What do residents really like about East Dulwich?

jfish

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Keef Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > on a summers day it soemtimes feels like a

> holiday

> > resort than a part of london.

> >

> > I like ED as much as anyone, but come on.

>

> I'd like to know where 'Shadow' goes on holiday

> (mainly so I know which places to avoid).

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

:))

helena handbasket Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think that the "I like biscuits" badges idea is

> just about the greatest thing I've ever heard of.

>

>

> In fact just the other night I went into rather

> great detail to my Canadian friends about how much

> I love the people of ED. The mums are absolutely

> lovely, friendly and inclusive. But I fell in

> love with everyone; from the people at the local

> news agents to the regulars who walked past my

> house and stopped to say hello. It just isn't

> like that anywhere else.

>

> I definitely left part of myself there when I

> left:(

>

> Edited to add: Just writing that made my eyes

> well up. See what I mean?

You sure you weren't in the Land of Oz?! I was born and grew up in ED but moved a year ago to Canary Wharf to be closer to my job. The only things I really miss is Peckham Rye Park and my family who live here.

I'm 23, and have lived in East Dulwich all of my life - apart from being at uni in the Midlands for half the year for about 4 years - I'm now facing the realisation that I may not be able to live here much longer; my parents are moving out to Faversham, and other family has already moved away. I'm not sure I'll be able to afford to rent a place, especially as my non-Londoner friends all want to live in North London.

I reckon I really will miss ED, as I think it's one of the only places in London that holds some kind of tradition; most of the houses and streets surrounding Lordship Lane are old and architecturally beautiful - you don't get that the further you walk into Peckham. I'll also greatly miss the walk from Goose Green to Dulwich Park, as I agree the best thing about the area is its greenery and sympathy with nature, and whether you realise it or not, I'm sure subliminally this is what is able to calm you down after a bad week!

All the Yummy Mummies I see on the streets are truly lucky that they've found themselves in such a gem of an area, and hopefully their children will grow to love it as much as I do.

EMR what a lovely post, and I completely agree with you, especially the greenary and sympathy to nature which is so much more important to me than where is 'trendy'. Most of my friends have the same attitude towards the whole North/South thing but I've grown up in North London (Dalston actually which is apparently where everyone wants to live now Do Not ask me why!!!!) and I prefer South London sooooo much more. Dulwich is the only placed I've lived in London(and I've moved a lot and lived North, South, East, and West!) where I could see myself settling if I decided to remain in London.

Maybe you could try to find a studio flat in South within your budget?

The people are a bit too posh.

The rent is high.

The house prices are a joke.

Its right on top of Peckham.

As soon as I can move back to Kent I will.

Apart from all that its OK, ish.

Some of the comments on here have made me laugh, especially the one about it feeling like a holiday resort. I think its being blown out of all proportions, its SE London and I wouldn't really want my kids to grow up here if I have them tbh.

My husband and i moved here in 1991 with a 6 month old baby as this was the only place we could afford after selling our flat in Kennington. To begin with I was quite depressed as our house needed a lot of work and LL was really run down (it was just as Sainsbury's was opening and all the shops were shutting down). Lack of public transport was a pain and felt so far out of town and boringly suburban. It seemed like a step down.BUT... obut over the years I have really come to love living here and it has been a GREAT place for our kids to grow up. They went to local schools so could walk and cycle to school. Because their friends live locally their social life has been great and they love coming back here during holidays from Uni. I made loads of friends with other like minded mothers and now our kids are leaving home, these are the closest people in my life. Peckham Rye Park is beautiful (hope it stays that way with the cuts coming), the shops are fab and I love the way the local community is so mixed with young and old, professional people, musicians and artists etc. I was brought up and went to school in North London and would never go back.

To me, ED is the best place to live in London.

Yeah maybe will look to live with people, although I've done that for 5 years now so I kinda wanna be alone!

No, wasn't considering a studio flat either because I've lived in one before and it just means your clothes smell of your cooking haha

Won't be looking for anywhere til at least October anyway, hopefully my friend will get her place at Goldsmiths and I can persuade her to live down south. And that there will still be abundance of adverts on the residential thread :-)