) - doubt if any of you

> young hipsters would appreciate it.

>

> Couldn't find an M&B ad but the next best thing is

> Banks and here's one featuring the late Roger

> Moore, very fitting

I have been known (in the Past) to participate in the odd pint or two of Mild & Bitter.

When it came in wooden barrels. Unlike the sterilised stuff that comes in aluminium drums.

Perhaps things have changed for the better but I have always thought of it as a winter's drink.

Foxy

When I was young mild was an old man's drink (I've now joined the old people's club so OK to drink this, Manns, Mackeson etc). Up in the real world it was generally dark, but in the South due to White supremacists it was often light in colour. Clearly that is not the real reason. Mild was quite weak, and distinguished from bitter as the malted barley was toasted and the beer sweeter (and not so hoppy). Historically milds were not necessary weak and the new microbreweries do quite strong mild.

M&B did a brilliant mild at their Highgate brewery, closed, but no doubt brewed elsewhere under license. Perhaps the dog will stock it. I see that Highgate mild has been relaunched http://www.siba.co.uk/2015/01/30/award-winning-historic-highgate-dark-mild-relaunched-a-true-taste-of-history/

To be serious it would be nice to have a wider range of beers as opposed to the now ubiquitous super-hopped American style beers - some being supercooled and fizzy and ?5 a pint. The Dog in recent years had a good range of ales and my only criticism (avoiding the masses on Sunday lunch time) was no free cashpoint in Dulwich at a time before cards were accepted.

• 3 weeks later...

KalamityKel Wrote:

> Mick Mac Wrote:

> -----

> > It looks busy tonight!

>

> What kind of busy? Thought it was the 13th last

> night? I could, of course, be wrong... ;-)

Drove past and it looked very busy inside and outside. Do you want a photograph?

According to website you can book a table for food between yesterday and its official launch on Monday and receive a 50% discount on the bill. Some sort of pre launch menu trying thing. Hence why it was busy.

Louisa.

rendelharris Wrote:

> What's the price of a pint? I think somewhere on

> here a while back I posited that a pint of average

> 4% bitter would be about ?5.30, close?

>

> (Looked online for an idea of prices only to find

> its website says it's relaunching with a big party

> June 22nd!)

Does it reall matter how much a pint of 4% costs RH?

30p more, 50p more, whatever. Is that going to make or break your decision?

I don't have you down as much of a drinker, so it's negligible to the amount of joy you'll extract on your visit/s.

Come on, stop with the film-flam.

Seabag Wrote:

> rendelharris Wrote:

> -----

> > What's the price of a pint? I think somewhere

> on

> > here a while back I posited that a pint of

> average

> > 4% bitter would be about ?5.30, close?

> >

> > (Looked online for an idea of prices only to

> find

> > its website says it's relaunching with a big

> party

> > June 22nd!)

>

> Does it reall matter how much a pint of 4% costs

> RH?

>

> 30p more, 50p more, whatever. Is that going to

> make or break your decision?

>

> I don't have you down as much of a drinker, so

> it's negligible to the amount of joy you'll

> extract on your visit/s.

>

> Come on, stop with the film-flam.

I don't know why you assume I'm not much of a drinker, I can assure you as a former rugby player (something else you probably assume I'm not?) and general enjoyer of the good things in life that I'm very fond of my ale (and wine, and malt whisky, and cigars, and...God I hope my GP's not a member of this forum). Being not particularly well off I am interested in how much a pint costs, especially when it goes through the psychological barrier of not being able to get four pints out of a ?20 note.

I'm really quite curious as to how you can make assumptions about who I am and what's "flim-flam" on the basis of what I post on a discussion board. I could make all sorts of assumptions about you, particularly about your regular habit - as evinced here - of ticking people off, but I think it would be rather impertinent.

Stuck my head in last night about 6pm and had the strange sensation of being both pleased and disappointed to find it hasn?t changed much. Refurb summary: a lick of varnish plus a few gentleman?s club style chairs.

This minor tart up aside, regulars will be pleased to find everything else untouched including the queue at the bar (it was mostly empty ) and the Dulwich village contingent who view this slightly characterless suburban experience as going ?down the pub?.

I quite like it that way though and overall am very happy it has not been Clockhoused.